Storage space issues when new updates are released

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I seem to have a false reading of my storage space used by my apps. It shows 1.49 GB used by apps, but all that is installed to the internal memory besides integrated apps and features is the Adidas Train & Run app using 137 MB, and this app can't be installed to an SD card.

When I manually add together the listed size of all locally stored apps and features, I'm only coming up with approximately 982 MB used. Here is a further explanation of the issue.

I've been running Windows 10 on my Lumia 640 XL since the end of November. When build 10586.122 was released, I received notification that I didn't have enough storage for the update to download. I checked the storage space and noticed I had about 1.5 GB used by apps. I moved all the apps I could to my SD card and made sure it was set as the default storage location for everything.

This still did not clear enough space. The only apps I had left that were not part of the OS features and were not allowed to install on an SD card were the Adidas Train & Run app and Skype, which I rarely use. I deleted those long enough to get the update installed, then reinstalled the Adidas app.

Again yesterday when I tried to download build 10586.164, I was notified I didn't have enough storage space. The space used by apps was 1.49 GB on the internal storage, so again, I was able to get the update only after uninstalling the Adidas app.

Would this issue be resolved by performing a master reset? I never did this for two reasons:

1. There didn't seem to be a need because I wasn't experiencing performance issues.
2. There is one particular app I use that doesn't have any backup option. I would need to manually copy all data from this app and re-enter it after the reset, which will be a very time consuming task.

Last edited:

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
The total storage used on the device is 5.88 GB of 7.28 GB. After installing build 10586.164 and reinstalling the Adidas app, this is the breakdown of space used:

• System & reserved 3.70 GB
  • Apps & Games 1.57 GB
  • Documents 10.3 MB
  • Pictures 28.4 MB
  • Mail & Messaging 537 MB
  • Temporary files 19.2 MB
  • Other 688 KB

Prior to the build 10586.122 update, my device was showing over 6 GB, but I wasn't able to update until getting the used storage under 5.9 GB.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I've cleared the Edge history. That lowered the Apps & Games by 0.02 GB, but didn't affect any of the other reported storage amounts. The Temporary files and Other really seems insignificant compared to the total space used, but the Apps & Games seems to be reporting about 700 MB more than what I can account for.

Maybe I'll have time this week to copy that one app's information and perform a reset to see what happens.

Soypan

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same issue. In my case, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger are the only two non-included apps in the internal storage. My temporary and other storage are in the kB range, so nothing at all. The lowest I could get was 6.00 GB without uninstalling apps I use everyday (it's only two of them and they can't be moved to SD storage); this is getting truly ridiculous.

9520G

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue. For some reason the calendar/mail app is taking 20 GB! I only have around 200 emails and I rarely use the calendar.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
My issue is that any app that is forced to be placed on the device storage won't download and the apps already there, that need to be updated, won't update. Anyone else?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
My issue is that any app that is forced to be placed on the device storage won't download and the apps already there, that need to be updated, won't update. Anyone else?

Some apps, like Whatsapp, Facebook, Messages etc, can't be on sd card (infact you got an error message with a specific notice, tap on it and follow instructions)

If you are talkin about minor core apps like gestires, tips, rate your device, it's a common store iussue due to old versions, you can perfectly ignore them

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I finally got the chance to reset my phone after copying the data from the apps without a backup option. I actually used WDRT to get back to Windows Phone 8.1 and got the official Windows 10 upgrade through the Upgrade Advisor, then reset the phone again.

I think the reset is really what my phone needed to resolve the app storage issue. My System & Reserved storage used went from 3.70 to 3.17 GB, Apps & Games went from 1.57 GB to 943 MB, and total storage used on this device went from around 5.9 GB to 4.43 GB.

ronnyfm

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I updated through the official Update Advisor after resetting but now Mail and Calendar is over 1GB, no clue why this happens and it seems to happen to another W10M users, but I have not found how to reset this app, according to the store, the app should be 150 MB.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett