W10M Insider Preview 14342 Discussion (Redstone Branch, Inactive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(5352534)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Best performance of any build so far, except in the battery department

I know many people are having a bad experience with this build specially when it comes to battery usage. For me it's the same, the battery drain is much higher than previous build, I have to keep it connected to the charger at most times so I don't run out.

But other than that this build is great. I hardly ever see the loading/resuming screen, typing is fast, touch response is fluid, apps open faster, multitasking is great and apps resume really fast, Camera speed is great and overall there are less app crashes and so far not a single reboot. I think now I see something good coming together for the first time in the entire Windows Phone 10 Developer Preview history and I have been 'previewing' from the very first build. First time I see a build that can match the performance of windows phone 8, except in the battery department of course.

Still there is much to improve UI wise and lacking functionalities of the apps as well as the OS itself (wallet/mobile payment). Also the picture quality is still horrible on my 830 as compared to on Denim. But at least now I know, even though slowly, MS is moving in the right direction.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: W10M Insider Preview 14342 Issues (Redstone branch)

Battery is tough to manage on some devices. Like the 950/950 xl. I mean it's pushing 1440x2560 pixels. Most devices in that range don't have the longest battery lives. Granted there are optimizations that can be made and hope MS does as much as possible. But keeping screen at 25% usually keeps my battery lasting long. And If I'm in bright light i just increase it to 50-75%. Auto seems to kill battery more for me than if I control it.

FAVIOLOSKY

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site

UPDATE!
On Xiaomi Mi4 i went to battery usage by app and Microsoft People was pulling a +30% i disabled it to run in the background along with location. Also noticed that Microsoft Phone was at 15% and i hadn't made any calls or received for that matter. So i Disabled that as well. it still seems to drain semi fast now, but not Stupid Fast like it was before. Its not getting as hot anymore. It went down 6% in 50Min. i have had cellular data but the wifi on.

Update: As another member mentioned its all about the Cellular Data being turned off. it sucks because even with the wifi on, battery drain is at its highest when Cellular Data is on, up to 16-19% Per hour.
Microsoft please fix this bug!!! It really is becoming hard to stay with Win10 when you don't know if the next update will be less stable than the last.

Last edited:

teemulehtinen

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

Those who say there may be something with the cellular connection could be onto something. I have had six calls that did not connect and ring at all in the last 24 hours but went straight into answering machine despite the phone being in a location where the connection should be from good to very good under normal circumstances.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site

You dont pay attention, sir ;) It always worked, and showed the chrono list too as asked by insider to the "OMG we got it" (according to you) QA Dept.
only the graphic button was wrong. They just fixed it too.

They actually improved how the updates are checked. It works fine. You're just used to the long wait which isn't going to be an issue anymore.

Well riddle-me-this: There are known specific app updates available (TweetIt!, for example). How come the Check for Updates is not finding any of them? The button turning to grey for a millisecond when touched is little bit too quick to be "working", imo. Others here and elsewhere also concur.

deno#WP

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

On 1520 same issue of draining battery and MS Health and Cortana are high background usage.

Travis Flenker

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: Best performance of any build so far, except in the battery department

I know many people are having a bad experience with this build specially when it comes to battery usage. For me it's the same, the battery drain is much higher than previous build, I have to keep it connected to the charger at most times so I don't run out..

Outside of some battery drain yesterday, the build has been great. Disabling Hey Cortana seems to have fixed that for me. I'm losing around 3-4% per hour with light usage.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

Well riddle-me-this: There are known specific app updates available (TweetIt!, for example). How come the Check for Updates is not finding any of them? The button turning to grey for a millisecond when touched is little bit too quick to be "working", imo. Others here and elsewhere also concur.

Check for updates is now working for me as of this morning on my 950 XL.

asarekena

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I would say that I have been fortunate on this build on my Lumia 1520. The build is very smooth fluid on my device even than the official version. The only thing am missing is hey Cortana. I was afraid to give it a try but now it's all worth the risk. Hoping that they continue to work and trash out all other bugs to make it more stable to other devices. No battery drain in mine as reported here. On idle I loose 1% to 1.5% per hour. And that's very good to me.

Brett Sites

May 31, 2013
Visit site

Got the sad face doing this update. My work doesn't let the Device Recovery Tool download the software package. Is there another way to get that file online without the recovery tool and put it in the proper folder so the recovery tool can use it? Nokia Lumia Icon.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Lumia 1520 - battery is not so good as with earlier previews, but let's see few days more as there were few system updates (people, phone, messages) after OS update ... anyway, I like this preview - bluetooth might be a little more stable - new store, maps and groove is working better too ...

EDIT: I can connect LG TV by Miracast after few tries. However, LG's miracast display quality is not equal with Microsoft own wireless display adapter, some is extremely good ...

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site

Anyone getting outlook mail to show number of new emails on the live tile? Im getting the action centre notification but no visible live tile number count. As a matter of fact, outlook mail is showing me a "blank" outlook account that I cant delete and then my outlook account. Anyone else having these issues?

darth furious

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

Anyone getting outlook mail to show number of new emails on the live tile? Im getting the action centre notification but no visible live tile number count. As a matter of fact, outlook mail is showing me a "blank" outlook account that I cant delete and then my outlook account. Anyone else having these issues?

on this build you have to go to your email, go to the menu on the bottom, click on "pin to start" and then delete the other one. I had to do this for all 7 of my email accounts

darth furious

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

My phone is stuck on landscape rotation and will not rotate back. I need to go to the start menu and do rotation lock to keep it in portrait. Started yesterday, 1 day after this build

chawed wedder

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
Re: W10M Official Release Build 10586.318 Issues

latest fast ring update works great on my lumia 640, no lags and very smooth.
love swiping back an forward in edge browser. after update i did a reset with no backup recovery.

CarR9

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site

New build avalaible!!!

"UPDATE 5/18: We are releasing Build 14342.1003 today for Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. This build is exactly the same but with some additional fixes to improve reliability of this build on devices"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720