Finally upgrading to Windows 10 mobile

FaisalST32

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I've been waiting a long long time for Microsoft to release W10M to my L730. I've finally given up and am ready to take the leap into Insider program. I just need a little help. Since, I'll be upgrading to W10M for the first time, should I reset my phone before doing so? What apps should I look forward to installing that are exclusive to Windows 10? What are the issues/bugs that I'm most likely to run into? And other stuff like that. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
P.S. Does Windows 10M support the 'Install local apps' feature?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
1. Performing a hard reset before upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile used to be highly recommended (it probably still is), but you may also opt not too. Some users report having better performance in W10M after a hard reset than from not performing a hard reset. So if you don't have anything to lose, perform a hard reset.

2. The new native apps (Calendar and Mail, Office, Messaging, Phone, Maps, etc.) are some of those you can look forward to. They have been polished since their first release in W10M. Have a look at universal apps as well.

3. The most common issues and bugs are: loading/resuming screen, battery drain (especially with Skype logged into the new Messaging app), ringtone settings resetting after phone restart, contact photos not being able to be changed at times, not being able to call when you most need to (sometimes). Of course these bugs are not universal - they could be affecting one user while not affecting the other millions of users.

4. Other stuff? Good luck and we hope you'll enjoy a smooth upgrade and user experience, I guess.

svknet

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
After waiting for several weeks, I finally decided to go for W10M Preview with Slow Ring. I have upgraded from WP8.1 to .29 and now on .71 version. But so far I have not done hard reset. Phone is as it is will apps from WP8.1. Though I have uninstalled all games from WP8.1, and had to re-install few apps again.
My Lumia 830 is going smooth with .71 Release.
Reason why I am avoiding hard reset is because I am hoping official release for W10M would arrive soon, then I will perform hard reset :)

FaisalST32

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
i suggest resetting the phone not before you upgrade it to 10 but AFTER you successfully upgraded it to 10. besides, i suggest resetting by the keys-combination method, not in the "settings".

I'm already on W10M now. Did a reset play upgraded to Windows 10. It's working fine so far. What is the key combination by the way?

windobuddies625

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm already on W10M now. Did a reset play upgraded to Windows 10. It's working fine so far. What is the key combination by the way?

Even I took the jump to win10 for my 1320. Got tired of waiting. And my phone is working pretty well since 3 weeks. No major issues i faced. On build .29 tho. Which build are you on?

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
key-combination method is the most thorough method to reset the phone. it is as follow:

1, press and hold simultaneously the "power" key and "down" key, until you feel the phone vibrates,
2, release the "power" key, keep holding the "down" key, until you see an exclamation mark,
3, press "up", " down", "power", "down" keys in order, one at a time,
4, you should see the spinning gears, that's it.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Had a few issues with the new build, issues that I hadn't had with previous builds, but for the most part they seem to have sorted themselves out now. If you have any weird issues (with your phone that is), a hard reset does seem to sort them out... most of the time.

FaisalST32

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I just have one issue mainly. I don't seem to get notifications for new whatsapp messages at the time that they are sent. Usually I get the notification 10-15 minutes later. Other than that, works just fine for me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon