The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    Immediately after the upgrade all my contacts synced from my Microsoft account are gone. Only seeing people from messaging + skype and Facebook. Anyone else seeing this? Suggestions for syncing my contacts without resetting phone?

After some additional investigation, it appears the phone knows who a person is if i call their number. But their details from my outlook account are not displayed in the people app, and i cannot send SMS by name either.

I hate not being able to submit feedback from the device... MDM restriction from my employer:/
    Last edited by chsoriano; 03-18-2016 at 11:34 AM.
    jazzedmurf likes this.
    03-18-2016 11:21 AM
    I submitted this exact feedback earlier--I'm with you on this one. Seems like others are experiencing it as well, so hopefully a fix is incoming...
    03-18-2016 02:40 PM
    I submitted this exact feedback earlier--I'm with you on this one. Seems like others are experiencing it as well, so hopefully a fix is incoming...
    Awesome, thanks!
    I also noticed it's not syncing emails from before 6:58 AM.
    i_hiker likes this.
    03-18-2016 02:53 PM
    FIXED! Go to Settings / Accounts / Email & App Accounts --> Delete your Live account under the "Email, calendar, and contacts" header. Open Outlook Mail app and re-add your Live account. Should fix syncing issues for email, calendar, and--and most importantly--CONTACTS!
    03-18-2016 03:22 PM
    This happened to me last night! My phone reset in my pocket unbeknownst to me and the next time I looked, all of my contacts where gone! I freaked out until I got home and checked my contacts online and on my other phones (One, 920 and ATIV) and the other 3 still had them. It must be a gigantic bug with the latest People app update for Redstone.
    03-19-2016 09:04 AM
    Thanks for testing that and letting us know! Calendar now shows two calendars (one under " Microsoft Account" and another under "Outlook") but I guess I'll deal with it until the next time I reset
    03-19-2016 10:21 AM
    Thanks! That worked for me on my Lumia 950XL!
    03-19-2016 11:06 AM
    Can you explain how exactly did you delete your Live/Hotmail account as it does not allow me to do it!
    rotkod likes this.
    03-20-2016 11:42 AM
    Thanks for the work around. Worked for me on my 950!☺
    03-20-2016 11:17 PM
    Thanks as well! This worked for me and it worked really quickly. When I went to add my account back in the information was already stored, like my password, so I just clicked on the name and it repopulated my email and my contacts very quickly.
    03-21-2016 11:35 AM
    I deleted and re added my account and this didn't work for me
    rotkod likes this.
    03-22-2016 04:57 AM
    I've lost my contacts after upgrading to windows 10 mobile on my Lumia 640 XL, and after 2 days of search found this solution on a forum that worked for me:

1. Go to your microsoft account via browser and add an alias account: your info> manage your sign-in email or phone number> Add email> Add alias> Create a new email address and add it as an alias

An alias account is a secondary account with the same password and information as your primary outlook account.

After creating an alias account follow these steps on your phone:

1. Go to settings
    2. Accounts
    3. Your email and accounts
    4. Add an account
    5. Advanced setup (DO NOT use outlook.com! it is important to do this via advanced setup)
    6. Exchange ActiveSync
    7. Email Address: (Enter your alias account email address)
    8. Password: (the same as your primary microsoft account password)
    9. User name: ( Enter your alias account email address)
    10. Domain: (leave it blank)
    11. Server: ( m.outlook.com or if you use other like hotmail m.hotmail.com)
    12. make sure the Server requires.... is checked.
    13. Account name: (whatever you like)
    14. Sign in

After this go to people app settings and it should be synced, if not add this account and let it sync.

I hope this solution helps you.
    ttsoldier and andred001 like this.
    03-29-2016 08:36 AM
    I've lost my contacts after upgrading to windows 10 mobile on my Lumia 640 XL, and after 2 days of search found this solution on a forum that worked for me:

1. Go to your microsoft account via browser and add an alias account: your info> manage your sign-in email or phone number> Add email> Add alias> Create a new email address and add it as an alias

An alias account is a secondary account with the same password and information as your primary outlook account.

After creating an alias account follow these steps on your phone:

1. Go to settings
    2. Accounts
    3. Your email and accounts
    4. Add an account
    5. Advanced setup (DO NOT use outlook.com! it is important to do this via advanced setup)
    6. Exchange ActiveSync
    7. Email Address: (Enter your alias account email address)
    8. Password: (the same as your primary microsoft account password)
    9. User name: ( Enter your alias account email address)
    10. Domain: (leave it blank)
    11. Server: ( m.outlook.com or if you use other like hotmail m.hotmail.com)
    12. make sure the Server requires.... is checked.
    13. Account name: (whatever you like)
    14. Sign in

After this go to people app settings and it should be synced, if not add this account and let it sync.

I hope this solution helps you.
    Thanks for this. I just experienced this people app bug as well. Mine happened when all the mail in my outlook app just disappeared and would not resync. I deleted the account and re-added it. The mail came back but the contacts were gone. I knew I still had them because they showed up on people.live.com and on my surface pro 4.

Your solution helped. Thank you again. I now have my contacts. However, I did not create an alias. I did it with the same account and I used m.hotmail.com
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    03-29-2016 02:25 PM
    I'm glad this helped you. :)
    Your way is easier :D
    03-29-2016 05:27 PM
    Thanks very much for this I upgraded to W10M on my 640XL and had the same problem and this solution has worked for me
    03-30-2016 03:35 AM
    I'm glad this helped you. :)
    Your way is easier :D
    Strange though. After I did this, whatsapp is now not refreshing ALL my favorites. I only have some :(
    03-31-2016 07:24 AM
    Thanks for the posts. I haven't had success with the recommendations here. Still looking for a solution. I had double emails in my inbox this morning. I deleted the account and re-entered it. The inbox went back to normal but my "People" disappeared from the app. I've deleted the account and re-entered it a couple of times and no success. Glad I still have a Blackberry working on Verizon.
    03-31-2016 02:20 PM
    I had this very same problem with My L930 when I weas forced to do a hard reset. Lost my contacs.
    I had linked contacts from corporate account and my personal people account. Deleted the links between the two yesterday, this morning acording to the phone people app was updated and appears the the missing contacts game back to the phone. Running latest insider fast.
    04-01-2016 12:25 AM
    I'm with you all. I have 2 phones running insider and it happened to both... Trying the delete / add fix now.
    04-02-2016 11:54 PM
    I noticed that one of my contact had 70+ links and certainly in have not made them... removed those on PC people app and looks like that the phone updated accordingly.
    04-04-2016 06:56 AM
    Kind of a related question. I have two Lumia devices (L950 and L650). The 950 is my daily driver (10586.218). The 650 is on the Redstone branch (14328.1000), and does not contain a sync of my latest contacts and calendar entries (MS Live account in Outlook.com), while the desktop PC and 950 are all synced. How do I get the 650 to sync?

Update: I got it fixed. The problem was in the settings. I would look at the "Settings/Accounts/Email & App Accounts" and see the Gmail.com account under "Email, calendar, and contacts" and the Outlook.com account under "Account used by other apps" but assumed that the Outlook account was tagged for email, calendar, contacts. By adding it into the correct category then the sync occurred well. (Memo to self: Pay attention to the details!)
    Last edited by DLong4; 05-03-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    05-01-2016 08:18 AM
    I just noticed today that I have this problem, and the solutions offered here haven't helped me (yet). I'll try again tomorrow, but I'm really hoping I don't have to hard reset.
    05-13-2016 09:23 PM
    Dear Kayvan Milani, Your solution is incredible! And it truly saved my life! I upgraded my Lumia 640 yesterday to Windows 10 and discovered that all my contacts and calendar was lost. The default account that I had set up that had my contacts and calendar was not synching correctly. Went to the AT&T store, and they had no solution, they were at a complete loss. Went to the Microsoft store, they could not help either, the best they could suggest was "resetting the phone to factory configurations, with no guarantee for a solution".

However your solution about setting up an alias worked like a charm. After setting up an alias I had to wait for a few minutes till I got confirmation email that my alias was configured. Then I added my alias account and synched the calendar and contacts and viola! all of them were there!

Nothing short of a miracle if you ask me. And you are brilliant for suggesting this solution. I have not seen this solution any place else. And the details you provided are extremely helpful also. Thank you SO very much!!!!!
    07-08-2016 10:45 PM
    YES! It worked. Thank you very much! Excellent work-around.

I'm very grateful for this, as I had reluctantly accepted that the only way to resolve this was pretty to do a Hard Reset, which was the only way to delete my Microsoft account from my phone and thus allow me to enter it and sync afresh, but it would have lost some data from my Lumia 640 XL. I would have had to back it all up first, restore it, etc. - and I didn't know how to e.g. save the files in the PDF reader library. Thanks again.
    07-31-2016 04:19 PM
    Bless you Kayvan, many thanks.

Folks, remember server doesn't have to be your email provider's server, it can be Microsoft (outlook, live, hotmail) server that holds the alias. That won't allow it to sync email on that alias to your phone, but that's good if you are already getting that email through the primary address!

Thanks again Kayvan!
    Last edited by George Jurgensen; 12-08-2016 at 03:33 PM.
    12-08-2016 02:23 PM