W10M Insider Preview 14295 Discussion (Redstone Branch, inactive)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: W10M Insider Preview 14295 Issues (Redstone branch)

Not really a new bug, but several apps lost their purchased license due to the update to Redstone.

Affected for me:
- Podcast Lounge,
- Sunrise,
- Package tracker
- Garmin StreetPilot

Reinstall fixed it, but it's a pain to keep running into these issues.

Last edited:

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Not really a new bug, but today I again encountered an app that had lost its license due to the update to Redstone. Podcast Lounge refused to realize that I owned it. Reinstall fixed it, but it's a pain to keep running into these issues.

If anyone finds a feedback issue with many votes that describes this problem, please vote for it and copy the title here so I can vote as well. I wonder if MS has even noticed this upgrade problem..

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative

Your purchases list is always linked (and saved) to your Microsoft + Store account

costas60

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site

I understood it to be an official build and not an insider version.
it is official OTA update
and NOT insider build (although they are the same)
for insider builds
you need window insider app

the upgrade advisor app only checks if your phone
is eligible for the update as not all 8.1 are eligible

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Is Cortana working fine?
Yes, she just seems to have decided not to enable quiet hours last night, so at 7am I was alerted that Andy Murray started a match (still ongoing :) ). Ah well, 7am is a decent time to get up.

In other news, I suspect we'll get a new fast ring build today. Fingers crossed it's good enough to replace 14295..

FaisalST32

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site

Just noticed that they have brought back the old '3G only' option in this build. Really glad. I've been waiting a long time for this.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

All devices (L640's, L640XL's, L1520's, L950's and 950XL's) running the Redstone branch are no longer compatible with our main corporate W10M universal app. The same devices running 10586 branch, and all W10 desktops are ok. Not sure what is breaking the app, but it fails during what appears to be background credential and login code. Bummer. :)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

All devices (L640's, L640XL's, L1520's, L950's and 950XL's) running the Redstone branch are no longer compatible with our main corporate W10M universal app. The same devices running 10586 branch, and all W10 desktops are ok. Not sure what is breaking the app, but it fails during what appears to be background credential and login code. Bummer. :)
And I take it an app reinstall doesn't fix the issue? Because reinstall fixes some trial vs. full version problems for several apps on my 950XL. Small chance, but maybe some app validation fails in a similar way?

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

And I take it an app reinstall doesn't fix the issue? Because reinstall fixes some trial vs. full version problems for several apps on my 950XL. Small chance, but maybe some app validation fails in a similar way?

Yea, it is not uncommon during development (on both ends these days...OS and Apps) that uninstalling, reinstalling, moving to SD card, moving to local storage...................ALL of these techniques become necessary as first steps in the process-of-elimination portion of official troubleshooting. But alas, after every attempt, our APP is not compatible with this build.
Really not a major concern, since we don't officially support the Redstone Branch in our production environment. But we have mistakenly left some devices in the wrong "Rings" because we didn't adjust for the recent changes that Microsoft made with the preview program. This build is the first to actually bite us. Thus I posted.

Windows Device Recovery is an easy (although time-staking) solution. And we will address the proper Ring membership at the same time.

Thanks though for the assistance.

ricardocr

May 20, 2015
Visit site

I was thinking that the email app was broken since I was not receiving alerts or email unless I open it, but now I see the same behavior at several other apps, so what I think is that none app is able to run as a background once the phone is locked, am I the only one experiencing this?

codoz57

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

There are many people that have chosen to be on the "Fast Ring" that don't realise what testing firmware is all about.

It is very common for a "1 step forward 2 steps back" situation. Keep in mind that MSFT is doing 3 things simultaneously. Moving forward with Windows 10 as a whole, synchronizing Desktop/Tablet, Phone, Xbox and HoloLens into the single Windows 10 "Core" as well as debugging against each of these various platforms and releasing builds - at different levels for each of them - depending on the "technical" or level of experimentation someone is willing to expose themselves to within the firmware development cycle for that particular platform.

So as far as Windows Phone goes - if you want stability and are not interested in "what's coming up" - stay with Windows Phone 8.1 and stop the constant carping. And if you want to see "what's coming up" do so by all means - report the failures and the bugs, this is to be expected, but be part of a team that is helping and not hindering!

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Yesterday a text came in, I tapped the banner, the messaging app tried to open and crashed. That message disappeared, it's just gone. Bad bug!!

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site

On the latest build I am getting about 250 apps in the store download queue that are already installed to SD card :( In the apps list there shows both an installed and a duplicate pending app for each entry. Anyone know of a fix please? How can I clean the queue out and stop them reappearing?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

On the latest build I am getting about 250 apps in the store download queue that are already installed to SD card :( In the apps list there shows both an installed and a duplicate pending app for each entry. Anyone know of a fix please? How can I clean the queue out and stop them reappearing?

Sometimes store messes up list. Let it check, it will undestand itself whic are to be updated and wich not

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Maps- GPS bug still there. It is very easy to replicate it.
With location turned off go to maps.
Click on a spot (current location) icon on the right. It will ask you to go to settings and turn on location.
Click on setting button and turn on location in settings
Now exit setings and maps with the back {<- } button.
Open action center and try to turn off location with toggle.
Phone completely freezes...
This bug has been present on all phones in build 10586 for some time now. Would be nice if MS would fix it already

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Is today going to be the day for a new Fast Ring build? Based on Gabe's recent tweets it sounds like it, but so far not a peep/tweet. I'm seriously considering just jumping in for the fast ring this time around, because I'm not liking the 14295 at all. I mean how much worse could it get. Wait, don't answer that.

Edit: Yes it is!!!!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb