Windows 10 Mobile Redstone (14295) on Lumia 730 - Impressions (TLDR: I like it) !

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
So, I installed RS1 on my Lumia 730. Background: Hard reset to Windows 8.1 through WDRT a couple of weeks ago, then Windows 10 update through the general release channel, and then this.

- The overall phone is much faster.
- The new maps app is brilliant: there's complete bus transit info for Bengaluru and New Delhi, India (please check other cities and update...)
- They seem to have improved the sound delivery somehow, my phone is producing a much richer sound now, including notifications, etc.
- Start bar is hide-able in all apps.
- There's no lag in the lock-screen now.
- App crashes have largely reduced, except for the Windows Central app (seriously, get your stuff together, WC).
- The background dimming now works all the time on the all apps list.
- The phone is now generally very reliable. It hasn't died on me at crucial moments like it did before in the TH2 (insider and general).

Bugs

- Edge tile pinning still shows only a blue 'E' icon for the vast majority of websites.
- Needed to reinstall the MSN apps to get the live tile working.
- Maps has no dark theme now.

So, ask me questions if you have them!

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I've installed it on my 735 and find it be very fast; the only issue I've seen to date with 14295 is that InPrivate browsing windows tend to crash frequently, and will usually disappear if you switch to another window for a time.

Ahzriaz

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi I'm thinking about updating my lumia 640. However all the problems make doubt. How is the experience a week into the build? Still enjoying it?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi I'm thinking about updating my lumia 640. However all the problems make doubt. How is the experience a week into the build? Still enjoying it?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

I think it really comes down to how much time and internet data you're willing to spend on your adventure, because if you don't mind erasing the phone on the chance things go wrong, then sure.

Redstone didn't treat my 640 too well, but it was largely from first impressions before I fled back to 10586.

James McCulloch

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I had left the insider program after it was announced that 10586 was the RTM, but yesterday my phone updated to 14295 anyway... That in itself is rather worrisome (I assumed I must have messed up and not left the program, but trying to leave again revealed I indeed had...) and had me a little pissed off, but so far so good, still early of course... Only complaint, thus far, is the full screen theme colour flashing that earlier insider builds had is back, otherwise everything appears to be ok.

I haven't noticed any performance improvement though :( [Lumia 730]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss