The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-19-2016 12:56 PM
71 123
tools
    glad you got sorted as i have. That's a first for a woman not to talk for a couple of days......lol
    rotfl
    05-15-2016 04:33 AM
    I installed the 14332.1001 on 640 LTE, I also have unbranded it and am running LTA 7R CV in the eastern US, Cortana runs good.
    Last edited by Mark F24; 05-15-2016 at 11:13 AM.
    05-15-2016 08:45 AM
    Originally posted by Maurizio Troso
    Originally Posted by carryonvending
    glad you got sorted as i have. That's a first for a woman not to talk for a couple of days......lol
    rotfl
    Still a disaster here mate! Starting to get old now. I end up pinning webpages to start screen for flights etc
    05-15-2016 11:57 AM
    Still a disaster here mate! Starting to get old now. I end up pinning webpages to start screen for flights etc
    A journey to Lourdes?
    05-15-2016 12:16 PM
    A journey to Lourdes?
    She would probably take me to Lords cricket ground in London!!

I can: Get to read texts, I can send texts using voice commands, I can ask how far something is, I can ask for a joke. BUT, I cannot track a parcel, although it did once until I went back to start screen, then she lost it. I cannot, and haven't been able to track a flight since 8.1, which was superb. My football scores never get given by notification, and the live tile just stops. I've tried allsorts, and still no joy. I even changed region to US and she still freaked me out!!

I am, ermm stumped
    Maurizio Troso likes this.
    05-15-2016 12:29 PM
    She would probably take me to Lords cricket ground in London!!

I can: Get to read texts, I can send texts using voice commands, I can ask how far something is, I can ask for a joke. BUT, I cannot track a parcel, although it did once until I went back to start screen, then she lost it. I cannot, and haven't been able to track a flight since 8.1, which was superb. My football scores never get given by notification, and the live tile just stops. I've tried allsorts, and still no joy. I even changed region to US and she still freaked me out!!

I am, ermm stumped
    I tried her now, here in Italy. She got flights, trains and navigation.
    About events, she gone to bing.
    Then I asked here "Where I can hide a corpse?" she replied "What kind of assistant you think I am????"
    05-15-2016 12:54 PM
    I tried her now, here in Italy. She got flights, trains and navigation.
    About events, she gone to bing.
    Then I asked here "Where I can hide a corpse?" she replied "What kind of assistant you think I am????"
    I will do it, how much are you paying for a personal assistant and by the way, try the catacomb's of Rome, should be easy enough to hide a body down there...........
    05-16-2016 01:32 AM
    Great reply
    05-16-2016 01:44 AM
    One would have thought that Microsoft would have made Cortana reliable by now. Who in hell is going to bother to continue to use her if she's not there when needed? I'm thinking back to one of the company's first faltering presentations at her inception which was embarrassing to watch but at least forgivable because it was early day in her development. Fast forward to now and the situation hasn't gotten any better it seems. There are no excuses for this and, imho, it appears that they're simply a bunch of incompetant klutzes!
    WayCool likes this.
    05-16-2016 03:49 AM
    I use Cortana, Siri, Alexa and Google Now religiously.

Cortana started strong out of the gate. It has since fallen behind in reliability and usability vs. the other platforms.

On three W10M phones with varying builds (release, fast, slow rings -- 950, 950xl and 640), it crashes the most when launching from the quick navigation magnifying glass (most convenient place to launch it!) - you start a search soon after it displays (text or speech) and it simply closes.

On the off-hand time that it DOESN'T crash, searches more often pull up a web search rather than a contextual response.

"What movies are playing near me?"
    "When is the next Captain America showing?"
    "What were the top songs released this weekend"

etc.

They all pull up a bing search. Siri, GoogleNow, Alexa - all yielding in-context replies.

So when it doesn't crash, doesn't give a "Whoops, I'm not sure what happened", it mostly just does a web search.
    05-16-2016 10:21 AM
    I have had problems as well, shutting down, disappearing, crashing whatever you want to call it.
    But when it does work, returning web searches is useless to me for the most part.
    I want it to tell me what I want to know, not give me a response I must read.
    Many times I am trying to get info. while driving, so reading web pages is not an option for me.
    Also it just doesn't impress anyone if it can't talk to you and respond with useful info.
    05-16-2016 11:36 AM
    About the only thing I can get Cortana to do consistently is respond when I want to tell her to text someone. She does NOT, however, ever announce an incoming text message, thus never gives me a chance to reply.
    05-16-2016 12:08 PM
    After the update last night Cortana is finally back! This build seems to have finally made my phone mostly whole again. I just posted this on the "fixed/broken" blog post from last night, but figured I'd repost here as well:

This build has finally got my phone close to whole again. Groove seems to be fixed, Cortana is back after not having her for 2 or 3 other builds, and it seems to be much faster and smoother. Couple of issues I've noticed: like many other stated the phone got stuck on the blue windows logo for a while when updating. I forced reboot three time after letting sit on it for a while and it finished installing. Quiet hours didn't work last night. I set a reminder last night and it didn't remind me this morning until I physically went in to the reminders part of Cortana. And the biggest thing, a bunch of apps on my home screen won't open. Says that there might be an update in the store, but there isn't any. An uninstall/reinstall worked for the few I tried it on.

Otherwise, I might back out of the fast ring for now since a bunch of stuff was fixed, then evaluate installing the next one instead of automatically updating.
    05-17-2016 09:08 AM
    I've read elsewhere that Cortana's "Read text aloud" functionality is still broken with this build. Since this is the *only* bug of significance to me, I'm disinclined to update to this build and risk breaking other things.
    Can anybody who uses Cortana for text-reading confirm if this is indeed still broken?

Brad.
    05-17-2016 09:57 AM
    Are you talking about when you're connected to bluetooth? Because I just noticed over the weekend that that wasn't working with the previous build for me. I haven't had a chance to test with this new one yet, though.
    05-17-2016 10:58 AM
    Cortana is back! Sort of... Now I keep getting the "interests aren't available at the moment" message. Two steps forward, one step back. Such is life on the bleeding edge.
    05-17-2016 01:54 PM
    I got a chance to drive the car with the bluetooth this morning and sure enough, she does not read texts as they come in. Also, this whole "'x' app can't be opened" problem is much worse then I thought. I generally use about 8 apps on a daily basis, and half of them are broken. A couple are ones that aren't in the store anymore so I can't simply uninstall/reinstall.
    05-18-2016 08:04 AM
    Most of my apps were broken this morning but I left the phone on for a while and it updated them. Unfortunately my Text Messaging and Email apps were still dead so I rebooted and they reappeared.

Haven't received any texts yet to read aloud so not sure if that's working but I have my fingers crossed.
    05-18-2016 09:06 AM
    Stupid question, do you have the Read Text option as a default? If not, you need to do it. If you have, then change, close settings and then change to READ, many people I know did this and it worked.
    05-19-2016 04:47 AM
    Just installed the 1003 cumulative on my 950xl and finally, Cortana seems to be working. Hey works, live tile stays live for more than 2 mins, it now finds flights, does the text speech, maps etc... The only bugbear left for me now is that no interests are displayed. They are on live tile though (?) nevermind, RS is coming along nicely
    05-19-2016 04:58 AM
    As the song goes... "YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT" lol
    05-19-2016 12:56 PM
71 123