03-17-2016 05:42 PM
65 123
tools
    Experiences are varying wildly, even for people on the same device and build, so it's very hard to say what will happen for you.

I haven't hard reset on the last 2 builds (Running 122 on a Lumia 925) and haven't had issues, but (IMO) your first upgrade to 10 from 8.1 probably will require a hard reset because some apps are removed and some replaced with W10M specific versions. My phone was pretty much unusable from first upgrade until I hard reset.
    Maurizio Troso and xandros9 like this.
    03-04-2016 10:15 AM
    Hello,
    I have a Lumia 640 DS and went insider because i waited long enough...
    I got mine in July last year as a gift. I was android user before 640. I had a long list of Nokia's in the past ( from 3310 to C7 with belle OS :) )
    I was really satisfied with 8.1 and enjoyed using it ! ! Never worried about app gap, because i don't need much of that, just a basic set ( facebook , viber, skype and office stuff )
    But, i was waiting for W10 like all of you, that was one big reason for me switching to windows.
    I started believing in rumors , November, December, January, February... and i had it! ( Was checking Windows Central daily )
    Went insider yesterday.
    So ... My opinion on W10... ( I joined in Release/Preview Ring (slowest and safest) and got .107)
    IT IS EPIC! 640 is made for this! Actually, my phone works better...
    I read about all problems other people have/had and i have none of it... It is really new level...
    But, you have to do it right to work like that.
    First , i did hard reset before joining insider then updated.
    After update to win10 phone things were awful! random reboots, apps crashing, in one word , i wanted to throw my phone at the wall.
    Then i tried to do one more hard reset before rollback to 8.1 aaaaaaand it was reborn, new OS completely ! Everything works! No crashes no reboots, it just works! *No resuming screen also*
    Double tap to wake works well, store is a bit slower ( in 8.1 also was ) , edge is ok, maybe a little tweaks needed ( hell, IE was worse ) better web page rendering and loading, camera works great, flashlight works ...
    Store updated 28 apps after hard reset with no problems, both connections work ( Mobile data and WiFi ) no data leaks from mobile network.
    Facebook app works, Viber works, Outlook mail sync works , Calendar is ok and syncs with Facebook, reminders work, alarms work...
    So do you update/enroll ? yes , go for it , there is also a small possibility of risk, but i personally think that other than maybe one or two resets or app crashes not much can happen.
    Battery, i almost forgot, it is EPIC! OK, so , Skype, Facebook, Viber, E mail in background with some use and with 3-4 phone calls, 10-15 sms, viber calls and msgs, 10-15 min gaming , wifi on all the time my battery dropped from 100 % ( 8 am ) to 66 % ( 7 pm ). I am shocked! It works better.
    In the end : RESET, UPDATE, RESET !
    * again, this is for Lumia 640 and i dont know how will work on other Lumias *

Sorry for long post. if u have any questions fill free to ask.
    nailzer likes this.
    03-05-2016 12:29 PM
    wow this is the most BS drivel I have ever read... you should not Reply to posts buddy. seriously!
    Being on Insiders preview builds on your main device, and your phone hangs in the middle of your work or your smartphone battery dies within few hours after fully charging it and you feel like messed and your connectivity is lost, then you would understand why not to install insiders build on your main device.
    03-07-2016 09:58 PM
    something must be wonky with your phone, because mine is working flawlessly being on insiders and everything.... no reboots no hangs and my battery lasts 2 days on a single charge... also where did you come up with being on insider voids your warranty? that's nonsense along with all the other stuff you posted in your post that I replied to... sorry but you couldn't be furthest from the truth and misinformed!
    03-08-2016 01:05 PM
    So is this new build good enough for the plunge??
    03-08-2016 03:14 PM
    So is this new build good enough for the plunge??
    I put a 640 on Insider Release and ran 10586.122 for like 2 weeks. I'm using it daily and it feels solid. The .164 is just out. Not sure how to get a solid impression so soon.

I'd say if you run the Release ring you'll be fine. I have a 1520 on 8.1 and I'm really not in a rush to get back to it. (Although I do pick it up to take pics sometimes - that's waaaay more to do with the camera module than the OS version.)

Mind you I went the whole no restore from backup and Hard Rest after upgrade. Set up everything manually.

It's kinda exhausting, but probably worth while if you are going to stick with it on a daily driver.
    03-08-2016 05:01 PM
    I put a 640 on Insider Release and ran 10586.122 for like 2 weeks. I'm using it daily and it feels solid. The .164 is just out. Not sure how to get a solid impression so soon.

I'd say if you run the Release ring you'll be fine. I have a 1520 on 8.1 and I'm really not in a rush to get back to it. (Although I do pick it up to take pics sometimes - that's waaaay more to do with the camera module than the OS version.)

Mind you I went the whole no restore from backup and Hard Rest after upgrade. Set up everything manually.

It's kinda exhausting, but probably worth while if you are going to stick with it on a daily driver.
    Considering its being considered a release candidate (got that from windows central) is a hard reset necessary since most 8.1 users will not want to do all that.
    03-08-2016 05:19 PM
    Considering its being considered a release candidate (got that from windows central) is a hard reset necessary since most 8.1 users will not want to do all that.
    It's a major version change. You make the call.

But also look at the forums and see all the anecdotal evidence about Hard Reset smoothing out the experience. If you're going to use the device daily after upgrade, don't you want to start out in the best possible position?
    03-08-2016 05:24 PM
    P.S.: On computing devices, clean install (which is what upgrade, Hard Rest, no restore will do) has always trumped anything else for system health and stability. That's not changed anywhere so far as I've learned.
    03-08-2016 05:27 PM
    P.S.: On computing devices, clean install (which is what upgrade, Hard Rest, no restore will do) has always trumped anything else for system health and stability. That's not changed anywhere so far as I've learned.
    I totally get you, and the hard reset would be best. I'll think about it. If the release is this month, no point.
    03-08-2016 06:08 PM
    something must be wonky with your phone, because mine is working flawlessly being on insiders and everything.... no reboots no hangs and my battery lasts 2 days on a single charge... also where did you come up with being on insider voids your warranty? that's nonsense along with all the other stuff you posted in your post that I replied to... sorry but you couldn't be furthest from the truth and misinformed!
    It is a good thing that the Windows 10 preview are made best not to dysfunction and brick any Windows 10 device, but using Windows 10 preview builds on any Windows device, they are always prone to have hanging, low battery life, inconsistencies, frequent reboots and bricking.
    Though Microsoft tries and does it utmost not to brick Windows devices while using Insiders preview in them, but, using Windows 10 insider preview voids your phone warranty and about that, you can learn more at http://insider.windows.com/Home/TermsOfUse , Sub- section 2.3 Support. of Section 2. Pre-Release Nature, Updates, and Support.
    03-09-2016 07:10 AM
    If official doesn't come tomorrow, I'll go insider on my 640.
    03-16-2016 09:02 AM
    Preview .164 running very well on my 640
    03-16-2016 09:07 AM
    If "the official" is released tomorrow, it would be the same as the release ring/164.
    03-16-2016 04:32 PM
    Released Today!
    03-17-2016 05:42 PM
65 123