Insider=No Firmware Update

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm surprised that there hasn't been any discussion about the issue that if you join the Insider program that you don't get firmware updates. (Microsoft has said that the firmware updates aren't loaded on the update server that Insiders get pointed to.)

That and the only way to leave the Insider program is to reset your phone, either through a factory reset or the WDRT.

I really want the firmware update, but I'm not ready to do a wipe/re-setup that takes 5+ hours just yet.

I'm hoping that they come to their senses and load the updates on to the Insiders update servers...

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm surprised that there hasn't been any discussion about the issue that if you join the Insider program that you don't get firmware updates. (Microsoft has said that the firmware updates aren't loaded on the update server that Insiders get pointed to.)

That and the only way to leave the Insider program is to reset your phone, either through a factory reset or the WDRT.

I really want the firmware update, but I'm not ready to do a wipe/re-setup that takes 5+ hours just yet.

I'm hoping that they come to their senses and load the updates on to the Insiders update servers...

which phone?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Win10 mobile doesn't use firmware except the one for cellular calls and data on branded phone , carrier propriety.
It uses software routines same as desktop drivers.
That's for bypassing carriers extreme late of official s.o. updates in the past (lot of Lumia blocked in Cyan due to carriers)
There was an article somewhere on Central

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Win10 mobile doesn't use firmware except the one for cellular calls and data on branded phone , carrier propriety.
That's for bypassing carriers extreme late of official s.o. updates in the past (lot of Lumia blocked in Cyan due to carriers)

That is not correct. There are 2 levels of firmware. One for the radios/cellular data part and another for the rest of the microcontrollers like display adapters, processors, USB controllers, bluetooth, BIOS etc...

This firmware is for the latter unless your device is unbranded from MS and may contain both.

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site

Not true, have you looked at the fix list for the 950/950XL firmware?

* Stability and performance improvements.
* Improvements for SD memory card support.
* Improvements for automatic display brightness settings.
* Fix for a camera problem that was causing noisy images in low-light conditions for some users.
* Fix for a 4K video problem that was causing stripes to show up while playing back recorded videos for some users.

I am suffering from random reboots because of the SD card issues.

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Just do a full backup and hard reset, it's not a big deal....

Sure no big deal other than 5+ hours of setup/download, loss of settings, loss of game progress, loss of text message history, etc... (Text message history may, or may, not restore over the days/weeks after a reset.)

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Not true, have you looked at the fix list for the 950/950XL firmware?

* Stability and performance improvements.
* Improvements for SD memory card support.
* Improvements for automatic display brightness settings.
* Fix for a camera problem that was causing noisy images in low-light conditions for some users.
* Fix for a 4K video problem that was causing stripes to show up while playing back recorded videos for some users.

I am suffering from random reboots because of the SD card issues.

which sd card do you have?

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Its just not on the Insider server, thats the issue. Its not that Insiders wont, just not right now. the firmware is to FIX known issues, its not dev preview software. So, if you are truly using the insider program as intended, its not a big deal because its not really meant for daily driver phones. Use WDRT, get the firmware, re-enroll, ta-daa. No drama needed. MS NEEDS to make the retail customers happy first, PERIOD. These issues are a black eye that can cause people to not buy the product. Why should the devs get it first if it doesnt need testing? Should it have been on our server too, yes. But im sure there is a reason why it wasnt/isnt. The dev preview, again sounding like a broken record, is intended for app developers and NOT the general public who think they are special to get the latest and greatest features.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Sure no big deal other than 5+ hours of setup/download, loss of settings, loss of game progress, loss of text message history, etc... (Text message history may, or may, not restore over the days/weeks after a reset.)

I saw the text message thing recently. My 920 no longer gets a cellular signal so i moved the sim to a 520. I saw the text messages would stop restoring, and found that if you go into the settings, turn off text message backup, wait a few seconds, and flip it back on itd kickstart it again. Had to do that several times, but it seemed to work.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Its just not on the Insider server, thats the issue. Its not that Insiders wont, just not right now. the firmware is to FIX known issues, its not dev preview software. So, if you are truly using the insider program as intended, its not a big deal because its not really meant for daily driver phones. Use WDRT, get the firmware, re-enroll, ta-daa. No drama needed. MS NEEDS to make the retail customers happy first, PERIOD. These issues are a black eye that can cause people to not buy the product. Why should the devs get it first if it doesnt need testing? Should it have been on our server too, yes. But im sure there is a reason why it wasnt/isnt. The dev preview, again sounding like a broken record, is intended for app developers and NOT the general public who think they are special to get the latest and greatest features.

No, this is just plain silly. Sometimes software fixes rely on certain firmware fixes to be in place. Sometimes bugs are only present in some combination of hardware, firmware, and software. Testing software fixes on phones that don't match the firmware version normal retail customers have is a misstep. You always want your test environment as close to the production one as possible, ideally they are identical (except for the software you're testing).

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Define "Insider".
I am not a developer nor am I an IT tech, though I have monkeyed with App Studio to side load web wrappers for local institutions for which there are no apps. I will consider myself to be general public when W10M exceeds 10% marketshare in the U.S. At 2.3% for all Windows Phone OS's (depending on reported statistics from various sources) of which W10M is a small part I would think puts any user in beta. As an adult and informed user I will install new builds that bring bug fixes and OS optimizations hoping to improve what I consider to be a lackluster battery performance. Feature come and features go, not everyone is always happy about it but that is life in the big city.
I know the risks and will use WDRT when and if necessary. I am a Windows mobile (phone) enthusiast and have been since launch of WP7.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99