05-19-2016 12:56 PM
71 123
tools
    @bobvfr, yeah, would've been a good idea. I'll change it if possible, just don't see how.

One build ago, I tried changing my region to the UK, but the language pack wasn't downloading, which we know was an issue. But even still, Cortana wasn't working. A lot of you are actually having more problems than I am. My biggest problem is Cortana's core function of search. I open it, type something in, and when I hit enter she just spins, no results. And trying to talk to her doesn't work at all. I can send texts through the action center, all of my interest cards appear when I open her, and I can set reminders by going directly to the reminder notebook. Everything else on this new build is great, though. Much smoother than the last two, and quick. It's just this now.

If anyone hard resets and it fixes it, please post. Hard resetting is always a last option for me because of limited time I have on my hands right now.
    04-28-2016 08:23 AM
    Yeah, I have the same problem with Cortana not working on my 640. It started at the beginning of the last 2 builds. My Groove music doesn't work either and I'm paying for it. This is annoying.
    04-28-2016 06:38 PM
    Yeah, with my 950 XL, saying "Hey Cortana" will get it to launch, but it won't actually listen to any commands. Tapping the microphone just causes it to flicker, and if I type in a search, I just get "Thinking..."
    04-29-2016 12:52 PM
    Cortana not working "Somethings not right..." on pc build 14332 in UK. How can MS miss such an obvious and widespread bug? I know that Insiders are testing for evaluation but surely MS do some testing before fast ring release???
    04-29-2016 01:46 PM
    Felt like chicken little there for a second.I thought I was the only one. As soon as I purchased the Lumia I upgraded the OS to 10, so Cortana has never worked for me. I know she works beautifully on my laptop, so soon the phone was going back. Well now it's been saved from execution. My native apps won't update, Miss Contana doesn't work and Outlook won't take my Hotmail. But my Indigo app works like a charm. Not all is lost.
    04-30-2016 09:01 AM
    I hope all the problems are being logged with Windows Insider Feedback. We all know very well that with each build that's being released, there will be improvement and there will be side effects simply because the developers can't make the fixes within the time they are allotted before a beta build is finalized. After all, we are test users of the Windows Insider Program aren't we?
    Jamar Wright likes this.
    05-02-2016 08:29 AM
    @Keith Blackwell, when I saw your post that Groove wasn't working I thought it was interesting because that's one problem I haven't had. Then I went and tried to use it this weekend and it didn't work at all! There's definitely a certain amount of patience you have to have for agreeing to sign up for the fast-ring. Just keeping my fingers crossed that the next build will take care of some of these major issues.
    rhapdog likes this.
    05-02-2016 08:41 AM
    I'm having the same issues as well. I've never had a major problem with any of the fast ring insider builds but this one is the worst. Cortana searches don't work properly and I have a number of apps that won't even open anymore. I know we're helping to test the software as a community but surprised something this buggy got the point of release.
    05-02-2016 08:54 AM
    Yep, I've stayed on the fast ring because I've never had any major issues. But I think this time we're looking at problems because this was a somewhat major release or new features, whereas before the updates were much more minor, a new feature here or there. Again, sticking with it because the phone is mostly usable, and I don't really have time to hard reset to go back to the production ring.
    rhapdog likes this.
    05-02-2016 08:57 AM
    I've been frustrated by this since the upgrade..... HEY CORTANA supposed to be downloadable from App Store - Utter TOSH.

Until. I found a work around.. microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/hey-cortana/9wzdncrdr1mz (add the www. before, as normal. I couldn't add as it came out in gobbledygook)

Download it - install it - Reboot - and we say in the UK "Bob's your Uncle" it works.
    She told me the weather and two jokes.... Great to have her back, I've missed her
    05-10-2016 11:50 PM
    That is already built into Cortana Settings on the latest build, no need for a separate app

Posted from Windows Central for Windows 10
    Maurizio Troso likes this.
    05-11-2016 05:36 AM
    Installing that app will suddenly make 'Hey Cortana' work, even though it's already built in to Cortana? I'm hoping the new redstone build that went out to PC's last night will come through to mobile today and fix this. You don't realize how convenient it is to hit the search button on your phone to go to Bing directly, as opposed to needing to go through Edge to search. It's really frustrating to not have Cortana work.
    Jamar Wright likes this.
    05-11-2016 08:34 AM
    Not in my UK build, otherwise I wouldn't have tried to find a solution. MS reckons it was an OEM glitch
    05-12-2016 01:28 AM
    It seems the VoiceActivationUI app needed downloading, as some phones did not have it. So your GENERAL statement that is is in the latest built were NOT correct, but thanks for your 2p worth
    05-12-2016 01:31 AM
    Originally posted by carryonvending
    Not in my UK build, otherwise I wouldn't have tried to find a solution. MS reckons it was an OEM glitch
    I'm also on the UK fast ring build and that app was already built in, although it does appear to be broken.
    Since trying it Cortana has also stopped working for me and she has lost her voice.... which is nice.....
    05-12-2016 03:28 AM
    Cortana on last Redstone in Italy came back flawlessy, just to fix a little slow reaction when receving a messages (I guess the time needed for reaching voice central server).
    And maybe adding a function when multiple messages of same conversation are coming, so she can read all togheter as a one only long message
    05-12-2016 04:13 AM
    Not sure if you were responding to me but I had no idea that some phones didn't have that. I thought that Cortana would have that built in by nature. Ultimately this work-around didn't work for me, because when I went to this app int he store it said it wasn't available for my phone. We're getting to the end of the week here, when mobile releases usually come out, so hopefully we get one soon that fixes this!
    05-12-2016 02:21 PM
    I have now noticed that HEY CORTANA is NOT in the Cortana Settings on my phone as it is on my PC. Since I did the download it is located in SETTINGS - HEY CORTANA, Maybe that's why its working so well for me.

Using a Lumia 930 in the UK with the VoiceActivationUI app installed.
    05-13-2016 05:40 AM
    Using the latest release build in the UK, and Cortana works fine on my W10 L930. As mentioned above, you do need to download the Hey Cortana system app (search for a link on the web, as you cannot search for this in the store for some reason, probably MS making things more 'exciting' and 'cutting edge' again...). Then, assuming you're in a country MS knows about, it should all work.
    05-13-2016 07:04 AM
    Originally posted by Maurizio Troso
    Cortana seems working only in few countries like USA, UK, etc.
    No more italian support in last fast build, guees the same in other countries ( I read India too)
    You can scratch the UK Maurizio. It is a car crash here. It has been since win10 was released as an insider build! It still won't track flights, parcels etc, the live tile dies and you have to tap it and it works again, for 10 mins, then stops again. The only way to keep it working is to have news as a preference ( how depressing ). It doesn't update football scores, even with your favourite team selected in sport interests. You can set a reminder, and it comes up 24 hours after the event.. Really???? Yep, really...

The good news is, it does read out texts and allows you to respond.

This happens on all fourteen devices in my business!!
    05-13-2016 11:18 AM
    You can scratch the UK Maurizio. It is a car crash here. It has been since win10 was released as an insider build! It still won't track flights, parcels etc, the live tile dies and you have to tap it and it works again, for 10 mins, then stops again. The only way to keep it working is to have news as a preference ( how depressing ). It doesn't update football scores, even with your favourite team selected in sport interests. You can set a reminder, and it comes up 24 hours after the event.. Really???? Yep, really...

The good news is, it does read out texts and allows you to respond.

This happens on all fourteen devices in my business!!
    My post was too old. Now it woks perfectly , Cortana included :D Updates made their bugfixes
    05-13-2016 11:26 AM
    Andy, thanks for backing up my theory. I posted this advice earlier.....
    microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/hey-cortana/9wzdncrdr1mz (add the www. before, as normal. I couldn't add as it came out in gobbledygook)

Download the app and install..... It works great
    05-14-2016 05:08 AM
    Mad Cabble - That is a fair assessment, however with a little SELF HELP and virtually none from MS, my Lumia 930 now works and responds a treat.
    I agree about the live apps - indeed SKY NEWS won't work at all (I wonder why, when MS news is installed as a default - perhaps I'm being cynical?)

I've also noticed Cortana has now become a little prissy, Text arrives and she informs you. SHALL I READ IT OR IGNORE IT? Previously IGNORE was sufficient, Now she requires IGNORE IT, and keeps asking, until she uses the MS ultimate statement.... I'M NOT GETTING IT, then I tell her to go away "in short sharp, jerking movements" lol
    All in all I now have a usable phone..... Small Mercies from SATYA & CO
    05-14-2016 05:16 AM
    Update - Cortana working perfectly now on my 950XL latest RS.

She managed to sort herself out after a couple of days of not talking :-)

Seems she didn't like the 'Hey Cortana' being switched on....
    05-14-2016 09:38 AM
    Glad you got sorted as I have. That's a first for a woman not to talk for a couple of days......lol
    Maurizio Troso likes this.
    05-15-2016 04:06 AM
71 123