W10M Insider Preview 10586.164 Issues (Threshold branch)

therealcraig

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know if you're upgrading from WP 8.1 -> WM 10 without a hard reset if you're WhatsApp chat history is migrated over or will it all be lost? Looking to upgrade my 920 as I need it for development testing.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if you're upgrading from WP 8.1 -> WM 10 without a hard reset if you're WhatsApp chat history is migrated over or will it all be lost? Looking to upgrade my 920 as I need it for development testing.

make sure you save it using backup chats in settings. It'll be then saved to your sd card. But your 920 is internal memory only right so it'll be lost if you DO a hard rest(clearing of data)

Marlon Bu

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

Without a Hard Reset the chats will all be there in Windows 10.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I want to do a hard reset and have an SD Card. Can I restore the whatsapp backup after the reset or is it just for reinstalling. My battery is dismal. Hoping the reset fixes it. Tested it two nights in a row. Turned off bluetooth, wifi, mobile data, location. Then left it off the charger overnight. Both nights I lost 10%. Did it because the drainage is ridiculous during usage. Wanted to see how it idles. Unacceptable.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I want to do a hard reset and have an SD Card. Can I restore the whatsapp backup after the reset or is it just for reinstalling. My battery is dismal. Hoping the reset fixes it. Tested it two nights in a row. Turned off bluetooth, wifi, mobile data, location. Then left it off the charger overnight. Both nights I lost 10%. Did it because the drainage is ridiculous during usage. Wanted to see how it idles. Unacceptable.

Hard reset or uninstalling madre Whatsapp do the same thing. When reinstall, will notice you about a backup

Kumar Gaurav

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone, I had one doubt. I guess I missed the announcement regrading this one.
Phones like 720, 820, 920, 925 etc won't even get these insider builds anymore even if we are in the windows insider program?

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Grabbed 164 last night from the release ring. I had to move Asphalt 8 Airborne to the sd card to have enough space. I did NOT do a hard reset.

Here are some observations:
Seems smooth, with good touch response.
Battery drain much faster than 8.1.2
Rich capture works most of the time, but is slower than 8.1.2
Button labels cut off on the bottom.
Unable to update Microsoft Photos plug-in and Lumia Help + Tips (US): demanding to be saved to the device even if the settings are correct or not.
Apps list font is quite small. I have not found a way to make it larger, yet.
Lumia Clock sound no longer available! (So sad, I really liked it as my Alarm sound!).
Swiping inconsistent between different apps (such as email, notifications, camera).
After opening contact list and selecting a contact, the background screen turns from black to the theme color!
However ,while editing the contact, the background is dark, as it should be.
Unable to pin unlabeled groove app to the start screen.
Able to play my music from sd card.
Equalizer does not work with bluetooth device (JBL Flip) I've never had it work with anything but headphones on 8.1
The Calendar synced well, but I've been unable to find the options that were available on 8.1--I combine 2 calendars but cannot change the color settings for either appointments
Microsoft Health synced correctly.
The email swipes differently than any other app that I have used. May be more useful. May just be smoke and mirrors.
Some changes seem to be done just for change sake. Change is hard. Change is good!

The biggest problem for me is the battery drain. Hopefully, it will let up in a couple of days, just as 8.1.2 did
I am thinking of doing a hard reset, then re-installing one app at a time when I have the energy and optimism!!!!
(If this is not the appropriate thread or forum for these observations, please feel free to move them and let me know, please)

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Grabbed 164 last night from the release ring. I had to move Asphalt 8 Airborne to the sd card to have enough space. I did NOT do a hard reset.

Here are some observations:
Seems smooth, with good touch response.
Battery drain much faster than 8.1.2
Rich capture works most of the time, but is slower than 8.1.2
Button labels cut off on the bottom.
Unable to update Microsoft Photos plug-in and Lumia Help + Tips (US): demanding to be saved to the device even if the settings are correct or not.
Apps list font is quite small. I have not found a way to make it larger, yet.
Lumia Clock sound no longer available! (So sad, I really liked it as my Alarm sound!).
Swiping inconsistent between different apps (such as email, notifications, camera).
After opening contact list and selecting a contact, the background screen turns from black to the theme color!
However ,while editing the contact, the background is dark, as it should be.
Unable to pin unlabeled groove app to the start screen.
Able to play my music from sd card.
Equalizer does not work with bluetooth device (JBL Flip) I've never had it work with anything but headphones on 8.1
The Calendar synced well, but I've been unable to find the options that were available on 8.1--I combine 2 calendars but cannot change the color settings for either appointments
Microsoft Health synced correctly.
The email swipes differently than any other app that I have used. May be more useful. May just be smoke and mirrors.
Some changes seem to be done just for change sake. Change is hard. Change is good!

The biggest problem for me is the battery drain. Hopefully, it will let up in a couple of days, just as 8.1.2 did
I am thinking of doing a hard reset, then re-installing one app at a time when I have the energy and optimism!!!!
(If this is not the appropriate thread or forum for these observations, please feel free to move them and let me know, please)

Battery drain - let apps update over wifi while charging, make sure all apps are updated before doing anything else.
Second thing is go to settings> system > battery and check which apps can run in background and disable them
Third is go to messaging app and unlink skype. This will greatly improve your battery life
Fourth, which could take time, is to check which apps can access which service. For example groove could be accessing location info when it's not needed or word having access to location etc. Disable those that are not needed. It should be in settings > permissions

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Battery drain - let apps update over wifi while charging, make sure all apps are updated before doing anything else.
Second thing is go to settings> system > battery and check which apps can run in background and disable them
Third is go to messaging app and unlink skype. This will greatly improve your battery life
Fourth, which could take time, is to check which apps can access which service. For example groove could be accessing location info when it's not needed or word having access to location etc. Disable those that are not needed. It should be in settings > permissions

All apps were updated except for Microsoft Photo plug-in which just errors.. I've disabled most background apps.I've also been adjusting services, too.With all this done, I fully charged the phone, then unplugged it and let it sit overnight, leaving it on. This morning 40% battery gone!!! Battery Pro shows 4.6% hourly consumption!!

I've never used skype, so I will delve into those settings next.
Thanks for the info...

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
All apps were updated except for Microsoft Photo plug-in which just errors.. I've disabled most background apps.I've also been adjusting services, too.With all this done, I fully charged the phone, then unplugged it and let it sit overnight, leaving it on. This morning 40% battery gone!!! Battery Pro shows 4.6% hourly consumption!!

I've never used skype, so I will delve into those settings next.
Thanks for the info...

overnight is wifi or cellular on?

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
overnight is wifi or cellular on?
Overnight, Wifi was on....I never allow data via cellular.
To put the battery usage in perspective, my wife has a Lumia 640 also. Wifi is always on. Battery Pro states her usage as about 1.4%/hour, about what I used to get.....So, my battery usage has increased almost 300%...
I've just gone through my settings once again to try and limit the bleeding......I've never signed in to Skype to set up an account, and I have (had) Onedrive off in the background......Will give it a couple of days...If usage doesn't improve I'll either do a hard reset or go back to 8.1

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Overnight, Wifi was on....I never allow data via cellular.
To put the battery usage in perspective, my wife has a Lumia 640 also. Wifi is always on. Battery Pro states her usage as about 1.4%/hour, about what I used to get.....So, my battery usage has increased almost 300%...
I've just gone through my settings once again to try and limit the bleeding......I've never signed in to Skype to set up an account, and I have (had) Onedrive off in the background......Will give it a couple of days...If usage doesn't improve I'll either do a hard reset or go back to 8.1

disable wifi for one night and see the difference

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb