Messaging Everywhere Beta

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Just installed the latest build on my phone. In the settings for the Messaging app on my phone, I have "Send texts on all my Windows devices" enabled. When I launch the messaging app on my desktop (also on the latest build), go to settings, and try to change the "Sync Messages Through" field to choose my phone, its blank. Anybody else experiencing this?

Update: Looked on the Feedback hub and saw that lots of people are having this issue. I haven't found a resolution yet.

Last edited:

Jessy Tremblay

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
try to log out on (on the messaging app) on your phone and log in back. You should see your phone on the desktop after that (you can try to do the same on the desktop).

Temujin Morgan

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
OK, I have upgraded my spare phone no SIM. I can see it on my Test W10 VM in the Messaging app however I cant select any value for "Download messages through" and have it stick. Each time I go back that's blank.

The other oddity. My laptop with latest build and s messenger app has no options under Settings. Its blank and then says "about this app". Maybe my laptop isn't supported because it has a SIM chip for cellular data?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that.

Back to pinning Skype again. Will MS add it back?

No, in official release news they mentioned it as the strategy for new UWP Skype app arriving

All your Skype messages are in your OneDrive, open your Messages pc app, let it sync with internet, and you'll find them there

Removing the unuseful merge messages +skype is the real first good news after thousand of negative feedbacks

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I have high hopes removing Skype means SMS sync will work like it did in 8.1 days especially when setting up new devices and bringing in old sms.

SMS are always stored in OneDrive, I'm downloading them now on pc via Windows Phone Message Backup, then I'll try some method to import back in my spare phone

fuzzed1

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
This isn't working for me either but I think they have some clues for us here:
How to send and receive SMS from a Windows 10 PC - MSPoweruser

in the comments (I have the same issue)
I'm on 14316 (PC) and 14327 (Phone). I have one big difference. On the PC the messaging app is version 2.15.29011.0, but the Image above shows 3.16.11004.0. There is no app update through the Store. What is the proper version that the PC messaging has to be?

Anyone else notice this?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Here's my experience.

*If you initiate a conversation on the PC, all the messages sync properly with both PC and phone.
**Once you go to the phone to reply after initiating the conversation the PC doesn't get your own messages but does receive replies. Some messages do download but they show "downloading" underneath and come out of order or late
**Initiating a message on phone will show the reply come to PC but it will not show the message you sent on the phone.

It's likely because the setting for how far back you set your sync for constantly changes back to "blank". So it gives unpredictable results. I hope it's a server side setting MS can change since the messaging all goes through the cloud.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Here's my experience.

*If you initiate a conversation on the PC, all the messages sync properly with both PC and phone.
**Once you go to the phone to reply after initiating the conversation the PC doesn't get your own messages but does receive replies. Some messages do download but they show "downloading" underneath and come out of order or late
**Initiating a message on phone will show the reply come to PC but it will not show the message you sent on the phone.

It's likely because the setting for how far back you set your sync for constantly changes back to "blank". So it gives unpredictable results. I hope it's a server side setting MS can change since the messaging all goes through the cloud.

That's the same mess when Skype moved first steps on mobile with same desktop account. Sync to pc's was a disaster >.<

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Just an FYI, my Lumia finally showed up on my computer but I don't think I did anything different. But, now it won't save the setting with how far back to sync. I'm only getting new messages on the PC and I can respond through the Messaging App (although not from the quick reply banner notifications on the computer).

wizbit

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
One thing I noticed... In the Insider Hub, there is a screenshot of this in action. The version shows 3.xxx and the one in the latest build shows 2.xxx. So maybe the latest version of Messenger on the PC is not ready yet.

Temujin Morgan

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
SMS are always stored in OneDrive, I'm downloading them now on pc via Windows Phone Message Backup, then I'll try some method to import back in my spare phone

I wasn't aware of this software so thanks for mentioning it. A full day and its still downloading. Appears to pause when PC inactive. Finally up to Nov last year. Be interesting to see what of the latest has been kept. It sucks that no reset device can download old messages anymore but as long as they are being kept and I have access this way ill be happy for now.

Sebastianx

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
To those who have problems syncing their old messages on their W10 phone does this new feature restore back the old messages that cannot be sync prior to this build?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise