W10M Insider Preview 14332 Issues (Redstone branch)

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Never paid any attention to which way around the USB-C connector was attached to my 950, but I must have used it both ways around, though now that I've used it for a while, the cable has a slight bend in it, meaning I likely now use it the same way everyday as the cable dangles from my bed-side table. I hope that makes sense... Anyway, it should and does work either way around unless you have a faulty socket on the phone or faulty plug on the lead.

indie24

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I have done a Hard reset many times last year and they always came back so they must of been backing up somewhere. This time nothing!

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
This past few weeks it has been two to three days at a minimum, the all of a sudden they all load. It seems I'm resetting one of my phones all the time LOL! and they always have shown up.

I should add I am not on 14332, but on recent and various builds they have all been slow to sync.

indie24

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok, just checked this morning and a months texts have come back. I'm sure the rest will be back soon 😅

Edit: They are all back dating to 2013 when I got the phone 👍

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I had reported earlier that my apps had been "resetting" themselves. Things began to get worse, and I was no longer able to update apps, and later figured out those apps were stored on the SD card. All apps getting reset were on the SD card.

Also, maps could not update. Stored on SD card.

At first I thought this was an issue with this build, so I went to the trouble of rolling back. Same issue on the stable builds, except this time I can't remove the apps already on the SD card and could not format the SD card for fresh use. I pulled it out, ran some test on the card with my laptop, and the SD card has stopped saving data. There is a part of it that "in memory cache" or something will make it look like changes have been made until there is a soft reset on the phone. Changes only work up to a certain amount of memory, though. On the laptop, removing and reinserting the card restores everything to original state, all files exactly as they were before changes.

The card is faulty, for sure. No, it's not a fake card. I checked it thoroughly when I first bought it 2 years ago, and it checked fine then. I may have just abused it over the years and it may have been "used up" as it seems to have entered "read-only" mode at this point.

Getting a new card in the morning, but I'll hold off on trying Redstone again since I'm already back to .242 build right now. With the drama I've had I'll stick with that.

bpsmicro

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I pulled it out, ran some test on the card with my laptop, and the SD card has stopped saving data. There is a part of it that "in memory cache" or something will make it look like changes have been made until there is a soft reset on the phone.
What you describe is typical for a failed SSD drive, (which is essentially the same basic concept). When an SSD drive fails it typically goes "read-only", but while attempts to repair/recover will *appear* to work, nothing's actually getting written. I went through this with an SSD and spent two days trying to figure out what was going on.
The good news is that if you get a new card, you should be able to recover photos/etc off the old one since it's readable. I suspect not apps though, but you should be able to just reinstall. Mind you, things like photos probably got backed up to the cloud anyway.

Brad.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
What you describe is typical for a failed SSD drive, (which is essentially the same basic concept). When an SSD drive fails it typically goes "read-only", but while attempts to repair/recover will *appear* to work, nothing's actually getting written. I went through this with an SSD and spent two days trying to figure out what was going on.
The good news is that if you get a new card, you should be able to recover photos/etc off the old one since it's readable. I suspect not apps though, but you should be able to just reinstall. Mind you, things like photos probably got backed up to the cloud anyway.

Brad.

I've already done a hard reset anyway, no reinstalling apps is no big. Just waiting on getting a new card. Ordered online this morning and will pick it up in a couple of hours.

Mars2003

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
It would've an good to have known this before hand. Fitbit are pretty big and I'm surprised this wasn't in the known issues. Lucky that the desktop fast ring is still working fine.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
On my 950 XL I'm still seeing the following bugs:
1) During a cellular call, my screen goes black and I cannot bring it back without either resetting or holding down the power button until the slider shows. Even then the screen goes back to black intermittently until reboot.
2) Lag in sending text messages, sometimes up to 5 seconds for the send to leave the text box.
3) Cortana frequently crashes doing a simple search
4) Outlook mail - I have it set to "as mail is received" yet I sometimes have to manually do a sync after not receiving mail for an hour.
5) Most live tiles do not update content until I open the app

All have been reported through WF.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb