03-17-2016 05:42 PM
65 123
tools
    I've been thinking about joining the Insider Program for Windows 10 Mobile to get my hands on W10M as soon as possible, but I'm worried about whether or not the Insider Preview is safe to use on my main device. I'm talking about data loss, stability issues, damage to my phone or such. So, is it a smart thing to do to install the Insider Preview on my main phone? It's a Lumia 930 if that makes any difference. Thanks!
    01-18-2016 09:10 AM
    Nope. Insider preview builds are not stable, voids your phone warranty, may result in permanent damage of your phone, it's upto you to take risk. Not always there to result your phone damaged, data loss and unstable, but not intended for daily driver Phone. Anyway, Lumia 930 is going to get Windows 10 Mobile in Windows 10 mobile 1st wave update( Around Late January-Early February)
    01-18-2016 09:16 AM
    Yes, it is.

Many people have been using the preview on their primary device for many months now.

However, this is preview software and it's possible that some functionality doesn't work as expected. Having said that, peoples perception of small issues differ greatly (some people don't mind the odd glitch, some people find them inacceptable).

It's really up to you to see if it's good enough for you or not - it's a pretty painless matter to go back to Windows Phone 8.1 if you want to.
    01-18-2016 09:19 AM
    Nope. Insider preview builds are not stable, voids your phone warranty, may result in permanent damage of your phone
    It doesn't void your warranty
    It won't cause permanent damage to your phone.
    01-18-2016 09:20 AM
    Is there any risk of losing data when rolling back to Windows Phone 8.1 if I were to encounter some issues with W10M?
    01-18-2016 09:26 AM
    I run it on my L930, and it's fine. There are a couple of niggles still (nothing show stopping), but it works and overall is an improvement over 8.1 You are very unlikely to do any damage that can't be undone (by reverting back to 8.1) which is pretty easy to do (but it's unlikely you would need to anyway). I would suggest you go for it, but after installing, do a hard reset, this will ensure that you have a clean slate to start with and will provide the best experience. Be prepared for it to download a lot of updates after it's first installed and so it will get warm and run the battery down quite quickly for a couple of hours, but once the updates are done it will settle down and should give similar battery life to 8.1 (at least that has been my observation).

The hard reset is critical for it to function properly, so don't skip this step.

What data are you concerned about specifically? There are ways to back up various things, but obviously a hard reset will wipe the phone, so if you have anything critical, you should ensure and double-check you have it backed up before proceeding. The things that spring to mind are text messages, emails, photos etc. If you have a Microsoft account, you should enable backups to your OneDrive account if you haven't already.
    Captain_Eric likes this.
    01-18-2016 09:28 AM
    I do have a Microsoft account, and backing up to OneDrive is enabled, but I can't back up larger files such as videos this way, since they can only be backed up through Wi-Fi, if I'm not mistaken, and I don't have access to Wi-Fi. Of course, I can just move them to my computer with a USB cable, but what about things like settings and games? How do I back up those?
    01-18-2016 09:43 AM
    Never mind, I didn't remember that settings and apps are also backed up automatically, but how do I bring my data back after the W10M installation?
    01-18-2016 09:47 AM
    I would install everything from scratch, but some games may well not remember your progress, if this is important to you, then may be you should hold off until it's officially released (but even then a hard reset may still be necessary, and you may not be any better off). Things like Alphajax are fine, it picks up any games in progress and syncs them just fine on a fresh installation, but others may not. You may be able to restore a Win8.1 backup to Win10M (I think I did do this on an early build of W10M), but you should ask someone more knowledgeable than I on this point.
    01-18-2016 10:07 AM
    The games and whatnot aren't that important, I was just wondering, but I want to make sure I understood you right. So, after the installation, should l wait until the updates are installed or just do a hard reset right after the phone boots up?
    01-18-2016 10:13 AM
    I would do it straight away, otherwise you'll have to download all the updates twice which is pointless and very time consuming. So, basically don't even bother setting up your account on the phone, just do a hard reset as soon as it lets you in, then when that's complete (will take a little while), carry on from there.

Good luck, though I'm sure you'll be fine. The things that bug me most about Win10M is that the keyboard seems to pop up sometimes when it ought not to, and the Outlook Mail app is quite a bit slower when sending/receiving attachments. Aside from that, it's pretty solid, doesn't crash or reboot spontaneously, and so is totally usable as your daily driver. Have fun.
    01-18-2016 10:50 AM
    Okay, I think I'll give it a go. Thanks for all the info, it was really helpful!
    01-18-2016 10:53 AM
    Let us know how you get on.
    01-18-2016 03:55 PM
    I'd wait for "production build" of W10M. It should be out "soon." Yes, the "Insider" builds are stable, but some users, including me on my 1520.3, gained a firmware update when they rolled back to 8.1. Why rush it? "Soon."
    libra89 likes this.
    01-18-2016 05:41 PM
    Just do it, I used every build and 1520
    theotrucker likes this.
    01-18-2016 05:46 PM
    When is the official release for the old lumias?
    01-18-2016 06:12 PM
    The way I see it currently is that the Insider build is 99.9% the same as what's being sold on retail units, with the added bonus that as new features or improvements are made, Insiders get it before everyone else. It's definitely stable and works fine.
    01-19-2016 01:54 AM
    Alright! I've got it up and running, and there were no issues with the installation. Even the minor problems I had initially (such as not being able to connect to a PC via USB) were fixed after the remaining updates had finished downloading. I'm loving it so far, but unfortunately, the game data is gone. Although, just like I said before, it's not really that big of a deal. Thanks again for all the assistance!
    01-19-2016 05:14 AM
    Glad you got it done, the process is not all that scary really is it, and of course you can still go back to 8.1 later if you need to.
    Roni Hanninen likes this.
    01-19-2016 05:52 AM
    It IS perfectly safe to use. I like it and I would never go back to 8.1.
    01-19-2016 12:12 PM
    Nope. Insider preview builds are not stable, voids your phone warranty, may result in permanent damage of your phone, it's upto you to take risk. Not always there to result your phone damaged, data loss and unstable, but not intended for daily driver Phone. Anyway, Lumia 930 is going to get Windows 10 Mobile in Windows 10 mobile 1st wave update( Around Late January-Early February)
    wow this is the most BS drivel I have ever read... you should not Reply to posts buddy. seriously!
    01-19-2016 03:39 PM
    hows the battery drain ? standby and whatsapp ? I can generally chat for around 8 hrs or more bit more with battery saver on 8.1 whatsapp. lumia 535 CV , no games, just whatsapp.
    01-20-2016 02:41 AM
    I do have a Microsoft account, and backing up to OneDrive is enabled, but I can't back up larger files such as videos this way, since they can only be backed up through Wi-Fi, if I'm not mistaken, and I don't have access to Wi-Fi. Of course, I can just move them to my computer with a USB cable, but what about things like settings and games? How do I back up those?
    Alright! I've got it up and running, and there were no issues with the installation. Even the minor problems I had initially (such as not being able to connect to a PC via USB) were fixed after the remaining updates had finished downloading. I'm loving it so far, but unfortunately, the game data is gone. Although, just like I said before, it's not really that big of a deal. Thanks again for all the assistance!
    Just for my understanding.
    You did the whole update process without WiFi?
    01-20-2016 03:32 AM
    I've been thinking about joining the Insider Program for Windows 10 Mobile to get my hands on W10M as soon as possible, but I'm worried about whether or not the Insider Preview is safe to use on my main device. I'm talking about data loss, stability issues, damage to my phone or such. So, is it a smart thing to do to install the Insider Preview on my main phone? It's a Lumia 930 if that makes any difference. Thanks!
    You know I had/ have the same question about W10 Desktop to put on my SP3!!!

But to answer your question - whether or not installing Insider Builds violates warranties - I have been on the Insiders Ring for at least three or four updates and aside from the odd glitch, it has been stable enough for me to use as a daily driver. I should also add that it has made my 640XL seem like a new phone!!! One downside though - I have noticed that my 640XL has taken a hit in battery efficiency. This could be because (1) the relevant firmware has not been updated (yet) for the 640XL and/ or (2) W10M has not yet been optimized to be more battery efficient than what it currently is.

For me the Insiders Builds have been stable.
    01-20-2016 04:24 AM
    Back when windows phone 8.1 was in development, I asked the same question about warranty. Will my warranty be void?

According to several local sources including Nokia care Kenya, my warranty will be void on any developer or insider build. If I go to an insider build and then return to official build, then warranty stays. Warranty won't apply while I'm on an unofficially released version

That was 2 years back for Kenya
    01-20-2016 06:18 AM
65 123