Skype removed from messaging? Help me understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
[TIP]
Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced Windows users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for Windows ![/TIP]

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to understand why having skype and sms mixed up in the same page would be preferrable to have them in separate apps, you are not losing functionality just separating two things that are separate for all other providers (viber, whatsapp, fbmessenger, wechat), so it is becoming more consistent. You can still convert a normal phone call to a skype call from the phone app, that's a smart and useful integration.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Then why are you happy it got removed when you could just logout from the integration?
That is just like "I don't like onedrive from photos sync! - ok then disable syncing - no, remove the service for good from the photos app!" it is just stupid when you have the possibility to sign out but you are more pleased with the killing of the integration.
Users these days...no wonder this platform is doomed.

It isn't stupid, you develop one way to achieve one goal, that's how you develop things properly. You are not losing functionality nor usability. The photos app must show photos, so being able to show photos from many containers looks like a useful integration. Being able to show skype in the sms app, can't see the usecase for this, are you using SMS and skype messages in the same chat with the same person often? That would be the only usecase for which this integration would be needed.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to understand why having skype and sms mixed up in the same page would be preferrable to have them in separate apps, you are not losing functionality just separating two things that are separate for all other providers (viber, whatsapp, fbmessenger, wechat), so it is becoming more consistent. You can still convert a normal phone call to a skype call from the phone app, that's a smart and useful integration.

I'm losing features, right now I cannot reply to a skype message inline on the notification like I could before and like I can to SMS texts.

I get a skype notification, then have to manually open the app and find the conversation the notification came from, 90% of the time the recent text that triggered the notification isn't even displaying properly within the conversation. All of this to respond to a Skype text where before I could just reply in the notification itself like an SMS text.

Why do I want to have to manually open separate apps for things when it can be easily displayed in a single place and have it's behaviour consistent with other message types?

The mobile world is moving towards OS integration and consistent behaviour, it is silly to have to open separate apps and do wildly different things for each type of communication method.

Jeddic

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
The photos app must show photos, so being able to show photos from many containers looks like a useful integration.

The Messaging app is to show Messages. Given that Skype is the closest thing MS has to iMessage, this was MS' solution to allow users an alternative to SMS that they could still see inline with their SMS and MMS messages. It was honestly a great idea and works well. That said, having a separate app that handles all of the Skype functionality would be good, assuming they can get it to work. But even with a separate app it's important that features get integrated where needed, IE calling/messaging from People, Skype calls from Phone and Messaging, etc.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
So for both of you the answer is: the UWP app for skype with replies integrated in the notifications pane. If the app is not ready for redstone release (which I hihgly doubt since it is already almost finished by the looks of the preview) then your complaints will be understandable :)

Alberto Semenzato

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
(snip) are you using SMS and skype messages in the same chat with the same person often? That would be the only usecase for which this integration would be needed.

I do. You see, since the introduction of Windows Phone 7 and its integration with other social networks I don't really see messaging as an SMS app only but hopefully as an app where all my conversation will reside, sorted by contact. It just sounds as natural as having the people app with social updates from different social network for every contact. People for social updates, messaging for text conversations.
Skype integration was a natural and very well welcomed addition and it might sound fiction, but if they will integrate UWP skype to messaging like now, it means other apps could do the same, and I really hope they will.
When I want to text someone, I just want to open messaging and send a text, not to remember which app to use, wait for it to open, and sent the text.
I don't want an app for each medium, but to choose medium within a single, consistent interface. I miss the days where facebook messaging, messenger and sms all resided in a single app, but everybody knows it was definitely impossible to maintain. Giving vendors the opportunity to hook their app to messaging and update it indipendently though, that's a different story, and could be done for sure.

Again this probably sounds fiction to most of you, but I love the clean and simple interface of the messaging app, and that's where I want to conversate with my contacts.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I do. You see, since the introduction of Windows Phone 7 and its integration with other social networks I don't really see messaging as an SMS app only but hopefully as an app where all my conversation will reside, sorted by contact. It just sounds as natural as having the people app with social updates from different social network for every contact. People for social updates, messaging for text conversations.
Skype integration was a natural and very well welcomed addition and it might sound fiction, but if they will integrate UWP skype to messaging like now, it means other apps could do the same, and I really hope they will.
When I want to text someone, I just want to open messaging and send a text, not to remember which app to use, wait for it to open, and sent the text.
I don't want an app for each medium, but to choose medium within a single, consistent interface. I miss the days where facebook messaging, messenger and sms all resided in a single app, but everybody knows it was definitely impossible to maintain. Giving vendors the opportunity to hook their app to messaging and update it indipendently though, that's a different story, and could be done for sure.

Again this probably sounds fiction to most of you, but I love the clean and simple interface of the messaging app, and that's where I want to conversate with my contacts.

Same here I Skype my wife all through the day, she has to use Skype for her work desktop and she can't have her cell phone on so it is the way we communicate with each other during work hours. Worked great before with integrated Skype now it just really sucks, I miss full conversations, can't reply inline, the separate Skype app doesn't pick up the conversations in the notifications when I do get them.

Why would anyone want the hassle of using separate apps for what is just basic Text/Voice/video communication?

Last edited:

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Well the point is: THIS IS NOT COMING BACK. As simple as that. You'll be able to read and answer to all messages in the notification center from any messaging app (if they are UWP so...sms, skype, fb messenger soon and hopefully others), that will be your main hub that collects all the messages. If you want to do more (i.e. review the conversation or do more complex actions) you will have to open the app.

While you can't please everyone this is a very nice compromise to integrate everything in one hub while still keeping the development of each app to their own developers without having duplicate functionality.

Alberto Semenzato

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
This is not what it says the last UWP announcement, and honestly, I'm really wondering why all this anger and frustration from both sides.

The mobile release of the Skype UWP Preview app will bring you features you've asked for?like group calling and more?while leveraging the benefits of the Skype integration into Windows 10 you previously experienced, like a single view of your SMS and Skype conversations. This way you get the best Skype experience possible and you can take it across your Windows devices.

Now, maybe I'm not a native English speaker and I'm missing something, but it sounds exactly like somehow integrating Skype UWP into messaging to me.

And I, like everyone else who supports this feature, am hoping for that, support and call for it strongly as much as we hope for a real full-fledged (and hopefully working) skype app. What I'm saying is just because you don't understand or find a particular feature useful, this does not means it's useless to everyone or worse, nonsense.
Having a single point to view all your conversations is a feature of the messaging app indeed, and for some of us a very warmly welcomed one, that could possibly extend to Xbox and other messaging services later.

I think everyone will be satisfied when they'll release the UWP version, both integration fans and those who wants different apps. And if I weren't proven right they would have missed another great opportunity. Again. That's the real point in all of this, because again, that would mean they had no plans and end game vision for the whole thing and they were just throwing out features randomly, leaving everyone confused. Something they've been doing for years, for god's shake. And that's exactly what we should shout out loud against.

seldzar

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
This is not what it says the last UWP announcement, and honestly, I'm really wondering why all this anger and frustration from both sides.

Now, maybe I'm not a native English speaker and I'm missing something, but it sounds exactly like somehow integrating Skype UWP into messaging to me.

And I, like everyone else who supports this feature, am hoping for that, support and call for it strongly as much as we hope for a real full-fledged (and hopefully working) skype app. What I'm saying is just because you don't understand or find a particular feature useful, this does not means it's useless to everyone or worse, nonsense.
Having a single point to view all your conversations is a feature of the messaging app indeed, and for some of us a very warmly welcomed one, that could possibly extend to Xbox and other messaging services later.

I think everyone will be satisfied when they'll release the UWP version, both integration fans and those who wants different apps. And if I weren't proven right they would have missed another great opportunity. Again. That's the real point in all of this, because again, that would mean they had no plans and end game vision for the whole thing and they were just throwing out features randomly, leaving everyone confused. Something they've been doing for years, for god's shake. And that's exactly what we should shout out loud against.

This is still a matter of people who aren't looking down the road, they're looking squarely at their feet and complaining about the view. No amount evidence about how it looks up the road seems to get them to lift their head.

Save your energy for productive tasks like playing with the new 14332 build and providing feedback to MS.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
On a side note, I linked skype and messaging in 10586.218 and I've been monitoring battery usage. i've not seen that difference that used to be there. Same on the new build 10586.242.

Data is off, wifi off. I only switch data on when needed. I've uninstalled skype app
Lumia 1020, production release

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Well the point is: THIS IS NOT COMING BACK. As simple as that. You'll be able to read and answer to all messages in the notification center from any messaging app (if they are UWP so...sms, skype, fb messenger soon and hopefully others), that will be your main hub that collects all the messages. If you want to do more (i.e. review the conversation or do more complex actions) you will have to open the app.
While you can't please everyone this is a very nice compromise to integrate everything in one hub while still keeping the development of each app to their own developers without having duplicate functionality.

Man, why do you shout? You think you make your point move valid?
Nonentheless, your arguments doesn't make it true or better, it is just a way of seeing things.
People who are against the integration usually are also the ones against change.
Without change you ain't going forward. I suppose some of you are too comfy.. no wonder the platform is doomed.

BonzeUK

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by Florin_AnghelMan, why do you shout? You think you make your point move valid?
His point is that no matter how much you whine, stamp your feet or name call here nothing will change. It's done now and won't be changed back.

People who are against the integration usually are also the ones against change.
Without change you ain't going forward. I suppose some of you are too comfy.. no wonder the platform is doomed.
Why blame everyone else?
If you want integration, or think your voice isn't being heard, go complain on the Feedback Hub or start a thread on the official Microsoft forum.
Or is that sofa too comfy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte