has anyone else noticed improved battery life in build 10586.63???

Simon Hinton

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Estimating 12 hours left on 52% for my Lumia 735, after being off the charger for 11 hours. Not what i was achieving under WP8, but i'm not too fussed. I occasionally get a bit of lag on my start screen, so the CPU must be doing something in the background that's chewing through the juice.

What I am a bit puzzled with is charging speed - it takes about five hours on a 750mAH charger to charge this thing, when it only used to take two and a bit on WP8. Has anyone else noticed this? I'd love a diagnostics app that shows battery discharge in detail (like the old one on WP7 did) just so I could keep a closer eye on it.

bburgarelli

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm getting the worst battery life out of a L1320 I ever had. Already had these problems with other builds, sure, but never on this level.
In normal usage, the L1320 last for 36 hours or more. Now I'm lucky if it survive my work time until I get home at night. Had to go to other city on monday, and the 83% battery survived for 25 minutes on Waze.

Felt like I was back in the 80's, had to stop to ask for directions.

Gautam Bhatnagar

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I wanted to check how much power my 1020 used when in idle. Very few apps are running in the background, and to keep things simple I disabled WLAN and mobile data, only 3G enabled. 10 hours without using the phone.

WP 8.1: Battery dropped 0.76 % per hour.

Upgraded without doing a hard reset first, the result was so good that I doubt it could be any better.

10586.63: Battery dropped 0.59 % per hour.

damn, i wish i'd measured my battery before i upgraded today... battery is draining so quick for me... L1020 and no hard reset! i wonder what the difference in our mileage is?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
nop, my 928 only returned to normal 8.1 denim levels after I stopped using messaging-skype and removed it from running in the background, so back to original-just-as-bad skype app

the new .63 update seems to make the actioncenter as smooth as it was on 8.1 SOMETIMES, not everywhere

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
damn, i wish i'd measured my battery before i upgraded today... battery is draining so quick for me... L1020 and no hard reset! i wonder what the difference in our mileage is?
Yeah, go figure. I was prepared to do a hard reset but the result really surprised me.

My procedure for upgrading from scratch, the point is to carry over as little as possible from the old installation:

1 - Back up (even locally with contacts+message backup incase it's the online backup that messes up things)
2 - Uninstall all apps
3 - Hard reset
4 - Uninstall all apps
5 - Update
6 - Restore locally, and adjust all settings manually, because there are several new settings to go through in W10 anyway, and to avoid issues mentioned.
7 - Install apps, without the online restore you have to do it manually.
8 - If you still have problems with the battery, try what has been suggested:

From the 950 battery thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...950-battery-life-post3337401.html#post3337401

These are just suggestions for what to try out, it's not like you should have to disable everything.
- Use a new SIM card.
- Perform a hard reset if you haven't done it yet.
- Don't restore your settings from a from a WP8.1 backup.
- Remove the SD card, it may be faulty.

Turn off:
- Cortana
- Glance
- Hello
- 4G LTE
- Bluetooth
- NFC
- "as items arrive" in email sync settings
- Feedback & Diagnostics
- Page prefetch in Edge
- Mobile hotspot (besides the one in Action center)

ericcoxtcu

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I have a 950xl. I was having decent, but no great battery life on .29. On .63, it has been excellent. I am using the glance screen, though I've turned off Hey Cortana . Prior to .63, I was losing a great deal of power even on standby. With .63, I can make it through a full day of work (I have 3 email accounts checking, including an exchange account that I have set to retrieve as they arrive, the most power hungry setting). Today, I tracked my ride to work with Runtastic (uses GPS) and used very little battery.

So yes, my battery life has been far better with .63. I liked my 950xl before, and I am extremely satisfied with it now. Box, Dropbox and OneDrive all play very nice with office, including attaching files to email. Continuum has actually proven more useful than I expected, though running it over a wireless display adapter does burn the battery pretty quickly. The only other app that really eats battery for me is the Edge Browser. Web browsing seems to use batter faster than even using Netflix (an hour of Netflix costs me 10-13% battery).

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
The only other app that really eats battery for me is the Edge Browser. Web browsing seems to use batter faster than even using Netflix (an hour of Netflix costs me 10-13% battery).

Edge will be better in the future builds as they are building this as the main browser.

sodapopjunkie

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
My battery life is far worse with this build. I'm having to charge at lunch and again at 4-5pm just to keep my phone from shutting off. On the previous build, I could easily get a full day and still have 30%+ battery life left. This is on an 830 and I did a hard-reset hoping it would make battery life better. The battery life on this build for me is comparable to some of the really early w10m builds.

ariman

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a 950xl. I was having decent, but no great battery life on .29. On .63, it has been excellent. I am using the glance screen, though I've turned off Hey Cortana . Prior to .63, I was losing a great deal of power even on standby. With .63, I can make it through a full day of work (I have 3 email accounts checking, including an exchange account that I have set to retrieve as they arrive, the most power hungry setting). Today, I tracked my ride to work with Runtastic (uses GPS) and used very little battery.

So yes, my battery life has been far better with .63. I liked my 950xl before, and I am extremely satisfied with it now. Box, Dropbox and OneDrive all play very nice with office, including attaching files to email. Continuum has actually proven more useful than I expected, though running it over a wireless display adapter does burn the battery pretty quickly. The only other app that really eats battery for me is the Edge Browser. Web browsing seems to use batter faster than even using Netflix (an hour of Netflix costs me 10-13% battery).
Just asking.. Are you on the latest firmware ?

Wes Smith

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
My 1020 is running FANTASTIC battery life on it.

batt.png

I have 53% left and last charge was around midnight last night. It's 10 am now

Wes Smith

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I think I may have found the culprit of my Lumia 640 battery drain: The 64 GB SanDisk Ultra SD card.

I took out the SD card, and now I have only lost 2% battery in 2 hours, much more like what it was in WP 8.1.

So, try a new SD card, or reformat this one in the phone? Why would the SD card cause battery drain in WM10, but not WP 8.1?

Encryption maybe or formatting issue perhaps? When you updated, did you wipe reload? If not, I would do that and also do the same on the SD and see what happens

Wes Smith

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Slighty off topic: What about ,,phone" and ,,alarm" in background, what would happen if i disable them.. To bad i can't filter 3rd party apps only.

You probably will not have the phone "app" ring when someone calls you and alarm will not work either UNLESS you have it pulled up on the screen.

I learned that the hard way when I disabled Messaging from running in the background and couldn't figure out why I was not getting notification when people message me and I would go check and there would be 40+ messages LOL

PChem

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Encryption maybe or formatting issue perhaps? When you updated, did you wipe reload? If not, I would do that and also do the same on the SD and see what happens

Yes, I chose to reinstall applications from scratch, but didn't wipe the SD card. I am currently running well with a reformatted 16 GB SD card - no excessive battery drain. I will eventually try to reformat the offending 64 GB card as well, and see if that fixes the problem.

Wes Smith

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I chose to reinstall applications from scratch, but didn't wipe the SD card. I am currently running well with a reformatted 16 GB SD card - no excessive battery drain. I will eventually try to reformat the offending 64 GB card as well, and see if that fixes the problem.

Cool!

rromerof

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting the worst battery life out of a L1320 I ever had. Already had these problems with other builds, sure, but never on this level.
In normal usage, the L1320 last for 36 hours or more. Now I'm lucky if it survive my work time until I get home at night. Had to go to other city on monday, and the 83% battery survived for 25 minutes on Waze.

Felt like I was back in the 80's, had to stop to ask for directions.

Hahahahaha, it made remember a local joke here in Mexico, something like if you have no GPS, you need to make use of "the other GPS" in which GPS stands for "G?ey, Preg?ntale al Se?or" and the translation would be "Dude, Ask the Mr." like we used to do when no GPS existed.

Per Bylund

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I'd suggest you hard reset the phone. I upgraded my 640 a couple of weeks ago (.36) and while the battery life is not stellar, I definitely get more than 10 hours out of it. If you get only 10 hours there's something other than simply W10M going on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077