Fix for unable to download maps

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I kept getting an error when trying to download maps to my phone after the 14328 build and hard reset. No matter how many times, it could not download, and kept telling me to retry later.

So, here's what I did. I deleted all the maps and made sure the storage location was my SD Card. Then I powered down, removed the SD card, put it in a card reader/writer, and plugged it into my PC. Now, on my PC I've got the entire United States downloaded for my maps, so I just copied over the entire thing.

How?

Locate your MapData folder on your PC. For me I found it at the following location:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\MapData

ProgramData is a HIDDEN folder, so you'll need to enable viewing of hidden folders to be able to do this.

I also located my MapData on the SD Card. It's located in the root directory, and is a hidden folder.

I deleted MapData on the SD Card, then copied MapData from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft to the SD Card.

4.2GB of copying later (size of the entire US maps), it was done, and I plugged it back into my phone.

Everything is working fine. I tested it by turning off cellular data, turning off Wi-Fi, and firing up the map program. I was able to zoom in to see street names from Orlando, Florida to Seattle, Washington and everywhere in between with no issues whatsoever. It works.

That's something to keep in mind. I can now copy these maps to my wife's phone and her PC and save on data even further. I just thought perhaps someone else may need to know this, so I thought I'd share.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
What if your phone does not have a sd card?

I don't know how to access the MapData on the local storage. Someone else may know and answer, or it may be that you'll need to jailbreak the device in order to gain access to it. Not really sure at this point.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Duh! Then you will not have this problem, as the phone memory is erased after rolling back using Windows Device recovery tool or doing a hard reset.

Internal phone memory can get corrupted as easily as the SD card, and that is where I initially had the issue. I had the maps stored on internal memory.

However, one thing I have learned is that if you have the maps on SD card, the maps don't get erased and you can begin using them where you left off before a reset without having to download again.

While Microsoft warns that using an SD card can degrade performance of the Maps program, and I do not recommend using it on some of the slower SD cards on the market, I did pick up a nice, high-end card capable of 90MB/s read/write to minimize that issue. Of course, the phone isn't capable of keeping up with that, but it does make for faster copying when I take the card out and use it with my PC on occasion. It also assures me that I'll get the fastest read/write the phone is capable of and not limited by the SD card read/write rate.

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
While Microsoft warns that using an SD card can degrade performance of the Maps program, and I do not recommend using it on some of the slower SD cards on the market, I did pick up a nice, high-end card capable of 90MB/s read/write to minimize that issue. Of course, the phone isn't capable of keeping up with that, but it does make for faster copying when I take the card out and use it with my PC on occasion. It also assures me that I'll get the fastest read/write the phone is capable of and not limited by the SD card read/write rate.
Is that really necessary? I would've figured any Class 10/UHS-I card would do the trick.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Is that really necessary? I would've figured any Class 10/UHS-I card would do the trick.

Not necessary to have that high of a performance, but I used the card in a digital camera before deciding to keep it for my phone. Got it on clearance sale, $13 for 64GB with those read/write speeds, so it was necessary for me to buy it. ;)

All that is required is that you get one that will maximize read/write that the phone can handle. I don't know the specs of the phone read/write capability, but any Class 10/UHS-I will definitely do the trick.

Using a Class 6, Class 4, or lower even can cause some serious stability issues with your device.

suresh venkata

May 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi sir ,
you explained well. But my problem is that "Offline maps are not downloading in my PC".
Every time I try to download maps Downloading Bar not completing till several days passes.
So please help me how to download maps in my windows 10 PC.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi sir ,
you explained well. But my problem is that "Offline maps are not downloading in my PC".
Every time I try to download maps Downloading Bar not completing till several days passes.
So please help me how to download maps in my windows 10 PC.

I don't know the answer to everything. Sorry. However, if you're using a phone with W10M, you might try moving your apps to SD card temporarily (assuming you have SD card support), then remove the card and copy MapData in reverse. It's the only thing I can think of off hand.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Did you have any luck doing this, without removing the SD card?
I'm trying to solve the same problem (maps taking days to download, I have another thread in the 950XL forum) over 100/100 connection, and I have a card with almost identical perf. characteristics to yours.

I really don't want to take my case off though, it's a pain, and I know it's going to fail one of these times, it's got all those tabs that "snap" into place. I tried browsing the phone, with all hidden and system files (shown) enabled, but I can only see the "system volume information" in terms of my hidden or system files.
I suppose there's an advanced browser somewhere, maybe.
I'm on up-to-date Win10, but not Redstone builds.

Thanks.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Did you have any luck doing this, without removing the SD card?
I'm trying to solve the same problem (maps taking days to download, I have another thread in the 950XL forum) over 100/100 connection, and I have a card with almost identical perf. characteristics to yours.

I really don't want to take my case off though, it's a pain, and I know it's going to fail one of these times, it's got all those tabs that "snap" into place. I tried browsing the phone, with all hidden and system files (shown) enabled, but I can only see the "system volume information" in terms of my hidden or system files.
I suppose there's an advanced browser somewhere, maybe.
I'm on up-to-date Win10, but not Redstone builds.

Thanks.
If you don't want to remove the SD card, you can, after copying maps to the SD card, simply plug in your phone to the PC, and using explorer just browse to the SD card in the phone to the MapData directory.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05