Windows Insider Preview Mobile Hotspot issues

Roni Hanninen

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I just installed the Insider Preview on my Lumia 930 a few days ago, and now, the Mobile Hotspot feature (Internet Sharing in 8.1) no longer works when trying to connect to a PS3. Connecting to a PC works, though, but there's another issue as well. When I enable Mobile Hotspot and connect to my laptop, I can't turn the feature off anymore. When I try to, it just says "Disconnecting..." and won't turn off even after several hours. Is this a common issue with the W10M Insider Preview and is there a fix to this, other than doing a hard reset? I'd really like to avoid that.

Last edited:

FiveHorizons88

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I just installed the Insider Preview on my Lumia 930 a few days ago, and now, the Mobile Hotspot feature (Internet Sharing in 8.1) no longer works when trying to connect to a PS3. Connecting to a PC works, though, but there's another issue as well. When I enable Mobile Hotspot and connect to my laptop, I can't turn the feature off anymore. When I try to, it just says "Disconnecting..." and won't turn off even after several hours. Is this a common issue with the W10M Insider Preview and is there a fix to this, other than doing a hard reset? I'd really like to avoid that.

I have the exact same issue - The issue was not fixed even after a hard reset. Have you had any luck resolving this issue?

thanks!

Roni Hanninen

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I have the exact same issue - The issue was not fixed even after a hard reset. Have you had any luck resolving this issue?

thanks!

Nope, the issue still remains. I was hoping that the latest build would help, but it didn't. I just wish Microsoft fixes this quickly, since I really need the feature. I don't feel like waiting till Redstone... But I did have similar issues on WP8.1 as well, so maybe the issue is Lumia 930-exclusive.

Roni Hanninen

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Well, whaddya know, it works! I don't know what happened, but I just thought I'd give it a go to see if I had missed an update or something that would've fixed it, and it connected! I don't know if it works for you now, but mine's up and running. We'll just have to see for how long, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. ☺

Roni Hanninen

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Well, whaddya know, it works! I don't know what happened, but I just thought I'd give it a go to see if I had missed an update or something that would've fixed it, and it connected! I don't know if it works for you now, but mine's up and running. We'll just have to see for how long, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. ☺

Looks like I celebrated too early... Mobile Hotspot only works with my laptop, not the PS3, and even then, when trying to access the Mobile Hotspot settings on W10M, it stops working and I'm forced to reboot. And in addition, trying to connect to the PS3 also causes the same problem, so I'm starting to think there's something wrong with the PS3 as well, not just Windows 10 Mobile, or at least that there are some compatibility issues. Does anyone have an idea of what's causing it?

FiveHorizons88

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I can tell you that after some testing, I found the hotspot would work on some devices but not on others. so it seemed pretty random. I ended up reverting back to Windows 8.1 and now it works perfectly fine on all devices. So it must be something with Windows 10. Not that I had tons of issues while using Windows 10 but now that I'm back to 8.1, everything on my Icon has been super stable. Once they get more kinks worked out of Windows 10 I'll go back, but the inconsistent Hotspot issue was driving me mad.

Roni Hanninen

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I can tell you that after some testing, I found the hotspot would work on some devices but not on others. so it seemed pretty random. I ended up reverting back to Windows 8.1 and now it works perfectly fine on all devices. So it must be something with Windows 10. Not that I had tons of issues while using Windows 10 but now that I'm back to 8.1, everything on my Icon has been super stable. Once they get more kinks worked out of Windows 10 I'll go back, but the inconsistent Hotspot issue was driving me mad.

It really does sound like the problem persists because of Windows 10 Mobile. Maybe I should revert to 8.1 as well for the time being.
Anyway, thanks for the info!

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
with the L928 and L929 (Icon) that is a known issue. the work around is to set the screen time out to NEVER in Lockscreen. Just have to remember to change it back when done using the hotspot.
from what I have tested, .122 does not fix this.
my best guess is that it might be firmware related and may not see a fix for this till VZW gets of there high horse and updates firmware for the devices.
if it IS firmware related, I am not holding my breath that VZW will push out a firmware update any time soon to address this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett