01-09-2016 05:32 PM
    Any feedback from Germany?
    01-09-2016 05:35 PM
    Read better, they speaks about same build as Insiders. Simply they wrote T-Mobile doesn't block branded Lumia updates
    01-10-2016 03:30 AM
    It says that there is currently the Insider programme but the article demonstrates that updates should roll out from T Mobile and then from Microsoft probably as WaaS. No carrier is involved then
    01-10-2016 03:48 PM
    Question: Will these devices and others (which will be upgraded to W10M) also get the individual device-specific firmware? If yes, any idea when so particularly for the 640XL? Thanks.
    01-10-2016 11:48 PM
    Question: Will these devices and others (which will be upgraded to W10M) also get the individual device-specific firmware? If yes, any idea when so particularly for the 640XL? Thanks.
    Only God knows. For now
    kristalsoldier likes this.
    01-11-2016 12:08 AM
    Only God knows. For now
    Thanks! Not very encouraging, is it?
    01-11-2016 07:07 AM
    It would make sense as some things only firmware can help. How the phone talks to the OS etc.. This is the only opportunity they will have to do it as firmware requires carrier approval. So if they are doing the update they should do firmware too. It would be interesting to test firmware on insiders first but not sure how that would work with carriers. Firmware is no joke as it affects the radio stack. But my guess is insiders wouldn't calling their provider as they know it would be an MS issue. Anyways, MS is not good at communicating. They have gotten better but still not where we would like it.
    01-11-2016 10:22 AM
    Nobody knows but the versions mentioned by T-Mobile are the current ones. And they mention .29 when .63 is about to hit W10 (retail) devices tomorrow according to Daniel.

So not sure about that T-mobile info.
    01-11-2016 04:26 PM
    01-12-2016 03:04 AM
    It would make sense as some things only firmware can help. How the phone talks to the OS etc.. This is the only opportunity they will have to do it as firmware requires carrier approval. So if they are doing the update they should do firmware too. It would be interesting to test firmware on insiders first but not sure how that would work with carriers. Firmware is no joke as it affects the radio stack. But my guess is insiders wouldn't calling their provider as they know it would be an MS issue. Anyways, MS is not good at communicating. They have gotten better but still not where we would like it.
    WaaS is heading for non carrier approval. The first release of the OS should come with device specific firmware. After that, Waas takes the ball. Waas neans that Microsoft will be able to update the OS excluding the radio stack, since it is not necessary to be updated (and approved/blocked by carriers) all the time. So, Microsoft makes another huge step ahead, by giving us updates that will be OTA at any time
    Just a speculation though, there will be firmware updates during the year, but, WaaS will stop the winning about non-frequent updates and complaints like "MS has abandoned us" and other bull...
    01-12-2016 03:11 AM
    Nobody knows but the versions mentioned by T-Mobile are the current ones. And they mention .29 when .63 is about to hit W10 (retail) devices tomorrow according to Daniel.

So not sure about that T-mobile info.
    I have the feeling that as an Insider, i have a test-OS on my Lumia 1020, which is also officially released for Lumia 950/XL and the only difference between me and the 950 series, is firmware! I also feel that 950 is already enjoying WaaS don`t you think?
    01-12-2016 03:18 AM
    Everybody will benefit from WaaS I suppose. Firmware is less often updated, I mean, for Denim, x20 Lumias (except Pureview ones) didn't receive a new firmware.

I wouldn't be surprised if only the new Lumias received new firmwares, and previous ones keep the existing ones.

WaaS is a different thing, as Microsoft no longer ships a "bundle" ROM (OS+FW), but FW by carrier channel, and OS "as a service".
    01-12-2016 08:01 AM
    Haha, windows 10 mobile is ready for Windows Insider users, it looks to me that MS wants us just to use the Insider App instead of making it officially release.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    01-12-2016 11:53 AM
    WaaS is heading for non carrier approval. The first release of the OS should come with device specific firmware. After that, Waas takes the ball. Waas neans that Microsoft will be able to update the OS excluding the radio stack, since it is not necessary to be updated (and approved/blocked by carriers) all the time. So, Microsoft makes another huge step ahead, by giving us updates that will be OTA at any time
    Just a speculation though, there will be firmware updates during the year, but, WaaS will stop the winning about non-frequent updates and complaints like "MS has abandoned us" and other bull...
    Exactly. And unfortunately firmware always touches the radio stack. But my guess is that the way they are designing the code it may be easier to prove to carriers nothing has changed and get them to approve it.
    01-12-2016 12:31 PM
    That explains no more Denim-like situatiions. But let uis not just see WP. Is Android and Samsung for example giving frequent updates? My wife`s Galaxy Core and another one did not get an update for 2 years now. My 1020 is with the latest!!!
    01-17-2016 06:50 AM
    Exactly. And unfortunately firmware always touches the radio stack. But my guess is that the way they are designing the code it may be easier to prove to carriers nothing has changed and get them to approve it.
    So far, all updates were in the following scheme: Firmware+OS update. This is the same for alla OSes like Android and iOS.
    Now, a carrier,which dislikesWP, because it does not sell their brandedm phones like Android does, they just block or deny the release of e,g, Lumia 640XL. That makes Samsung,HTC LG etc sell more and Android be the :king.Thaty is not going to happen now with WaaS. And this proves that MS is serious about W10 Mobile!
    Radio stack will stay untouched but who cares? It is the OS that needs updatesmoew frequently.
    01-17-2016 06:58 AM
    You have one of the greatest phones now.Be patient as it wil lcome soon!
    kristalsoldier likes this.
    01-17-2016 07:02 AM
    You have one of the greatest phones now.Be patient as it wil lcome soon!
    LOL!! Don't quite know if you are joking or not. But yes, the 640XL is a brilliant device.
    01-17-2016 10:14 AM
    Not joking. I also love my 1020!
    01-20-2016 03:31 AM
    Please continue discussions related to W10M release dates here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...rs-inside.html
    Guytronic likes this.
    01-20-2016 03:36 AM