Rings, Branches, and Builds - oh, my! Any help?

teddystiles

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Rings, Branches, and Builds - oh, my!

Can someone either point me to, or provide a quick primer (or graphic!) on how the Windows 10 branches/builds work? I understand the basics of software development, but I'm having trouble keeping track of where I am and where I want to be.

I'm particularly interested because I'm on an HTC One M8, and have only been using the preview for about two months since I discovered that they had abandoned me in the wilderness. I'm on the "Insider Release Preview," rocking Version 1511, Build 10.0.10586.318.

From what I understand, I can't move over onto the Redstone track, so I'm curious where I'm at, where I should be, and what I can expect. I can probably figure out most of things myself if I could find a succinct explanation of the overall development/preview process.

Thanks!

teddystiles

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Rings, Branches, and Builds - oh, my!

Having read that, I can see I was on the right track, but I also understand where my questions are coming from:

Since getting the preview, I've already received one update (to 318). I was under the impression that the TH2 branch wouldn't be receiving updates, so I was obviously confused - was I actually on a different branch? If I was on TH2, can I expect more updates?

My biggest question: do the slow/fast rings on my branch have any newer versions? Obviously if they are both on .318, it's not worth changing to either.

Final question: I put my wife on Insider on her 640, and I think she's on TH2 .318. In the off chance that AT&T actually releases 10 for the 640, what will I need to do to get her onto the official branch?

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
1 - Threshold will get updates till Anniversary update, when Redstone should become the official build, as upgrade of every Win10 phone

2 - Fast Ring always got Redstone builds first. Slow Ring, after few weeks. It depends on fast ring iussues feedback.

3 - WTF you messed your wife phone???
Seriously, seems like At&T still doesn't release anything. Simply choose the Production Ring. It will be updated when official will get an upper build number.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
TH2 is getting patches still on Patch Tuesday. patch tuesday - Bing

Fast and Slow are testing Redstone and when it is at or near RTM (Release to Manufacturer), then Redstone in a stable form (still expect a stray bug or two) will drop into Release.

If you want the most security, drop your wife's phone to Production. WaaS (Windows as a Service) will keep her patches coming and don't worry about AT&T as they no longer figure. Firmware that ATT would need to touch is done for 640. You could stay on Release and preview Redstone before it hits your wife's handset to help triage any needed adjustments.

If you move up to Slow it would be experimental builds right now and Fast would be bleeding edge. Neither is recommended for a daily driver.

teddystiles

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

1. Lumia 640: I obviously put my wife into Release Preview to initiate the upgrade from 8.1 to 10. Now that she's there, I should put her back onto production so that she'll be upgraded to Redstone when it drops, if I understand correctly.
  2. HTC One M8: You all are saying that Fast and Slow rings are Redstone, which I get. But are you saying that if I put my HTC One in one of those rings that I'll get a Redstone build? I was under the impression that I wasn't able to access Redstone builds with this handset. If not, what WOULD I get if I tried to get into one of those rings?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
HTC One M8: You all are saying that Fast and Slow rings are Redstone, which I get. But are you saying that if I put my HTC One in one of those rings that I'll get a Redstone build? I was under the impression that I wasn't able to access Redstone builds with this handset. If not, what WOULD I get if I tried to get into one of those rings?

Yeah, sorry. I guess I glossed over that you had the One (M8). Redstone looks to be off limits to your phone at this time.

teddystiles

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. So if I set an HTC One M8 to Fast or Slow ring, I'll get the same thing I have on the Release Preview ring, right? .318?

I'm still not sure who's to blame, but I'll choose HTC for breaking their promise. GRRR. Third and last HTC device for the foreseeable future (HTC Tilt, Titan, One M8, with a few Samsungs and Lumia's sprinked in-between).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion