Delay when sending SMS

criminalpilot

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I was unable to find relevant threads/references online - apologies if this was addressed.

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile (starting with the technical preview and now running the full release), my Lumia 1520 sometimes won't let me send a text message, and it delays a long time before finally sending. I press the "Send" button, and it turns grey but the content of my message remains in the "type a message" box just above the keyboard, it does not get sent sometimes for up to 30 seconds. This leaves me stuck sitting there waiting for it to send before I can type a new message or anything because it is greyed out while it is waiting to send.

When I was on Windows 8.1, it never had this problem. I do have a bad habit of being a 'rapid texter' where I will sometimes send 3-5 very short text messages within seconds of eachother because I forget to add something (rather than just thinking it through and hitting send after). On Windows 8.1, when I did this, it would still attempt to "send" the text, but it wouldn't show a timestamp until the message was recognized by the SMS server. If I wanted to, I could send a dozen texts to myself and they would all pop up into little conversation boxes as normal.

Now, on Windows 10, if my phone decides it doesn't like me that day, hitting "send" sometimes gets my text message 'stuck' in the text box just above the keyboard and I'm forced to sit and wait for it to send.

Is this normal? Does my complaint even make sense? If not, I will try to explain better with screenshots. It happens regularly so it's pretty easy to document and get pictures when it happens.

Apologies again if this is a known issue. It is not my network provider as I have tried with Windows 8.1 again and it worked as expected. Text sends instantly and I can keep typing my next one. It happens regardless of my location in or out of the city, regardless of signal strength, 3G, 4G, LTE, so on...

Thanks kindly for any insight!

Example image with description of the problem.

Attachments

• h1ITkwM.png
    h1ITkwM.png
    163.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you are on the very latest Windows 10 mobile - 10586.218. This includes many fixes and may already have fixed this. Settings/Update can get this.

Note: After every update, make sure all apps are updated in the Store/Download area.

If the problem persists, use the "Windows Feedback" tool to report this problem.

218 release is getting pretty good but perhaps you are faster than everyone else and the issue hasn't been experienced/reported yet.

txaggie2016

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have also experienced this issue so, if nothing else, you know you're not the only one.

I had Messaging app issues on 8.1 as well (on my Lumia Icon, VZW) but can't think of a time I experienced this exact issue. Additionally, when sending picture messages I will much more often run across this problem -- the message box will move up into the thread upon hitting the send button but is often just a small, empty box with just enough room for the time stamp (it looks like I sent a text only containing a space). Sometimes the picture shows up in the thread if I wait a second but sometimes I get nervous enough and send the message in duplicate.

criminalpilot

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, that does let me know at least I'm not the only one. Also good to know it isn't specific to my phone or model of phone. I have also had the exact same issue with picture messages, now that you mention it. Empty box with a timestamp that eventually turns into a picture if I wait long enough (sometimes upwards of a minute). The delay when sending normal SMS is definitely more noticeable since I ballpark around 1000 messages a month.
Out of curiosity, have you ever rolled your phone back to W8.1 and updated to different versions of W10? That's what I may be trying next since I started with a technical preview of W10 and graduated up to the current release version. I am considering a roll back to W8.1, update to W10M, and hard reset within W10M environment. Mostly to see if this problem persists through a roll back to W8.1, and then to see if it returns or persists in a fresh install of W10.

It's not necessarily a 'speedy' texting problem, either. Sometimes it will happen on the very first message I send to someone, even if I haven't sent a text within the last hour. I press the little 'send' arrow and the box turns grey, text message stays stuck in the text box, and I have to wait several seconds up to a minute for it to move up into the thread box, where it receives a timestamp within another 15 seconds or so, and I am then free to type my next message. I'm working on a small chain of images that gives a slightly clearer picture of the problem, just in case others stumble upon this thread and want to compare, or if more evidence is ever required. I've also submitted it through feedback.

As far as updates - my phone just got 10586.218 update so it seems to be current. The problem is definitely still evident.

Thanks for the replies and assistance, greatly appreciated! Hopefully it gets resolved in the coming months. Fortunately it is no more than a tolerable inconvenience right now. I'd hate to see it get worse but look forward to an improvement if it does come.

criminalpilot

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Excellent news! Glad to hear they are on the case. Thanks for your input.
Also as an FYI to anyone interested, I added a picture in the original post with a description of the problem as it occurs.

Thanks all!

Woodchuck3400

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I constantly have this issue on my ATT 950. No rhyme nor reason so far. Long text, short text. wondering if it has to do with how many texts I have saved in my phone or if its related to backup.

SilentBob420BMFJ

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
Add me to this problem, just started happening on my old Lumia 820 (running 8.1) that I've had for years. It happens 15-20% of the time, and the delay is a hell of a lot longer than 30 seconds like people are claiming; up to 100 seconds I'd say.

Peter1984

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
happens to me too. Any fixes? I run the latest builds so i don't think its an update/version thing seeing its being happening for a good several years now. I also run multiple phones. I've had two 950s and one 950 XL and its happened across the hardware. Although it does seem to happen more on the 950.

I think it's an issue with how the phone talks to the cell.

steverogalinski

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Me too. Along with a hundred other issues. But Microsoft is officially dumping Windows Mobile so I guess it doesn't matter anymore. It's time for all of us to get a new phone. One that works.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99