Skype removed from messaging? Help me understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I noticed this too.

Also, does anyone else find that they get Skype notifications of new messages but, inside the app, the chats are not updated to reflect these?

How else can I get Skype to update with the latest messages? Signing out amd in again doesn't fix it.

Thanks.

Ian

seldzar

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I noticed this too.

Also, does anyone else find that they get Skype notifications of new messages but, inside the app, the chats are not updated to reflect these?

How else can I get Skype to update with the latest messages? Signing out amd in again doesn't fix it.

Thanks.

Ian

I started noticing this yesterday after updating. I would have to leave Skype open and let it sit for it to finally sync. Most likely this is all due to background changes for the new app.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I noticed this too.

Thanks.

Ian

Yea I'm getting the same thing I have to read the skype notification and do not see the text from the notice in the actual skype app when talking to the person that skyped me. This is not a good thing, much preferred it the way it was built into messaging.

Also before when I got a skype notification I could reply to the person inline on the actual notification itself, with this new way I have to open the app to reply.

This is a backwards step in pretty much every way, hope they fix it to work like it used to.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
[WARN]It's been said before: other members are NOT a topic.

(Yet another) Zero Tolerance Zone for interpersonal bickering. Stick with the issue and lay off each other.

Thread tentatively reopened. Proceed at your own risk.[/WARN]

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I had the integration since I got my Lumia 950, battery was fine, was getting only 5% drain over night. If anything these latest fast ring redstone builds have been worse on battery since the de integration of Skype, probably not a direct correlation but it certainly has not helped the battery life having skype pulled from messaging.

It's a pretty stupid move IMHO, Skype needs to become the messaging portion of the entire OS not pulled from it and isolated as a separate app.

It's better if apps are separated from the OS. This allows them to be updated separately instead of having to push the updates for that particular app with an entire OS update.

As for battery life. It was great for you, but not as great for others. This is the next big hurdle MS has to deal with right now.

I THINK that eventually MS will add interactive notifications to the uwp app, which means you'll still be able to answer incoming messages without actually having to open the app. If you're an insider you can use the feedback hub to suggest this feature (just in case)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It's not coming back. Microsoft is releasing a new UWP Skype app soon to replace the current mobile app. To answer your question on why it was removed, no one can provide you the exact reason but Microsoft. One reason could be due to the messaging app being affected by it. Besides who knows, skype UWP might have some kind of integration with the messaging app.

To add that, the facebook (WM10 app) for instance has some integration with the people app, you can see the recent posts / status updates in whats new. However tapping anything opens up the facebook app. So it might work along similar lines, but we can only speculate at this point.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
No, the messaging app can and has been updated separately for months. Skype was not integrated into the OS, but into the messaging app

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Swanlee:

For what it's worth I liked having Skype integration in Messenger, too. though it was pretty slick to see all "urgent" things in one place. I will adapt - but I will miss the Messenger + Skype experiment while it lasted.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad that Messenger and Skype was disconnected.
I personally want my SMS Messaging app to remain just that.

I can use the Skype app when needed.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
This is from the Skype blog
The mobile release of the Skype UWP Preview app will bring you features you?ve asked for?like group calling and more?while leveraging the benefits of the Skype integration into Windows 10 you previously experienced, like a single view of your SMS and Skype conversations. This way you get the best Skype experience possible and you can take it across your Windows devices.

To our Windows Insiders: Skype UWP Preview app adds group features ? - Skype Blogs

So the UWP app will support integration with messaging and it would be optional.

Hope everyone would be happy now.

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Problem is the following: what will happen if the new Skype UWP drains battery? knowing Microsoft I think it's safe to bet on the fact that the first releases of Skype UWP will be very bad.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Problem is the following: what will happen if the new Skype UWP drains battery? knowing Microsoft I think it's safe to bet on the fact that the first releases of Skype UWP will be very bad.

Will happen nothing, sure that's the best idea to separate apps so everyone can use, enable, disable, quite and set one by one in background, notify center, lock screen.
And messages are listed in different screens
Merging I noticed was the most complained move

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Will happen nothing, sure that's the best idea to separate apps so everyone can use, enable, disable, quite and set one by one in background, notify center, lock screen.
And messages are listed in different screens
Merging I noticed was the most complained move

For you, but not for everyone.
You see I have nothing against new things, I do have something against poor implemention of new things. Why I am afraid? Looking back in the history of replacing apps, MS eco system is not pleasant. Biggest drawback Zune and the new Groove that went though name changes twice and redesign. Not even now it's not finished.
So... they launched Windows 10, they brag about messaging and skype integration, first releases were awful, with time it became better, now they have a pretty stable messaging + skype app (yes, it works, maybe not for you) and what do they decide? Kill it and start again with new Skype UWP
What does history tell us? That the first releases (probably the first year) the Skype UWP will be awful. We go again in the cycle of Microsoft stupid decisions of rebooting a product over and over as soon as it reaches stability.
For the life of me I cannot get why they are doing this with some of the apps/services.. I suspect someone is brain damaged and in charge of Microsoft decisions, cause otherwise there is no logical explanation. I mean when the community argues over and over about the Zune removal, you must be retarded to do that again with another product.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
For you, but not for everyone.
You see I have nothing against new things, I do have something against poor implemention of new things. Why I am afraid? Looking back in the history of replacing apps, MS eco system is not pleasant. Biggest drawback Zune and the new Groove that went though name changes twice and redesign. Not even now it's not finished.
So... they launched Windows 10, they brag about messaging and skype integration, first releases were awful, with time it became better, now they have a pretty stable messaging + skype app (yes, it works, maybe not for you) and what do they decide? Kill it and start again with new Skype UWP
What does history tell us? That the first releases (probably the first year) the Skype UWP will be awful. We go again in the cycle of Microsoft stupid decisions of rebooting a product over and over as soon as it reaches stability.
For the life of me I cannot get why they are doing this with some of the apps/services.. I suspect someone is brain damaged and in charge of Microsoft decisions, cause otherwise there is no logical explanation. I mean when the community argues over and over about the Zune removal, you must be retarded to do that again with another product.

Zune was one sad past choice :(

(if I remember well , there were past times when MS branch are full separated and they not interoperate)

That remember me the fall of Creative Labs, passing from creating new pc standards to almost disappear in market.

Now I trust in them (even they lost months of backupped sms).
However, the team follows (or almost try) the feedbacks.

Let's wait and see the news :)

"Don't count your chickens before they hatch."

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad that Messenger and Skype was disconnected.
I personally want my SMS Messaging app to remain just that.

I can use the Skype app when needed.

For those that used both alot it was much better to see them in one place and be able to reply to skype messages in the actual notification itself like you can with SMS. At the very least it should be a choice we are allowed to make for ourself.

Why should i have to open a completely different app to communicate if MS can integrate it and why should I lose features like inline notification reply's?

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

MS needs to fix the issue then, it certainly was not universal my batter is the same now as it was when Skype + messaging was integrated.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This is from the Skype blog
The mobile release of the Skype UWP Preview app will bring you features you’ve asked for—like group calling and more—while leveraging the benefits of the Skype integration into Windows 10 you previously experienced, like a single view of your SMS and Skype conversations. This way you get the best Skype experience possible and you can take it across your Windows devices.

To our Windows Insiders: Skype UWP Preview app adds group features ? - Skype Blogs

So the UWP app will support integration with messaging and it would be optional.

Hope everyone would be happy now.

Yes this is very encouraging, MS needs to keep their info in check and better communicate these changes though.

anton267

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I had HORRIBLE massive battery drain: 50% in 2hrs.

If you didn't experience this then you didn't really use Skype alot.

Agree! I had this type of drain, without using Skype at all. Just having my skype account logged on with the messaging app which is set to work in the background.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Skype Company Statistics ? Statistic Brain

Found these statistics interesting. Only 74 million users of skype. On the other hand, how many phone users are there in the world? About 4.5 billion. So what percentage of mobile users are on skype? Less than 2%. We can infer then that less than 2% of windows mobile users are on skype. This inference works if we assume that skype users are platform agnostic. So it's a very small percentage of people that will be irritated with this decision

I'm not making bad inferences here, am I? Feeling sleepy :asleep: so brain is half awake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo