Is WM10 Insider Preview ok for daily use?

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Nope. Insider preview builds are not stable, voids your phone warranty, may result in permanent damage of your phone, it's upto you to take risk. Not always there to result your phone damaged, data loss and unstable, but not intended for daily driver Phone. Anyway, Lumia 930 is going to get Windows 10 Mobile in Windows 10 mobile 1st wave update( Around Late January-Early February)

wow this is the most BS drivel I have ever read... you should not Reply to posts buddy. seriously!

DracShadow

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
hows the battery drain ? standby and whatsapp ? I can generally chat for around 8 hrs or more bit more with battery saver on 8.1 whatsapp. lumia 535 CV , no games, just whatsapp.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I do have a Microsoft account, and backing up to OneDrive is enabled, but I can't back up larger files such as videos this way, since they can only be backed up through Wi-Fi, if I'm not mistaken, and I don't have access to Wi-Fi. Of course, I can just move them to my computer with a USB cable, but what about things like settings and games? How do I back up those?

Alright! I've got it up and running, and there were no issues with the installation. Even the minor problems I had initially (such as not being able to connect to a PC via USB) were fixed after the remaining updates had finished downloading. I'm loving it so far, but unfortunately, the game data is gone. Although, just like I said before, it's not really that big of a deal. Thanks again for all the assistance!

Just for my understanding.
You did the whole update process without WiFi?

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I've been thinking about joining the Insider Program for Windows 10 Mobile to get my hands on W10M as soon as possible, but I'm worried about whether or not the Insider Preview is safe to use on my main device. I'm talking about data loss, stability issues, damage to my phone or such. So, is it a smart thing to do to install the Insider Preview on my main phone? It's a Lumia 930 if that makes any difference. Thanks!

You know I had/ have the same question about W10 Desktop to put on my SP3!!!

But to answer your question - whether or not installing Insider Builds violates warranties - I have been on the Insiders Ring for at least three or four updates and aside from the odd glitch, it has been stable enough for me to use as a daily driver. I should also add that it has made my 640XL seem like a new phone!!! One downside though - I have noticed that my 640XL has taken a hit in battery efficiency. This could be because (1) the relevant firmware has not been updated (yet) for the 640XL and/ or (2) W10M has not yet been optimized to be more battery efficient than what it currently is.

For me the Insiders Builds have been stable.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Back when windows phone 8.1 was in development, I asked the same question about warranty. Will my warranty be void?

According to several local sources including Nokia care Kenya, my warranty will be void on any developer or insider build. If I go to an insider build and then return to official build, then warranty stays. Warranty won't apply while I'm on an unofficially released version

That was 2 years back for Kenya

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
If the phone has a problem, generally the software should be reloaded, which will bring the phone
back to the software that came with the phone. If the phone still has the problem, then most likely
the problem is hardware. I have worked for years dealing with computers like Dell, Apple,
Sun Micro systems, and main frame computers, when I called the manufacture for service, they
want to narrow down the problem, so they try the software first, then diagnose the hardware.
Being an Insider with new software,, shouldn't have any bearing on the warranty of the phone.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Glad you got it done, the process is not all that scary really is it, and of course you can still go back to 8.1 later if you need to.

Speccy: Even though I recommended waiting, I want to say your description of the steps to upgrade were spot on. Well done.

Now that W10M appears pushed off to February, maybe I'll jump back in to Insider!!!

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
It's great to play with and I find it works just great (1020), besides you can always roll back.
That's the whole idea of Insiders, if you don't like it, just go back.
I found everything works really well (including battery life on my 1020).
But I do think people are expecting to much when they want Windows 10 to breath new life into a Dinosaur phone. Just like expecting Windows 10 to give you a new computer when you have crap hardware.
Just make sure you have a backup, in backup you can specify which apps have particular importance to you.
Texts and contacts will always restore ...... GO FOR IT.
There is enough help in here if something goes wrong, just allocate some spare time to do it :)

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
It's great to play with and I find it works just great (1020), besides you can always roll back.
That's the whole idea of Insiders, if you don't like it, just go back.
I found everything works really well (including battery life on my 1020).
But I do think people are expecting to much when they want Windows 10 to breath new life into a Dinosaur phone. Just like expecting Windows 10 to give you a new computer when you have crap hardware.
Just make sure you have a backup, in backup you can specify which apps have particular importance to you.
Texts and contacts will always restore ...... GO FOR IT.
There is enough help in here if something goes wrong, just allocate some spare time to do it :)

About your experience with Nokia Lumia 1020, have you encountered any issues recently? And what about the camera? I heard some time ago it was unable to use all of its 41mpxls.
I am thinking to uodate mine as soon as possible, but I don't want to sacrifice camera for just some impatience and go through all the mess to rollback xD

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I tried insider preview three times on two phones (820 and 920) and so far I've nearly bricked 820 once (stuck on spinning gears and latter unable to even boot into gears, showing nokia logo and turning off), had 920 unoperable and had to reflash once and when I managed to install usable/"stable" build (586.11) I experienced enormous battery drain (charger sometimes was charging less than phone was using) and hilarious os data usage (system ate 500Mb of my data plan in two days untill I noticed). So, nope, It's far from finished or maybe I'm really unlucky, but it isn't ready to be on your main phone.

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Camera works fine (quality the same as always), initially it wasn't available in the store and people freaked out and even claimed Lumia camera had been scrapped, only to find out is was available in the store a day or 2 later.
The only issue I find now is a little heat (nowhere near what it was like initially).I feel the phone does need time to settle for a few days (in those few days, I did soft resets) I have disabled anything that isn't needed, particularly auto update for store. Also it seems you are automatically signed into Skye somehow, so I signed out of that too (unless I want to use it).
Something I did notice was the fact my WiFi signal has become much better, particularly when in another room in the house.
|The 1020 was always a brilliant Camera/Phone, rather than a Phone/Camera.
windows 10 has made it an even better experience. Many negative posts in here are not about the 1020. I'd like to think they will always maintain the 1020, After all it put Nokia (and now Microsoft) back in the game .....

zazonion

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Is WM10 stable enough for daily use?

I'm using Lumia 640 and I'm getting tired of waiting for Windows 10. Is it stable enough to upgrade through the insider program and use for daily use?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
re: Is WM10 stable enough for daily use?

Difficult to answer in general.
Have you looked at the other threads about this.
I know there are many maybe too many to wade through.

All in all I would say W10 will eventually cause some disappointment currently.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re: Is WM10 stable enough for daily use?

As Guy points out, what's acceptable for some people isn't for others.

All you can do is join the Insider program and make your own decision - it's easy enough to revert if you want to afterwards.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786