Build 14332 - encountered a serious hard reset issue

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I installed build 14332 on a Lumia 640 shortly after it was released thinking that it would be smooth sailing considering how the last few builds have been major problem free for me. The first real problem I encountered with build 14332 was that I could not get into the settings menu. The quick action button for settings would not work, and there is no settings listed in the app list.

I thought a hard reset would fix this since a soft reset didn't, but I could not go into the settings I had to hard reset using the button method.

The two gears came up indicating that the phone was doing a hard reset but then the reset process crashed, a frowny face came on the screen and then the phone would reboot by itself. The same cycle would keep going on as the hard reset process would crash all the time. I have never experienced this problem with doing a hard reset on any build.

I tried fixing this with WDRT but it would not detect my phone regardless of what I did. I figured my phone might be bricked. So for the next 30 minutes or so I just kept clicking 'detect my phone' at various stages of the reboot process until finally with some luck it decided to detect my phone and install the package.

I don't know if this was just a random problem I encountered or if it is something to do with the build but i thought i should let people know in case they do a hard reset.

Mansn42

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue with the build this morning. I waited a while and then rebooted. After the reboot the issue went away.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Shall I consider it that if I encounter this issue, I need to give it time to "settle in" like other builds have needed for other issues? Settle in time, then reboot without hard reset?

I'm currently downloading the build on my 640, and was horrified when I saw this thread. I'll report back issues after I've got it installed and had time to test.

Micky M

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Similar issue today morning/late night, it downloaded 332 version, but I did not restart, let the phone and slept, in morning it was rebooting by itself non stop. Tried soft reset, did not work, manual hard reset, did not work. Windows recovery tool cannot detect the phone...I am royally messed.

Phone Lumia 950xl Dual Sim, US Edition:sweaty:

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Similar issue today morning/late night, it downloaded 332 version, but I did not restart, let the phone and slept, in morning it was rebooting by itself non stop. Tried soft reset, did not work, manual hard reset, did not work. Windows recovery tool cannot detect the phone...I am royally messed.

I, like rhapdog, was downloading when I can across the thread, and thought "oh NO!", but I have installed with no problem (other than Netflix still does not load - but Onedrive does now...good deal!). So far, "So good":^)

950XL, DS (1 sim in use), USA

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site

This is what I did to get through that ordeal

In WDRT just click 'my device was not detected' and follow the prompts to Lumia phone. It should get you to a window that says something like unknown lumia device, and a package number and a button to install the package on your phone (sorry I don't remember the exact window as it was late in the night and i as panicking). It should download the package file which is about 1.6 GB. At that point it will say that your device was not detected when it tries to install it.

Now start the process again by going to back to the home window in WDRT and click my device was not detected. When you get to the window that says unknown lumia device and the package number wait for your phone to crash and then restart again on its own. As soon as you hear the phone vibrate click the install button. Since the package was already downloaded to your PC in the previous attempt it should fly by quickly and hopefully it gets you to the install the package on your phone.

Its not a concrete process as you just have to click things at random times in the reboot cycle in the hopes that the package will install on your phone.

seldzar

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a 950XL Dual Sim and my update this morning was painless. I did not experience this issue at all.

I haven't hard reset since I got the phone in Janurary which started with 10586.0 and I've updated to every build up to 14332.

For the record, my Netflix works ;)

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Got my update done, and aside from issues with messaging crashing, Cortana not taking reminders (reminders no longer work, at all), and other Cortana issues, it's going well. Well, I say that, but at least it isn't crashing constantly. I do have to reboot several times per day to resolve issues, though.

Chippy757

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Cortana actually works well for me, voice and manual commands.
Originally posted by rhapdog
Got my update done, and aside from issues with messaging crashing, Cortana not taking reminders (reminders no longer work, at all), and other Cortana issues, it's going well. Well, I say that, but at least it isn't crashing constantly. I do have to reboot several times per day to resolve issues, though.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Cortana actually works well for me, voice and manual commands.

Was yours a fresh install or hard reset? Or an in place upgrade? I've done 2 updates without resetting, and wondering if that may be the issue.

Cortana has actually improved and started doing some things for me, but she still can't do reminders. Still shows me as having too many reminders (thought I have none right now), and wants me to remove one. When I try to open reminders, it crashes.

Sounds like something corrupted on my end. I may attempt a hard reset soon if it doesn't improve.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss