Cortana not playing music on Win10 Mobile

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else having this problem? When I tell Cortana to "Play" any of my music, it will only open a Bing search. It will open Groove if I tell it to do that, but it will not play any of my library.

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Asking Cortana to play a particular song, artist or playlist is a feature that seems to be discarded in Win10 Mobile. Asking, "Play Music" should play all your music shuffled in build .107. Pervious builds would just resume the last audio application like the podcasts app for me. This ranks #2 for most missed feauture for me as I spend a lot of time in the car and would like to be able to select a song.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
If I say "shuffle music" it usually works. If I tell it to play a certain artist, it's hit or miss. The other day I said "play artist Hurtsmile" and it did the bing search thing. Frustrating, since it worked pretty reliably before.

dowland

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I find that Cortana plays my playlists ok if I say "Play Playlist" and then the name of the playlist. Usually with out fail. However she seems incapable of playing a specific song. She sometimes is able to play songs by an artist if I say "Play songs by Artist" and then the artist name. This is very hit and miss though, and usually ends up with a Bing Web search instead. Lumia 950XL 1010.586.164

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Cortana has always played anything I ask her to, and my music is all on OneDrive. I can use "Play Album Name", "Play Song Name" or "Play Artist Name" and she gets it right every time. Back before build .107 I had most of my music on my SD card and it worked fine as well. Since then I've moved all my music to OneDrive to free up space on my SD card for other files.

640LTE on .164 build.

Daneyul

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Same for me. All my songs are on Onedrive. Most of the time, Cortana won't play an individual song--even though she may play the ALBUM containing that song. Groove plays them fine manually. Can't figure out any rhyme or reason to it either. For instance:

"Wait", in the folders: Beatles->Rubber Soul in OneDrive -> Music plays fine when I ask Cortana.

"Wake up", in Arcade Fire -> Funeral in OneDrive-> Music, gets a Web search.

But, I can say "play Funeral", the album which "Wake Up" is a part of, and there's no problem.

Major borked feature for something that should be a basic thing on any modern phone OS. You can bet Siri and Google aren't stumbling on such a core function thing as playing a song via voice activation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett