The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-01-2016 08:34 AM
94 1234
tools
    If phone is hot and drains there's a massive data upload - download in progress: check Data sensor, apps pending in Store (hamburger, download, check updates), disable Video upload in OneDrive and Show Onedrive photos in Photos
    Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be anything as simple as one app obviously consuming all battery. I've checked data stats and battery stats but the battery stats appear to be invalid and seem to only show the apps I've just used (for example I tried to post this reply using windows Central app and it is now saying that used 44.2% battery despite it not being used previously today and notifications and live tile being disabled).

I've disabled most things and even forced battery saver to restrict background jobs and the phone still runs hot. I've disabled OneDrive video upload and OneDrive photos in Photos app, I've checked store, disabled Glance screen, the only other drastic thing left to try is enable flight mode but that will obviously stop the phone from working as a phone so maybe I'll do that tonight.

I've not had to roll back previously but if a new build doesn't come out soon I guess I'll have to. Maybe I should have stuck to Slow Ring builds or gone back to Production.
    03-22-2016 04:58 AM
    Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be anything as simple as one app obviously consuming all battery. I've checked data stats and battery stats but the battery stats appear to be invalid and seem to only show the apps I've just used (for example I tried to post this reply using windows Central app and it is now saying that used 44.2% battery despite it not being used previously today and notifications and live tile being disabled).

I've disabled most things and even forced battery saver to restrict background jobs and the phone still runs hot. I've disabled OneDrive video upload and OneDrive photos in Photos app, I've checked store, disabled Glance screen, the only other drastic thing left to try is enable flight mode but that will obviously stop the phone from working as a phone so maybe I'll do that tonight.

I've not had to roll back previously but if a new build doesn't come out soon I guess I'll have to. Maybe I should have stuck to Slow Ring builds or gone back to Production.
    As always said on Insider forum, despite it could be strange or not, smartphones are like desktops, they often takes two day before finishing sybc operation and gain full power. That's "obervation on the field"

Don't touch anymore, exept remember to logout skype video (it's always logged in and drains a lot in background)

Redstone is more unstable than 10586.164, that's a fact. If you prefer going to slow, I fear you must first recover your device to original farm build with WDRT because direct downgrading is not allowed in any o.s. (Redstone is 14XXXX, Slow and Release is 10586.164)
    Check yourself tryin changin ring now
    03-22-2016 05:05 AM
    I hope you are right! Plus I have noticed that the Glance info sometimes starts off bright for about half a second, but then immediately fades away, which suggests the hardware itself is fine.

Or our "display memory" modules are broken and we now just have bigger and uglier Lumia 930's on our hands - i.e. no glance

Do keep us posted on if your WDRT firmware flash helps.
    tried. NO LUCK.

I used WDRT to get the latest firmware and roll back from 14291 to 10586. glance screen is still dim.

as you described, it is normal at first but it fades after half a second.

I still don't understand why an OS update would damage the screen. how is it possible?
    03-22-2016 08:14 AM
    I updated last night, and my main MS account was inoperable after the update, so I deleted it and added it again, it looks ok now.

Interestingly, it seems that I must have sold a phone with my "testing" account still on it. I guess I have never had this account synched in contacts.

So I go to send a text, and someone else’s contact list is in my people app. My main account was not there, so none of those contacts were there. Instead, it was a bunch of people I’ve never heard of. I have changed the p/w on that account multiple times, and it doesn’t look there’s ever been any emails sent to/from that account that I don’t recognize.

But, what a weird thing that was to wake up, go to send a text, and I have someone else’s contact list on my phone.

Anyways, that one’s deleted now, and my normal one is back.

I hope this build shakes out OK. I will be traveling again this week, so I will be living with it more intimately over the next few days.
    03-22-2016 09:42 AM
    How do I check the build on my 950xl? Please and thank you. I have signed up for the fast ring but I am not getting any updates...
    03-22-2016 09:44 AM
    How do I check the build on my 950xl? Please and thank you. I have signed up for the fast ring but I am not getting any updates...
    In Settings, write Info in search line
    03-22-2016 09:48 AM
    Updated to .164
    Though
    Photos!!!!!!!
    Crash n crash all the time
    Crackle and Hulu also crash

Remedies please
    03-22-2016 09:49 AM
    tried. NO LUCK.

I used WDRT to get the latest firmware and roll back from 14291 to 10586. glance screen is still dim.

as you described, it is normal at first but it fades after half a second.

I still don't understand why an OS update would damage the screen. how is it possible?
    Thanks for your testing.

Perhaps it has nothing to do with the OS update after all? Just a coincidence that our 950 XLs' Glance hardware both crapped out in the exact same way and at the exact same time as this new OS came out?

Time to dig out my trusty old 1020 (with fully a functional Glance screen) and send the 950 XL in for repairs then, I guess. Will post here again for those who care.
    03-22-2016 10:10 AM
    This build steadily gets worse and worse. And has TERRIBLE and MASSIVE battery drain. I wouldn't recommend this build to my worst enemy. I suggest every one who isn't on it to stay away. STAY AWAY.

I've been with Microsoft since the T-Mobile shadow. That was a windows mobile 6.5 device. And this destroy and rebuild cycle they continually go through is starting to really tire me. I'm sooooo close to calling it quits and just getting an iPhone 6s+ and calling it quits. Lately I've just wanted something that works. I'm starting to think microsoft will never get to that point because they never stay with a strategy long enough to improve it to the point where it can be matured to the point where it's equal with iOS.
    This build is infuriating because it feels as if instead of working on a base they as always want to tinker, rebuild this, rebuild that and it's truly tiresome. The patchwork strategy will always be inferior to iOS I fear.
    03-22-2016 01:40 PM
    i went to sleep with the battery on 100%. I woke up and my phone was so dead that the dead battery symbol was the only sign of life. With quick charging broken I have to wait AT LEAST 2 hrs to get at least a 60% charge. I'm questioning the skill of these developers. Fix one thing break 5. Microsoft has some audacity selling the 950xl to the public. They really did sell a beta product and us fanboys actually purchased it. Lol. Smh... Sighs
    03-22-2016 01:49 PM
    As always said on Insider forum, despite it could be strange or not, smartphones are like desktops, they often takes two day before finishing sybc operation and gain full power. That's "obervation on the field"

Don't touch anymore, exept remember to logout skype video (it's always logged in and drains a lot in background)

Redstone is more unstable than 10586.164, that's a fact. If you prefer going to slow, I fear you must first recover your device to original farm build with WDRT because direct downgrading is not allowed in any o.s. (Redstone is 14XXXX, Slow and Release is 10586.164)
    Check yourself tryin changin ring now
    I think I might have to re-flash using WDRT as there is no way back from Redstone. I have the phone on battery saver (forced) and flight mode turned on and the phone is still red hot and burning battery. I tried going through all settings to see if something was incorrectly set but I can't find anything untoward. I have uninstalled Window Central Win10 app from the phone to see if that was a cause (it was top rated in battery usage) but still no joy. I've noticed the lock screen is stating it is using a reasonable amount of battery in the background.
    03-22-2016 03:16 PM
    In Settings, write Info in search line
    It says 1130.122Which one is that? Why is insider not showing me updates??? Sorry am not too smart at this. Plz and thank u
    03-22-2016 07:54 PM
    Thanks for your testing.

Perhaps it has nothing to do with the OS update after all? Just a coincidence that our 950 XLs' Glance hardware both crapped out in the exact same way and at the exact same time as this new OS came out?

Time to dig out my trusty old 1020 (with fully a functional Glance screen) and send the 950 XL in for repairs then, I guess. Will post here again for those who care.
    i found many many feedbacks in feedback hub stating the same problem after the 14267 update. it is mysterious.
    03-22-2016 11:50 PM
    Had to roll back from this update. I was losing 1% of battery life every 30 seconds.
    TheBadGuy_88 likes this.
    03-23-2016 10:42 AM
    Anyone do a hard reset on this build? I know there's a bug that will corrupt your back up but I did it anyways. This build so far has been great. I do experience a lock screen bug that won't let me unlock the phone if there is music playing and the music control pop up comes out. I'm getting better battery life than the .164 build. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Sent from my Lumia 950 XL :)
    anon(3463402) likes this.
    03-23-2016 03:33 PM
    Been having the phone running hot issue here as well. I have my phone in airplane mode and have signed out of Skype video for now. Still runs pretty warm. I'm considering reverting back to the previous build (I wish they would make that easier than having to recover back using the recovery tool). Battery is dying so fast.
    03-23-2016 05:50 PM
    My 950 started overheating and draining a full battery in about 3 hours 2 days after installing the latest Redstone build but I managed to recover and now have it running at around 2.9 - 3.5% usage per hour.

I set privacy > feedback & diagnostics to basic and have temporarily changed back to production ring which apparently stops most telemetry data and after a soft reset, my 950 cooled down again and started behaving normally. I will leave it on production ring until the next build is published as it's running great.

I would be interested to see if this fixes the overheating for others or if it was coincidental that it stopped around the same time as changing the settings.
    03-23-2016 06:24 PM
    Anyone do a hard reset on this build? I know there's a bug that will corrupt your back up but I did it anyways. This build so far has been great. I do experience a lock screen bug that won't let me unlock the phone if there is music playing and the music control pop up comes out. I'm getting better battery life than the .164 build. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Sent from my Lumia 950 XL :)
    i rolled back from 14291 to 10586 using WDRT. i believe the 14291 had done something to the file system. WDRT failed many times when it attempted to flash the image into my phone. it stopped at different random progress %. finally it succeeded after 10+ trials. i had never seen that before.
    03-23-2016 10:59 PM
    My 950 started overheating and draining a full battery in about 3 hours 2 days after installing the latest Redstone build but I managed to recover and now have it running at around 2.9 - 3.5% usage per hour.

I set privacy > feedback & diagnostics to basic and have temporarily changed back to production ring which apparently stops most telemetry data and after a soft reset, my 950 cooled down again and started behaving normally. I will leave it on production ring until the next build is published as it's running great.

I would be interested to see if this fixes the overheating for others or if it was coincidental that it stopped around the same time as changing the settings.
    I discover that setting telemetry privacy lower than Complete, dramatically slows keyboard word prediction . Coincidence?
    03-24-2016 03:20 AM
    I'm really sorry for your problems but my experience is different. Build 14291 is much better and faster than 10586 on my phone. The only problem I have is that some of my apps wont run. I may try to reinstall them (Here Drive, Easy Transfer, and Code Editor).
    03-24-2016 03:49 AM

Thanks! Very happy now :) This fixed mine from being a super heated uncomfortable pocket warmer (for the 2 hours it would run for before running out of battery) back to its old self.

I did both things suggested: privacy > feedback & diagnostics to basic and have temporarily changed back to production ring so I can't say if one or the other was the issue but I'm not going back to try as I've spent long enough trying to get the battery consumption back to normal levels. Everything seems to be ok now with this build, no other issues noticed.
    03-24-2016 06:41 AM
    Thanks! Very happy now :) This fixed mine from being a super heated uncomfortable pocket warmer (for the 2 hours it would run for before running out of battery) back to its old self.

I did both things suggested: privacy > feedback & diagnostics to basic and have temporarily changed back to production ring so I can't say if one or the other was the issue but I'm not going back to try as I've spent long enough trying to get the battery consumption back to normal levels. Everything seems to be ok now with this build, no other issues noticed.
    Did you notice a slower word prediction when using keyboard, when in Production? I tried it on my 650 and I wasn't anymore able to write fast as before. Then, checking deeply in settings, I discovered Production disable keyboard data sharing with MS
    03-24-2016 06:52 AM
    Did you notice a slower word prediction when using keyboard, when in Production? I tried it on my 650 and I wasn't anymore able to write fast as before. Then, checking deeply in settings, I discovered Production disable keyboard data sharing with MS
    I can see the settings for keyboard data sharing have been changed and are now greyed out so I can't tick the box (under other keyboard settings).

I've not noticed a difference with typing but I've not tried that much. Words seem to be being predicted at normal speed to me but it isn't something I use very often to be able to notice a slow down.
    03-24-2016 07:04 AM
    Can someone help me out? Am showing core build 1130.122. I don't know if that's the latest one I should be getting? Last week I updated to something from the fast insider ring and ended up having to do a hard reset. Doesn't seem like any better after the reset although the band2 is pairing now. Now no matter what insider ring I choose it tells me no updates available. Is the 1130 the Redstone build? Should I be doing another reset? Also I set up as a new phone after the hard reset last week. Any input is appreciated. Thx much
    03-24-2016 07:22 AM
    Can someone help me out? Am showing core build 1130.122. I don't know if that's the latest one I should be getting? Last week I updated to something from the fast insider ring and ended up having to do a hard reset. Doesn't seem like any better after the reset although the band2 is pairing now. Now no matter what insider ring I choose it tells me no updates available. Is the 1130 the Redstone build? Should I be doing another reset? Also I set up as a new phone after the hard reset last week. Any input is appreciated. Thx much
    ohrigeeta, I believe you are looking in the wrong place; you are lookin in Setttins>Extras>Advanced info.

You need to look in; SETTINGS>SYSTEM>ABOUT>More Info button (mid-screen)

You should be able to determine your OS Build, and Fireware version there.

Hope this helps you.
    Last edited by mtf1380; 03-24-2016 at 09:33 AM.
    03-24-2016 09:08 AM
94 1234