Is W10M ready as a daily on my 640?

Kartik 10

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys...i own a L640 with wp 8.1 on it. There have been rumours surrounding official release in march. Dan also mentioned that .164 is ready for the masses. Do should I join WIP or wait

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: W10M upgrade or not?

It's up to you. Everyone who responds here will have their own opinion, but you might have different ideas about what features/behaviour is important to you.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: W10M upgrade or not?

Again, there are many people using Windows 10 Mobile as their daily phone. There's also many people which are unhappy about certain aspects of it. It's up to you to read the articles and decide for yourself.

This is a personal choice for you. We can't tell you what flavour of pizza is the best.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've just gotten on Insider Release ring with a 640. Using it daily for over 2 weeks. I find it highly stable and usable. I'm really enjoying it.

I say go for it. HOWEVER, be prepared. If you want the smoothest experience... Upgrade > Hard Reset > no backup. Set your stuff up by hand.

Read the forums. Many glitches and problems are avoided by a clean install and manual setup. Xfer of 8.1 data sets to 10 may cause issues. YMMV

Roun

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I'd definitely say it's ready for use as a daily driver. I'm running it on the aging 920 and it's just as stable and about as fast as 8.1.

The only downside on this device has been lower battery life but even that is manageable.

I say go for it.

Posted from Windows Central for Windows 10

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Battery on 640 has been good for me. I'm not a very heavy user, I'm getting 2 days.

Mind you I went to W10M almost immediately, but it seems normal for the device.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the release preview ring on my 930, I would say that if it's in that ring then it most certainly is stable enough for daily use.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Just saw this recent video of W10M running on a Lumia 640 and I am amazed how quick it is compared to my Lumia 822.
This video made me buy a Lumia 640, now just waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I've just gotten on Insider Release ring with a 640. Using it daily for over 2 weeks. I find it highly stable and usable. I'm really enjoying it.

I say go for it. HOWEVER, be prepared. If you want the smoothest experience... Upgrade > Hard Reset > no backup. Set your stuff up by hand.

Read the forums. Many glitches and problems are avoided by a clean install and manual setup. Xfer of 8.1 data sets to 10 may cause issues. YMMV

I think the 640 is ready other phones have problems, but form my own experience and what I have read it works fine

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
640 LTE user here. I have been with the insider since 10586.72. This build (10586.164) is smooth, stable & the battery life is on par with Windows 8.1. I'm using it as my daily driver. Keep in mind that there can be some hangs, n reboots as it's not official build n not as polished as 8.1

If you choose to upgrade start fresh - upgrade to windows 10. do a hard reset and then let all the apps update take it slowly..

PF Mail

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
You should read thru all the posts in the forum and decide if YOU are ready for W10M on your 640 and what it means when you put your phone in the Insider program.

PF Mail

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
Heck of a loop!
The answer has to be in there someplace :)
Is this one of the 55,988 posts?

Actually, there is no answer. There, I just save the guy from reading 1550+ posts in THAT thread. That's what being an Insider is all about. Oops, I just save that guy from reading another 30000+ posts.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I'll have to agree that the 640LTE handles the latest insider builds very well. The hard reset after update is definitely the way to go. I've had very few problems with my phone since the 10586.29 release, and it's even better on the latest. With light to moderate daily use I can squeeze about 2 days of battery life out of the phone during the work week. Over the weekend it'll last from Friday morning to Sunday evening and still have about 45% charge.

I'd recommend that anyone, regardless of the model of their phone try the latest preview build as long as it is supported. If you don't like it, or you experience catastrophic results then the Windows Device Recovery Tool (WDRT) can flash you back to 8.1. After all, isn't that the idea behind the technical preview? For you and Microsoft to find out how it runs on various models before the official release. My wife has kept her 520 on 8.1 but upgraded it to Denim by using the Insider program. She will wait for the official release, but she's seen how it runs on my phone and is looking forward to it, eventually.

shadow118

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I've been using W10 as a daily driver on my 830 for about half a year now. Since 640 has pretty much the same specs as the 830, the performance also should be the same, so I'd say go for it. Everything seems to be running smooth and there are a lot of cool new features, like the expandable quick toggles or the ability to change UI scaling

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys...i own a L640 with wp 8.1 on it. There have been rumours surrounding official release in march. Dan also mentioned that .164 is ready for the masses. Do should I join WIP or wait

Let's say it is as ready as it should get. A friend of mine has a 640XL with w10 and it's working fine, only some Edge hiccups and camera shutting down sometimes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo