W10M Insider Preview 10586.164 Issues (Threshold branch)

rayf888

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
This is so confusing

Since you are already on Redstone, maybe it's about time you find out more about Threshold 2 and decide whether you wanna stay on Redstone or revert back to Threshold 2... There are no confusion here, they are just different branch of Windows 10.

tut1234

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Running great on my 640. Seems the OS is ready for prime time. They fixed the issues with the store.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
What issues were u guys having with the store? The biggest issue I had was no notification of updates or update history

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Check the insider app. There's new rings u may not be aware of pick production or slow to get the latest version of windows 10, pick fast ring to get the updates that come after 10 (Redstone)

halflifecrysis

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Check the insider app. There's new rings u may not be aware of pick production or slow to get the latest version of windows 10, pick fast ring to get the updates that come after 10 (Redstone)

So 10586.107 is the latest build for fast ring... Now being eclipsed by better, more stable slow ring .164?

I'm still new to this.... Of the mindset fast means the latest builds in general.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
So 10586.107 is the latest build for fast ring... Now being eclipsed by better, more stable slow ring .164?

I'm still new to this.... Of the mindset fast means the latest builds in general.

107 is the last slow and production ring builds before today, today they released .164 for those 2 rings. The fast ring is reserved for windows 10 mobile phones that launched with windows 10 ...those phones get newer Redstone builds first they are a whole different set of numbers for the build

Sent from mTalk

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site

halflifecrysis

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
107 is the last slow and production ring builds before today, today they released .164 for those 2 rings. The fast ring is reserved for windows 10 mobile phones that launched with windows 10 ...those phones get newer Redstone builds first they are a whole different set of numbers for the build

Sent from mTalk

Well that explains some of my confusion because I've always been on fast and I still got .107 and .96 before that on a Lumia 1520. Then the other day someone said go slow to get the Redstone that does not follow the 10586.xx that I'm on now? (opposite to what I believe you said). Lots of confusing information. ☺ I appreciate you trying to explain.

Even when MS explains fast and slow inside their app they don't say any of them are for phones that came with 10 pre-installed and if such a ring is just for that they should denote it in writing clearly.

Like I said I've seen 2 new builds come out, different people saying I need slow to get either yet one is the Redstone and one is the 10586.xx run. All the while my "fast ring" that got me to 107 has ceased to offer any updates from either path. 😕

halflifecrysis

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
@Sedp23 I switched both Lumia 1520's over from fast to slow, update done. I still don't understand how fast ring gave me 107 if is not meant for 10586.xx 👽

mikhail-el

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I got this update from Tech Preview this afternoon. So far, so good. Battery seems lasting longer.

Yeah yeah, my 1520 battery life seems to have improved like big time. I still need to wait and see how long it actually lasts with my usage. 8.1 lasted at least 2 days and it can reach up to 3. I do turn off most of the background apps plus disable unnecessary features in both 8.1 and 10 versions. If battery life's on par with 8.1 or even better then this should be the build for production IMO.

One minor issue though - my Outlook Calendar no longer show the date and events on the live tile. I must've turned off something or it's a bug.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
@Sedp23 I switched both Lumia 1520's over from fast to slow, update done. I still don't understand how fast ring gave me 107 if is not meant for 10586.xx 👽

I actually got confused in all.this myself

I think I got confused by this article

http://m.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile-build-10586164-released

the first line says it's for production and slow rings.... My phone has been on the release preview and I got the update without changing rings.

I've always been under the impression the fast ring was for Redstone builds now with that new branch of windows 10 out there

Sent from mTalk

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Well that explains some of my confusion because I've always been on fast and I still got .107 and .96 before that on a Lumia 1520. Then the other day someone said go slow to get the Redstone that does not follow the 10586.xx that I'm on now? (opposite to what I believe you said). Lots of confusing information. ☺ I appreciate you trying to explain.

Even when MS explains fast and slow inside their app they don't say any of them are for phones that came with 10 pre-installed and if such a ring is just for that they should denote it in writing clearly.

Like I said I've seen 2 new builds come out, different people saying I need slow to get either yet one is the Redstone and one is the 10586.xx run. All the while my "fast ring" that got me to 107 has ceased to offer any updates from either path. 😕

Thus should help alot

Fast Ring:

This is the most advanced and risky ring or release channel of Windows 10 Insider Preview. If you use this ring to download and install new Windows 10 Insider Preview builds, get ready to face random issues and bugs as the builds released to this ring will be very new and less tested. Whenever Microsoft puts new features or fixes issues in Windows 10 builds, the company releases the build first to Fast ring. You are not supposed to use Windows 10 Insider Preview build downloaded from Fast ring as primary OS as it may crash and can cause issues. If you are a geek and want to test latest features of Windows 10 without waiting, you can join this ring.

Slow Ring:

This ring or release channel is less risky than Fast ring. When a new Windows 10 Insider Preview build is released to Fast ring and tested by Insiders for a few days or months, Microsoft releases the same build to Slow ring so you get a thoroughly tested build of Windows 10 on this ring. But again the build is a testing build, so you can still get bugs and issues on this ring. If you want to try and test new features of Windows 10 but want to take less risk and can wait for some days or months, then you can join Slow ring.

Release Preview Ring:

Release Preview ring or release channel is the least risky ring of Windows 10 Insider Preview. Microsoft will not release latest testing builds to this ring. Users on this ring will get the current public build but they will receive cumulative updates and newer apps in advance which will be released later to public in coming days or months. So if you want to stay on safer side but want to receive early updates and apps, you can join this ring. But don't expect latest testing builds on this ring which are delivered to Fast and Slow rings.

Now when we have talked about different rings or release channels of Windows 10 Insider Preview builds, now lets understand different branches or Windows 10 development:

Microsoft has divided Windows 10 development and release schedule into 2 main branches:
◦Development Branch
◦Current Branch

Development Branch:

Development branch contains the testing builds of Windows 10 which are delivered to Fast and Slow rings. These builds contain new features and improvements but might also come with bugs and issues. If you are on Fast or Slow rings, you get Windows 10 builds from Development branch. At the time of writing this article (i.e. Feb 11, 2016) the build on Development branch is build 14257 which is also known as Windows 10 Redstone build.

Current Branch:

Current branch contains Windows 10 build which is the latest build released to public. For example, at the moment the latest public build of Windows 10 is build 10586. So the current branch contains Windows 10 build 10586 at the moment. When Microsoft will release a new build to public, the same build will be considered the build of Current Branch. If you are on "Release Preview" ring, you are a part of Current Branch and you'll get early cumulative updates which will be later released to public. When a new update is released to the build on Current branch, the build number is incremented by decimals such as build 10586.104, etc.

So now you should have no doubts or confusions about different branches and flighting rings or release channels of Windows 10:
◦Development Branch - Fast ring and Slow ring
◦Current Branch - Release Preview ring and Public builds

If you want to test latest features of Windows 10 and are ready to get issues or bugs, you should use Fast or Slow rings to get builds from Development branch.

If you want to use Windows 10 as primary OS and don't want to face issues or bugs, you can either use "Release Preview" ring of Windows 10 Insider Preview or use the publicly released build of Windows 10. Both builds will be released from Current branch.

Sent from mTalk

halflifecrysis

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Clearly many are confused.

If my Lumia 1520 was on fast and got both .96 and .107 (both) being of the 10586.xx (non Redstone) heritage it makes no sense that I switch to slow to get the latest 10586.164

I've always understood the Redstone builds with the funky numbers are for current phones shipping with 10 and that to get the it requires Insider set to slow, but then what do they get on fast?

The Insider app itself could go deeper with scenarios when picking.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Clearly many are confused.

If my Lumia 1520 was on fast and got both .96 and .107 (both) being of the 10586.xx (non Redstone) heritage it makes no sense that I switch to slow to get the latest 10586.164

I've always understood the Redstone builds with the funky numbers are for current phones shipping with 10 and that to get the it requires Insider set to slow, but then what do they get on fast?

The Insider app itself could go deeper with scenarios when picking.
This should help alot explaining it more thoroughly .....

Fast Ring:

This is the most advanced and risky ring or release channel of Windows 10 Insider Preview. If you use this ring to download and install new Windows 10 Insider Preview builds, get ready to face random issues and bugs as the builds released to this ring will be very new and less tested. Whenever Microsoft puts new features or fixes issues in Windows 10 builds, the company releases the build first to Fast ring. You are not supposed to use Windows 10 Insider Preview build downloaded from Fast ring as primary OS as it may crash and can cause issues. If you are a geek and want to test latest features of Windows 10 without waiting, you can join this ring.

Slow Ring:

This ring or release channel is less risky than Fast ring. When a new Windows 10 Insider Preview build is released to Fast ring and tested by Insiders for a few days or months, Microsoft releases the same build to Slow ring so you get a thoroughly tested build of Windows 10 on this ring. But again the build is a testing build, so you can still get bugs and issues on this ring. If you want to try and test new features of Windows 10 but want to take less risk and can wait for some days or months, then you can join Slow ring.

Release Preview Ring:

Release Preview ring or release channel is the least risky ring of Windows 10 Insider Preview. Microsoft will not release latest testing builds to this ring. Users on this ring will get the current public build but they will receive cumulative updates and newer apps in advance which will be released later to public in coming days or months. So if you want to stay on safer side but want to receive early updates and apps, you can join this ring. But don't expect latest testing builds on this ring which are delivered to Fast and Slow rings.

Now when we have talked about different rings or release channels of Windows 10 Insider Preview builds, now lets understand different branches or Windows 10 development:

Microsoft has divided Windows 10 development and release schedule into 2 main branches:
◦Development Branch
◦Current Branch

Development Branch:

Development branch contains the testing builds of Windows 10 which are delivered to Fast and Slow rings. These builds contain new features and improvements but might also come with bugs and issues. If you are on Fast or Slow rings, you get Windows 10 builds from Development branch. At the time of writing this article (i.e. Feb 11, 2016) the build on Development branch is build 14257 which is also known as Windows 10 Redstone build.

Current Branch:

Current branch contains Windows 10 build which is the latest build released to public. For example, at the moment the latest public build of Windows 10 is build 10586. So the current branch contains Windows 10 build 10586 at the moment. When Microsoft will release a new build to public, the same build will be considered the build of Current Branch. If you are on "Release Preview" ring, you are a part of Current Branch and you'll get early cumulative updates which will be later released to public. When a new update is released to the build on Current branch, the build number is incremented by decimals such as build 10586.104, etc.

So now you should have no doubts or confusions about different branches and flighting rings or release channels of Windows 10:
◦Development Branch - Fast ring and Slow ring
◦Current Branch - Release Preview ring and Public builds

If you want to test latest features of Windows 10 and are ready to get issues or bugs, you should use Fast or Slow rings to get builds from Development branch.

If you want to use Windows 10 as primary OS and don't want to face issues or bugs, you can either use "Release Preview" ring of Windows 10 Insider Preview or use the publicly released build of Windows 10. Both builds will be released from Current branch.

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb