Skype removed from messaging? Help me understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Skype Company Statistics ? Statistic Brain

Found these statistics interesting. Only 74 million users of skype. On the other hand, how many phone users are there in the world? About 4.5 billion. So what percentage of mobile users are on skype? Less than 2%. We can infer then that less than 2% of windows mobile users are on skype. This inference works if we assume that skype users are platform agnostic. So it's a very small percentage of people that will be irritated with this decision

I'm not making bad inferences here, am I? Feeling sleepy :asleep: so brain is half awake

I don't care what percentage of users it irritates if "I'M" one of those users.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Skype UWP will replace it. And you can integrate Messaging or any other chat clients that build hooks into it. It will sort of become a central messaging service and be customizable. Once you integrate messaging into it you can select it to be your default messaging app. MS knows what it's doing. It makes more sense as lets people keep plain messaging separate if they want to and still get a full functioning skype app.

Queen Kong1

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
It's not coming back. Microsoft is releasing a new UWP Skype app soon to replace the current mobile app. To answer your question on why it was removed, no one can provide you the exact reason but Microsoft. One reason could be due to the messaging app being affected by it. Besides who knows, skype UWP might have some kind of integration with the messaging app.

I'm kind of glad really, times i didn't want ppl messaging me on skype in my message inbox just sms messages only! should be separate

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, choice is good.

Forced integration would not work for me as my Skype was uber busy and muting/unmuting all my chats as needed would be tedious. Better to control it all at its source.

Now we've moved it over to Slack which is exploding for me. 117 contacts and 7 unique groups. I would never choose to integrate it into Messenger.

By comparison, I receive few SMS and don't ever need it silent outside of Quiet Hours.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
To the OP with the question of "Help me understand" all I can advise is to choose from any of the following words or phrases:

Stupidity.

Pig ignorance.

Downright stubborn and out to upset as many people as possible.

Your choice, maybe I was unlucky in my timing to try and get into Skype, it was about this time last year, I got my wife and children set up so we would have one platform for our communication (Important as my wife isn't an IT wizkid).

We have plenty of devices, WP's PC's tablets, Xbox's and it was shambolic, on RT you couldn't see or send pictures, on each device the interface and options where slightly different and then Skype dropped the bombshell that the "Modern" app (That was crap to be honest) would be dropped.

So we now had the stupidity of trying to shoe horn the desktop app on a tablet, when the one app that really worked (The one on the phone) could easily be made into a universal app, thousand complained and left Skype for other platforms but all we get from Skype on the "Community" forums was BLANK, nothing they would clam up and ignore all the questions and heartfelt appeals.

OK the new integrated apps where on the way but there was a two month gap.

I actually liked the integration with messaging, I could flick between using a Skype IM or a SMS when the need arose, one place for any message.

I can see some had problems, so instead of doing the sensible thing (Like they DIDN'T do last time) of giving people the CHOICE, they just close it down without a proper replacement.

So a year on after loosing so many upset customers, they do a 180 degree U turn and upset almost as many.

I really do hope people at Skype are hanging their heads in shame.

MS took over Skype with an unassailable dominance in the VOIP market and between themselves and the management at Skype have proceeded to muck it up so badly and really upset so many users.

Shame on them.

thinkdan

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Yea I'm getting the same thing I have to read the skype notification and do not see the text from the notice in the actual skype app when talking to the person that skyped me. This is not a good thing, much preferred it the way it was built into messaging.

Also before when I got a skype notification I could reply to the person inline on the actual notification itself, with this new way I have to open the app to reply.

This is a backwards step in pretty much every way, hope they fix it to work like it used to.

Honestly, Skype has always been a piece of garbage. Myriads of problems, like missing notifications, bad syncing, constant change of minds from Microsoft, etc. And it's always the same old excuse: "Skype wasn't built for messaging, so it's gonna take time". I've totally given up on it and MS should do the same and go back to the old Messenger which worked perfectly back in the WP7 days. Not gonna happen though.

seldzar

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Those of you unsatisfied with this do realize that you are free to go to the production build and enjoy all that wonderful integration that never gave YOU problems right?

Go enjoy the feature you want on the official GA release if it means that much to you.

Edit: nevermind on my skype comment, syncing still sucks on this old app.

Edit2: Syncing is definitely better than the previous build but it's still so slow on this app. I'm excited to try the new UWP app as it can't possibly get any worse... :grincry:

Last edited by a moderator:

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Those of you unsatisfied with this do realize that you are free to go to the production build and enjoy all that wonderful integration that never gave YOU problems right?

Go enjoy the feature you want on the official GA release if it means that much to you.

For the record, since 14328 the skype syncing issues have been fixed.

Skype works as you like, just choose your build.
Threshold, you got integration
Redstone, you got separated messages income.
100% users satisfied

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Skype works as you like, just choose your build.
Threshold, you got integration
Redstone, you got separated messages income.
100% users satisfied

Since th future direction of WP10 is redstone then it only makes sense for those of us with problems in the direction redstone is taking would speak up now before it goes live to production. The whole point of preview builds is to give feedback.

And yes I've given MS feedback on the insider and skype forums but that does not mean we should be shunned from discussing that here. I know people derail these types of threads to get the mods to shut them down but the reality is you are free to ignore these threads if you are happy with the direction redstone is taking skype+messaging.

You like the new way it's handled? Great either ignore this thread of create your own thread of how much you like the change.

pepsicocom

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I hated it. If it comes back, I hope there will be a way to toggle it on or off. On my dual SIM 950XL, the Skype messages showed up in the messages for both SIMs.

jbestman

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
You like the new way it's handled? Great either ignore this thread of create your own thread of how much you like the change.

So, you want to have a thread without dissenting voices? If we do not agree with your complaints we should just ignore the thread? That does not make sense.

Your point about wanting it tightly integrated has been made several times over. We get it. Some of us do not agree with you. We want it separated. I personally want to keep my sms/mms as far away from Skype as possible.

And no, I cannot take your advice and ignore this thread. That would be dumb. It would give a false picture of more people wanting it integrated when that might not be the case.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
[NOTE]Whenever a thread is created on a forum, it is by default a public space and any may post there with the only qualification being membership in the forum and adherence to the forum rules...

Welcome to teh interwebz. It's been this way since Al Gore invented the thing.[/NOTE]

Alberto Semenzato

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I agree both with those who hated skype, but also with those who loved it in messaging.
My GF is from the US and I live in Europe, we use skype every day exchanging hundreds messages (and some calls) per session.
It IS frustrating (I'm not on the redstone branch, but I was in the preview before), and I encountered many issues since November:
- The app was definitely draining battery, even on standby, mostly when using data connection. Now, after few updates, it works much better.
- Messages suddenly stop synching and device starts heating like a stove (both on phone and surface, on surface you can see the skype process starts using most of the CPU power and even disk I/O). You could literally cook eggs and bacon on it.
- Notifications sometimes not notifying anything. (in the last month it happens every day to me).
- The dreaded "couldn't send" message that requires you to wait days for it to be fixed. (it happened to me 3-4 times since November, and there was nothing to do than turning skype integration off and waiting)
- Sometimes you hit send and you don't know if your message is really sent because the app just hang there. Then you close it, reopen it and it sends the message.
- Every single update of the messaging app broke the experience for hours, sometimes requiring many reboots.
- Switching from phone to desktop and from desktop to phone sometimes breaks the conversation, leaving only the current device working and all the other hanged (again hot like a stove, few reboots required to make it working again).
- Sometimes conversations splits, and you have an old conversation and a new working one (this happened twice to me).

Honestly, the whole skype experience with integrated apps is crap to me.

That said, I DO love the concept of having all my conversations in a single messaging app, and I hope while publishing the Universal App they can still hook everything in messaging and let me choose the medium (also for xbox, since they did it for people). Actually they should open messaging integration to third parties and I hope other publishers (like WhatsApp) will give you the chance to hook their application to messaging (I know this is fiction, but.. That would be really cool to me)

MS concept of having a single messaging hub is more than good, it's excellent, realization though is.. Well, horribly handled.
Whatever they do though, I hope this is the LAST change they make, for good. I have this bad feeling they don't have a real plan and are just trying multiple path, but this is confusing for both them and more important, to all of us. They should just make a plan and stick with it.

PiGeonCZ

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I hated it. If it comes back, I hope there will be a way to toggle it on or off. On my dual SIM 950XL, the Skype messages showed up in the messages for both SIMs.

I am quite sad it is gone.
The mobile network operators are greedy and want us to pay a lot for SMS, no matter how long the SMS is they always charge you for 160 characters (70 for Unicode). The messaging+skype integration was quite easy to use and it could have save us some money.

You are right, the implementation had some glitches, but overall it wasn't that bad and it was optional so I don't get the hysteria.
The only thing it needed was to take care of the extra battery drain and bring some automatic algorithm which will route the message through SMS channel if skype isn't available for some reason.

I was more unhappy about the missed calls from the skype video, all of which were actually just some unsolicited calls from someone who is not on my contact list.

I am quite sure I will not bother to have the new Skype UWP always running, because it will then eat much more memory than the messaging up. And I hope they will come back with some lightweight app or integration.

regards

PiGeon

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
One thing clear from this thread is it's a divisive issue, and when you have division the best option is CHOICE.

I don't see why we cant have a long called for simple universal app (That works this time), the desktop program and the messaging app (Switch on and offable), Skype is going to the cloud, what client picks up that info is almost unimportant so PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Microsoft, listen to your customers and give a choice.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why people say Skype integrated eats battery, who told you that the UWP app won't? lol
Maybe UWP could be the same, but Messages+skype eating battery was a proven fact tested on the field on various phones by many forumer.
In forum first recommandation when a phone reached a drain up to 10% per hour in stanby, was logut SkypeVideo for disabling integration.

When UWP will be out, then we'll complaint about it ;)

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Maybe UWP could be the same, but Messages+skype eating battery was a proven fact tested on the field on various phones by many forumer.
In forum first recommandation when a phone reached a drain up to 10% per hour in stanby, was logut SkypeVideo for disabling integration.

When UWP will be out, then we'll complaint about it ;)

Then why are you happy it got removed when you could just logout from the integration?
That is just like "I don't like onedrive from photos sync! - ok then disable syncing - no, remove the service for good from the photos app!" it is just stupid when you have the possibility to sign out but you are more pleased with the killing of the integration.
Users these days...no wonder this platform is doomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb