02-22-2016 08:30 AM
94 1234
tools
    I used to have an Apple ๐ŸŽ iBook which I never switch off except rebooting it every half yearly. It lasted 8 years. So, don't worry, be happy.
    02-15-2016 03:36 AM
    The idea that a computer device needs to be turned off because it needs a rest like us is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I can't tell if your preaching some kind of no gadget lifestyle or genuinely think this is technical advice
    This is from an article I read on BBC or MIT, one of the two anyway.

The silicon chips and electronics in our devices wear out with time and use. The longer you use the device, the more the electronics inside are also used and the faster they break down.

The chips have tracks and transistors built in to them that carry current. Every time current passes through them it causes tiny pits or cracks to form.

Over time, years usually the pathways in the processor or other electronic component have so many cracks that the cracks start joining and causing a faster breakdown which leads to failure of that component.

So from the way I understand it, leaving the phone on means current is always passing through the processor which can lead to a faster breakdown time. I don't mean to say your phone can breakdown in 3 months but lets say it could shave off a couple of months out of the total lifespan of 3-4 years
    02-15-2016 03:55 AM

The silicon chips and electronics in our devices wear out with time and use. The longer you use the device, the more the electronics inside are also used and the faster they break down.

The chips have tracks and transistors built in to them that carry current. Every time current passes through them it causes tiny pits or cracks to form.

Over time, years usually the pathways in the processor or other electronic component have so many cracks that the cracks start joining and causing a faster breakdown which leads to failure of that component.

So from the way I understand it, leaving the phone on means current is always passing through the processor which can lead to a faster breakdown time. I don't mean to say your phone can breakdown in 3 months but lets say it could shave off a couple of months out of the total lifespan of 3-4 years
    Agreed. It's like driving a car. The more mileage a car incurs, the more ware and tear, which means the possibility of a part breaking down. Its the same with everything that exists in this universe.
    02-15-2016 05:00 AM
    Interesting replies, I just like to have some "down time", when I don't want to be contacted and don't want to be disturbed, it's interesting to see people are switched on 24/7, when do you sleep, when do you have private time?

I find mobile phones have really screwed with the world and real time communication (no matter how convenient) people walking the streets oblivious to others (and traffic) ... and "I" am the one that has to avoid collision because "you" are so engrossed in your conversation that "I" have to take responsibility for your actions.

Apparently there is no such thing as a private conversation anymore, people readily tell anyone on the train/bus.street what is happening in their lives. My way to combat this in public is when someone starts chatting away on their phone in front of me, I just join in the conversation (obviously it's not private) I give them advice (yes, buy the blue shirt), (yes take a bottle of red instead of white for dinner tonight), "yep" get rid of that flatmate ....... "I really think you should go for that new job"..... "aaaaw, I'm so sorry your mum is sick".
    I remember PHONE BOOTHS, for privacy, now it seems nobody is interested in privacy and no matter what they are doing ..... IF THAT PHONE RINGS ..... you drop everything and answer it, even if it's just to say "SORRY, I CAN'T TALK RIGHT NOW" ...... go figure.

You can't turn your phone off for a couple of hours ....... sheeesh, seems everyone has an excuse to be available 24/7.

I'm so thankful I'm not that needy.

When out for dinner I ask everyone to place their phones face down (just for fun) the first person that picks up their phone pays the bill, needless to say, I have had quite a few free dinners.
    It seems manners have gone out the window too ........
    You must be great at parties.

Good for you that turning off your phone adds to your quality of life but we are all not like you. Your definition of "quality of life" might not apply to me. So, stop being so judgmental.

Some of us have kids. I have kids. I have family members all over the world. Different time zones. Turning my phone of isn't just being selfish, it's stupid. Especially, when there is a simple feature called Quiet Hours that blocks everything but important calls and messages. Yes, when my daughter calls me to say she loves me, that is an important call at ANY time of the day or night. No, this doesn't make me needy. This is me knowing what is important to me.

Again, I applaud you for turning off your phone. It obviously works for you. But, that is the beauty of life. We are not all the same. What works for you might not work for me. inrespect yours, you should return that courtesy.
    02-15-2016 05:07 AM
    Especially, when there is a simple feature called Quiet Hours that blocks everything but important calls and messages. .
    Is quiet hours available even though majority don't have cortana?
    02-15-2016 06:04 AM
    @Maurizio There are some phones that runs Android that can do by them self the turn on/off. Unfortunately the brand is not that trustworthy, but it was some nice features, like this one.

On symbian the alarm was almost turning on the whole phone. Ahh, I really miss this OS :) and my Nokia E71 :P
    02-15-2016 06:09 AM
    @Maurizio There are some phones that runs Android that can do by them self the turn on/off. Unfortunately the brand is not that trustworthy, but it was some nice features, like this one.

On symbian the alarm was almost turning on the whole phone. Ahh, I really miss this OS :) and my Nokia E71 :P
    I still own a N70 and N78 full optional: Tom Tom, network dlna, hotspot via bluetooth / wifi, mail browser whatsapp skype... But batteries lasted 2 hrs ! :D
    02-15-2016 06:15 AM
    Is quiet hours available even though majority don't have cortana?
    Quite Hours works irrespective of Cortana. Check settings menu.
    02-15-2016 08:38 AM
    Quite Hours works irrespective of Cortana. Check settings menu.
    Unfortunately Quiet hours is connected with Cortana. I still had to select region US in order to activate Cortana and have QH.
    02-15-2016 08:46 AM
    It's meant to be on 24/7/365. Also, turning off will disable alarm function if you are using it.
    Previously all Nokias, even if switched off, always sound alarm at set time. Then you were given an option to turn off alarm or snooz and switch on phone or keep it off. Unfortunately MS did not learn anything when they bought Nokia. They just forced everything what they thought was right. That is why you can not even charge your phone while it's off. MS is a real dumbass.
    02-15-2016 09:58 AM
    Can't blame Microsoft for alarm clock not working if the phone is switched off, that's a issue with smart phones & the way the cpu works. The alarm clock is one area where a dumb phone beats a smart phone.
    Maurizio Troso and sikurunana like this.
    02-15-2016 10:09 AM

Turning electronic components on and off is harder on them than leaving them running. Almost all electronic component failures occur either when the device is powered on or off.
    02-15-2016 10:12 AM
    It's meant to be on 24/7/365. Also, turning off will disable alarm ๐Ÿ”” function if you are using it.
    I've never understood this.
    My N8 would switch back on for the alarm.
    Would be nice if my 930 would too.
    02-15-2016 10:28 AM
    I feel like Android lives for this philosophy! Lol...we got you, bruh...*random reboots*
    Spr Cmd likes this.
    02-15-2016 11:42 AM
    Previously all Nokias, even if switched off, always sound alarm at set time. Then you were given an option to turn off alarm or snooz and switch on phone or keep it off. Unfortunately MS did not learn anything when they bought Nokia. They just forced everything what they thought was right. That is why you can not even charge your phone while it's off. MS is a real dumbass.
    Nokias had built- in-firmware alarm with auto switch on, same ad old pc desktop bios. No operatin system can reply that, even android and ios
    02-15-2016 12:48 PM
    Interesting question and responses.
    I like to unplug or go off the grid at times but because this is my main source of communication I find it hard to completely turn it off for any length of time. I do use the "Quiet Hours" with family break throughs through the night while it sits on its charging pad ready to wake me at 7am with my daily alarm.
    What I find myself doing sometimes is after work I turn my phone off to unwind and catch up on some TV, books, cooking, me time bascially (anywhere from 1-3 hours) then if I remember right away I turn my phone back on.
    Sometimes though I forget that it is off and then I get worried because I have not heard any alerts and then it dawns on me to turn it back on where lots of alerts are waiting to say hello. (usually unfortunate alerts as in work emails and gmail junk but alerts nonetheless).
    02-15-2016 02:17 PM
    I don't turn mine off very often...

screenshot-feb-13-2016-12-09-07-am-.png
    libra89, Laura Knotek and HeyCori like this.
    02-15-2016 02:37 PM
    At least for me, the alarm works even when the phone (every Lumia I've ever owned, the 950XL most recently) is powered off. Maybe I did not understand the question?
    02-15-2016 03:11 PM
    Maybe you set your alarms during your phone 'working' hours.๐Ÿ˜‚
    libra89 likes this.
    02-15-2016 04:29 PM
    I switch off every day when I go to sleep and then switch on when I wake up. Lumia 1020
    I do same!
    02-15-2016 08:42 PM
    Sometimes I reset my mobile devices to easy-mode fix some software issues. Otherwise they stay on.
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-15-2016 09:54 PM
    used to love how the old nokia's 3210 etc and 5800 styled phones used to be able to turn them off and they auto power back on at the time the alarm was set.
    I guessing that their is something to do with the way WP works that it wasn't possible to bulid that feature into the Lumias
    I'm still using Nokia 808 to wake me up in the morning. I always turn off the phone while sleeping. And auto turn on feature is great one.
    I'm trying to switch to Lumia 950, but have quite hard time, because 950 is missing a lot of great features I'm used to have on 808.
    Last edited by Nokialover2016; 02-16-2016 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Forgot quote
    02-16-2016 02:21 AM
    i turn off the phone only while in flight
    02-16-2016 03:00 AM
    I'm still using Nokia 808 to wake me up in the morning. I always turn off the phone while sleeping. And auto turn on feature is great one.
    I'm trying to switch to Lumia 950, but have quite hard time, because 950 is missing a lot of great features I'm used to have on 808.
    Auto switch-on is a firmware / bios feature, not operative system. Even old desktop pc bios had got it
    02-16-2016 03:05 AM
    I don't understand what is your point.
    It doesn't matter if it is OS or firmware feature from the user point of view. It's there and it works, that's all it matters. Every phone manufacturer, including MS can include this feature if they wanted.
    02-16-2016 05:34 AM
94 1234