W10M Insider Preview 10586.218 Issues (Threshold branch)

Akhil_007

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
this latest build has bad start screen touch response on my l720...
stuttering animation too.
the previous build was far more better in start screen touch response

Siema_CoTam

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Re: 10.0.10586.218 is now available for L1020

sarcasm brother. MS said that 164 was the last update for the non supported devices...

Thats why I was startled. On the all websites info was: only for phones which are produced with W10M and with official W10M update.
Its hope Lumia 1020 will be officialy updated.
Some people told that L1020 (like other not officialy updataded phones) will not receive Redstone update. It is possible?

After 2 day using I see that battery use is lower than .164. Someone observed this feature too?

Last edited:

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
What I want answered is since AT&T has not released W10M to any of the WP8.1 eligible devices as yet to my knowledge, what insider ring should those who decide not to wait on any carrier install on their device? Release Preview = TH2 or Slow Ring = RS.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Second morning with .218 on my 950XL and can't wake up my phone it is frozen, I have to hold the power button!!

I'm having a similar problem on my 950 (AT&T) and .218. The lock screen background will appear when I hit the power button to wake up but no text on it and the phone is frozen (cannot unlock). It doesn't happen all the time but seems to occur when the phone has been sitting idle for awhile. I tried everything to fix it including hard reset and WDRT without restoring from backup and updating back to .218. The problem did not occur with .164. Also my SMS sync does not work. Not sure if the problem is related or not. The problem does not appear to be specific to any apps as it occurred even with just the default apps installed. My guess is either is freezing due to unable to sync properly from my Microsoft account or there is a compatibility issue with my WiFi network or SD card. I'm testing with WiFi turned off now. Maybe if we get a new Redstone build soon, I'll try that to see if the problem persists.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
What I want answered is since AT&T has not released W10M to any of the WP8.1 eligible devices as yet to my knowledge, what insider ring should those who decide not to wait on any carrier install on their device? Release Preview = TH2 or Slow Ring = RS.

Release Preview

Dspopieux

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Guys, does anyone know if the start screen freezing issue on 512mb phones has been fixed? I'm thinking of upgrading to the insider preview. Luima 520. Thanks.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Guys, does anyone know if the start screen freezing issue on 512mb phones has been fixed? I'm thinking of upgrading to the insider preview. Luima 520. Thanks.

No, impossibile to fix due to low ram. Elsewhere I'm pretty happy with my 520, you must only avoid using fast tap on back or home for exiting, hol down till task manager appears then close app sliding down

AbhiWindows10

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
my dad has a Lumia 635 (512mb) and when going into windows insider app we do not see the production release ring?

any ideas? if the 1020 can get it surely the 635 can?

also although I am using Redstone on 950XL, when opening the windows insiders app I too do not see this ring?

Have you updated the Windows Insider Preview app itself ?

AbhiWindows10

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
so is it possible my dad has Redstone build on his lumia 635 512GB? if so then I understand but I assume that this is impossible as they surely haven't included this phone for fast ring and so I would expect the release ring to be an option in the list?

I'm only going on what he has told me over the phone so will check with him tonight :) thanks for the replies though :)

There could be no way that Lumia 635 with 512 MB has the Redstone update UNLESS, someone did a hack (which some users have already tried and it worked)

AbhiWindows10

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem on my 950 (AT&T) and .218. The lock screen background will appear when I hit the power button to wake up but no text on it and the phone is frozen (cannot unlock). It doesn't happen all the time but seems to occur when the phone has been sitting idle for awhile. I tried everything to fix it including hard reset and WDRT without restoring from backup and updating back to .218. The problem did not occur with .164. Also my SMS sync does not work. Not sure if the problem is related or not. The problem does not appear to be specific to any apps as it occurred even with just the default apps installed. My guess is either is freezing due to unable to sync properly from my Microsoft account or there is a compatibility issue with my WiFi network or SD card. I'm testing with WiFi turned off now. Maybe if we get a new Redstone build soon, I'll try that to see if the problem persists.

For me, the LockScreen started to lag on Build 10586.164 AFTER a Hard Reset soon AFTER i updated the 'Gadgets' app.

HaroldOfTheRocks

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Good, I'm not the only one with this issue on .218 on a 950-series (I've got a 950XL/DS with the same issues). Also, thanks for the info that clean install/hard-reset do not solve the problem. Please update as you have more info but I sure hope this gets fixed fast, really frustrating to have to restart the phone 5 times a day.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
For me, the LockScreen started to lag on Build 10586.164 AFTER a Hard Reset soon AFTER i updated the 'Gadgets' app.

I've also had the lockscreen issue since the first Redstone build. It happens less frequently now but it still happens. I just had it again. The only way out is to reboot the phone.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Good, I'm not the only one with this issue on .218 on a 950-series (I've got a 950XL/DS with the same issues). Also, thanks for the info that clean install/hard-reset do not solve the problem. Please update as you have more info but I sure hope this gets fixed fast, really frustrating to have to restart the phone 5 times a day.

Yeah, yesterday I was unable to answer a phone call because it froze. The phone isn't completely frozen because when this happens, it still shows the correct time on the glance screen and the phone rings if someone tries to call.
Now it happened again with WiFi turned off so that wasn't it so I turned it back on and turned off SMS sync instead. Let's see if it happens again. I wish I could downgrade to .164 but WDRT for my phone takes me down to .107 and doing a phone update jumps back up to .218.

HaroldOfTheRocks

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, yesterday I was unable to answer a phone call because it froze. The phone isn't completely frozen because when this happens, it still shows the correct time on the glance screen and the phone rings if someone tries to call.
Now it happened again with WiFi turned off so that wasn't it so I turned it back on and turned off SMS sync instead. Let's see if it happens again. I wish I could downgrade to .164 but WDRT for my phone takes me down to .107 and doing a phone update jumps back up to .218.
Yup, I had a phone call I couldn't answer yesterday as well. I know that when this happens, the battery/time on Glance was current but I thought at least the battery level on the lock screen was old - can't say for sure, though. I'll keep a closer eye on it
I've just turned off SMS sync as well, will report back with results.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

I unplugged at 7:30 this morning and at 5:30pm I have 60% battery left. That's acceptable. I used my phone as I do every day.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

I tried the preview build on 1020 a long while ago. Just curious is W10 worth it for 1020 as a daily driver? Is MS being critical about user feedback and not officially updating 1020?

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Yup, I had a phone call I couldn't answer yesterday as well. I know that when this happens, the battery/time on Glance was current but I thought at least the battery level on the lock screen was old - can't say for sure, though. I'll keep a closer eye on it
I've just turned off SMS sync as well, will report back with results.

Yes, the time is current on the glance screen but the battery level is old on the lock screen because I had the phone on the charger and it still showed the old level when it was frozen. So at least we know we have the same exact problem. It doesn't appear to be widespread though. No issues yet for me with SMS sync turned off but it's only been a few hours so too early to tell for sure. I'm hoping that's it though because the problem is driving me crazy.
One thing is I did originally have the first couple of Redstone builds from the fast ring but later decided to go back to production releases until some issues were resolved. I'm wondering if that is what broke the SMS sync for me and if whatever SMS is stored online from those builds is giving trouble syncing with the .218 build. It would somewhat make sense that the phone is trying to sync SMS after sitting idle for while and whatever it is trying to download is locking up the phone for whatever reason. Were you previously on any Redstone builds from the fast ring? Anyway it's just a guess at this time. I'll report back tomorrow with any results.
EDIT: The problem occurred again with SMS syncing turned off. I don't suspect my SD card as no apps are stored on there so I don't know what to think at this point. I'm going to go ahead and install the latest Redstone build in the fast ring and see if that resolves this.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss