has anyone else noticed improved battery life in build 10586.63???

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
have the Lumia 640 and actually had to hard reset it last night in hopes of better battery I hadn't reset when I initially updated to .63 so I'm hoping this helps.

I had roughly 85% before I went to sleep around 11pm last night woke up in the middle of the night on 30% in battery saver mode

n19LZsd.png

I've seen posts saying.63 improved their batteries noticeably so I'm hoping the hard reset I did works

Sent from mTalk

PChem

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
have the Lumia 640 and actually had to hard reset it last night in hopes of better battery I hadn't reset when I initially updated to .63 so I'm hoping this helps.

I had roughly 85% before I went to sleep around 11pm last night woke up in the middle of the night on 30% in battery saver mode

I've seen posts saying.63 improved their batteries noticeably so I'm hoping the hard reset I did works

Sent from mTalk

I did a hard reset on mine with fresh installation of very few apps (Whatsapp, wallpaper and ringtone apps), with no improvement of battery life. I also disabled background use of most apps, however, the phone still drains battery like crazy in standby (see my above posts).

I don't understand why some people seemingly get great battery life on the same hardware, when other people do not.

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Definite improvement for me on my 925, which I haven't hard reset this time. Meant to but needed the phone on Saturday and have left it since as there are no issues that I have seen so far.

I'm just about back to where I was on 8.1, where I could go 2 days between charges depending on usage.

PChem

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I think I may have found the culprit of my Lumia 640 battery drain: The 64 GB SanDisk Ultra SD card.

I took out the SD card, and now I have only lost 2% battery in 2 hours, much more like what it was in WP 8.1.

So, try a new SD card, or reformat this one in the phone? Why would the SD card cause battery drain in WM10, but not WP 8.1?

indospot

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
As I have said before (numerous times), battery seems just slightly worse on this build compared to .36. Maybe a hard reset would help, but I don't wanna go there right now.

Sent from mTalk

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, here it is:

View attachment 120400

This includes charging for the last 8 hours.

As I said, battery use states that screen use was almost 60% of use, when the screen was barely on. Most of the drop in battery use occurred during standby, while only checking a couple of texts and battery status every few hours.

28% Background is pretty high. What apps are using the background power? Have you tried disabling background on those. Also what does your Overview page show?

PChem

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
28% Background is pretty high. What apps are using the background power? Have you tried disabling background on those. Also what does your Overview page show?

Thanks for the reply. However, I have solved my battery drain problem. I took out the SD card this morning, and the phone is still at 83% after 8 hours of slight use and mostly standby -- no more excessive drain in standby. That's how it was using WP 8.1.

How could the SD card cause battery drain? Could it be a slightly defective card causing constant reading and writing attempts?

I'll try a 16 GB SD card I have laying around at home and see if the problem is reproducible with that one, or if there is really an issue with my 64 GB San Disk card.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. However, I have solved my battery drain problem. I took out the SD card this morning, and the phone is still at 83% after 8 hours of slight use and mostly standby -- no more excessive drain in standby. That's how it was using WP 8.1.

How could the SD card cause battery drain? Could it be a slightly defective card causing constant reading and writing attempts?

I'll try a 16 GB SD card I have laying around at home and see if the problem is reproducible with that one, or if there is really an issue with my 64 GB San Disk card.

Wow. That was a good find!

A defective card could potentially cause high drain. I'm also very careful about sourcing SD cards. Got some fake ones online before that were unreliable. Make sure you source well in case that's part of the issue too.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Mine seems to have improved on my 930, but it's still terrible. Going to let it drain out and charge and see what happens. If it will seems crap I'll hard reset

rgc6789

May 19, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia Icon has greatly improved on this build. Been off the charger for 8 hours, used it to read news for about an hour at lunch, 2 or 3 phone calls. Average usage day - still at 66%. Prior build would be at 30-40% after 8 hours.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't understand why some people seemingly get great battery life on the same hardware, when other people do not.

Really, makes no sense.... There was nothing mentioned in build .63 about tweaks to improve battery use, I had .29 & .36 on my 640XL and battery life took a serious hit, even though I'd love to get my 2 Week old 1520 on W10 I refuse to give up great battery life on 8.1 for barely or not getting through the day on a full charge, I can use my 1520 as much as I want through the day and never worry about it running low, a luxury I won't give up, it's one of the big reasons I came back to Windows Phones 😊

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site

REALLY!! Can't understand how differences can be so sporadic??
I had .26& .36 on my old 640XL and took a big battery hit with both, with my 2 week old 1520 I get great battery life on 8.1 and even though I'd love to put W10 on it I refuse to sacrifice never having to worry about my battery getting low through the day/night just to have W10!! I've used the crap out of my 1520 on 8.1 all day/night and never had to charge it,that's with never having to turn anything off (wifi, bluetooth, location, weather, background apps and Glance is set to Always On) my 640XL was practically the same way until I put W10 on it.. It's just a luxury I will not give up, its one of the main reasons I came back to Windows Phones...

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Mine seems to have improved on my 930, but it's still terrible. Going to let it drain out and charge and see what happens. If it will seems crap I'll hard reset

Battery life is just being weird. At the time of writing my first post I had about 50% charge left (after having to top it up a bit). Left it over night and wake up to 10% battery left. Battery Saver cuts in at 20%. So I thought I'd leave it to completely empty and it gets to 4% before leaving work. Tunes on the radio were poor so thought I'd stream music over Bluetooth (my phone was already connected anyway) part way through my journey. I get to work half an hour later and it's down to 3%

It's finally cut off - I think Fitbit might be a big drainer. But will completely charge it through wired and see what happens by the time I get home. Suspect a hard reset might be in order though.

PChem

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Really, makes no sense.... There was nothing mentioned in build .63 about tweaks to improve battery use, I had .29 & .36 on my 640XL and battery life took a serious hit, even though I'd love to get my 2 Week old 1520 on W10 I refuse to give up great battery life on 8.1 for barely or not getting through the day on a full charge, I can use my 1520 as much as I want through the day and never worry about it running low, a luxury I won't give up, it's one of the big reasons I came back to Windows Phones ��

As I noted above, I figured out the battery drain problems with my 640: It was the 64 GB micro SD card.

I put a spare 16 GB micro SD card in, freshly formatted by WM10. The phone has lost only 2% battery overnight, so it seems I am back to WP 8.1 levels of battery drain.

The strange thing is that I used the same Sandisk 64 GB card in my laptop for 2 years without problems. Maybe I'll try to format it in he phone and give it another try.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I guess it depends on each individuals usage and which phone they have, in my case I was a great believer in WP8.1 on my L930 and tried many times the WP10 builds, but not until the latest .63 update can I safely say its a complete and worthy upgrade from 8.1, the latest build is as fast and fluid but with so many added features and benefits, which also now brings improved battery life, im not sure its massively improved than 8.1, but for my usage it certainly seems better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786