W10M Insider Preview 14356 Issues (Redstone Branch, Inactive)

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Great, there was disabled and I cannot find the hidden settings ^_^

What I did to get it back was go to the store and download "windows Voice recorder". It was uninstalled for some reason. Then Rebooted. Went to Settings > Phone, scroll down to choose apps and voice recorder should appear.

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
All above, plus Camera App freezes and crashes when used on 950xl. So, no new features and more bugs. Great

That's not quite fair. There's a butt load of fixes this build, of many complained about issues. I'm super impressed with the lack of issues being reported so far this build(even if it is early)

Your camera crashing experience is not happening to me. If anything, my camera performance is better now with the SD card improvements made this build.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
All above, plus Camera App freezes and crashes when used on 950xl. So, no new features and more bugs. Great

Maybe restart. Camera works fine on my 950XL. Only issue is that when you force HDR and go to edit, it doesn't actually let you use HDR. But that's been an issue for a while now.

Make sure you actually have the camera app installed. Sounds weird but some stuff gets uninstalled after builds. Windows voice recorder was uninstalled for me. And make sure your default camera app is the actual windows Camera one.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
So far enjoying this build. Everything is snappy on my 950. One bug that I have encountered, and it was present on the last build too, is trying to view and download images via Cortana image search. I can view the image results, but when I click on a specific image to view and download/save, Cortana will crash. Does anyone have this issue?

Same here. Cortana search is generally pretty buggy for me, constantly crashes when I'm trying to perform a search. I resort to Bing.com on edge.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
On my 950 XL DS I am not seeing most of the posted issues. My Band 2 is also working flawlessly and syncing without issue other than an intermittent delay in notifications of texts.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Worked fine when I tried it. I opened a photo on my phone, then opened Cortana with the button and said "send this photo to my pc" - it popped up a list of the two machines I have on 14352 and my MS account associated with. I picked one, and a few seconds later the photos app opened on my pc and displayed the photo.

longlifexs

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded to this from 14267.1002, so these are my experiences:

A Skype conversation I had in the past disappeared from Messaging. Is Skype still a part of the Messaging app?

Did they kill Insider hub? Can't open the installed app or find it in Store. EDIT: oh it is merged with the Feedback hub..but now I cannot uninstall the Insider hub from my app list.

Also, is it still possible to set what is displayed on Glance screen (I don't want the detailed status but it seems the setting is gone)?

Iris scanner doesn't fire up when no password is needed (i.e. if you turn of screen but turn it on again before the timeout for new login), which is good.

Overall experience seems a bit buggier, longer wait times etc., Store is a lot slower and buggy (updating apps doesn't work, some buttons don't show any text...).

I will let it rest for a day and hopefully the performance will improve.

Last edited:

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
After hard reset, can't check for updates and can't update the store. Tried hard reset once more and few soft resets, but still. Will downgrade now. Hope it won't be issue after upgrading again.
And can't download keyboar suggestions for Serbian. Was able before.

STORMY13

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site

A Skype conversation I had in the past disappeared from Messaging. Is Skype still a part of the Messaging app?

Did they kill Insider hub? Can't open the installed app or find it in Store.

Also, is it still possible to set what is displayed on Glance screen (I don't want the detailed status but it seems the setting is gone)?

Iris scanner doesn't fire up when no password is needed (i.e. if you turn of screen but turn it on again before the timeout for new login), which is good.

Overall experience seems a bit buggier, longer wait times etc., Store is a lot slower and buggy (updating apps doesn't work, some buttons don't show any text...).

Can't help with the rest but the bolded above is an easy one. They integrated Insider into the Settings. You can now find it under Settings->Update and Security->Windows Insider Programme.

The Glance question I wouldn't mind an answer to as well, but that is more on Microsoft adding those options back than anything anyone here can say.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

Did they kill Insider hub? Can't open the installed app or find it in Store.

Insider HUB: now Feedback HUB app
Glance: may need to turn back on after update (what is displayed is set in Settings>Personalization>Lock Screen)
Iris: don't know, don't use it

YES, give it a day, usually improves dramatically

Cheers!

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Cortana -> Burger -> Settings -> Change what Cortana knows about me in the cloud = absolutely nothing just Cortana circle and that's it.

Lumina ICON (929).

richardeid

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Lumia Icon.

.1004 was an awesome improvement for battery life.

This new build at .1000...not so much. Battery life is back to being abysmal.

I've had my phone off the charger for exactly one hour now and the only usage I've had was receiving a couple of text messages (haven't replied to them).

wp_ss_20160602_0001.jpg

So three hours of battery life on a full charge. And according to the breakdown on the next screen Start has used ~67% of the battery so far. Now given that lots and lots of live tiles can have an effect on battery life that wouldn't be so surprising, but I'm not using any. In fact, right now I don't really even have a start screen. I have no pinned tiles at all and am launching everything from the all apps list.

Also, the phone is constantly a heater like the couple of builds before .1004. No apps are running, either.

This is pretty disappointing.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Lumia Icon.

.1004 was an awesome improvement for battery life.

This new build at .1000...not so much. Battery life is back to being abysmal.

I've had my phone off the charger for exactly one hour now and the only usage I've had was receiving a couple of text messages (haven't replied to them).

So three hours of battery life on a full charge. And according to the breakdown on the next screen Start has used ~67% of the battery so far. Now given that lots and lots of live tiles can have an effect on battery life that wouldn't be so surprising, but I'm not using any. In fact, right now I don't really even have a start screen. I have no pinned tiles at all and am launching everything from the all apps list.

Also, the phone is constantly a heater like the couple of builds before .1004. No apps are running, either.

This is pretty disappointing.

I'm experiencing neither issue (950XL), you may have a lot going on in the background, give it a day...see what happens.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Pretty good so far, had a minor problem when the update was installing, it got stuck at 62%, had to do a soft-reset and then it came up fine, so it had done what it was supposed to have done, but didn't finalize properly for some reason. Seems ok though.

Ditto what someone else said about arranging the quick-action icons, it's not very intuitive, and doesn't really work how you would expect.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't get the send photo to PC feature, I'm probably being dumb, but can someone explain this. My phone is on the same WiFi network as my Windows 10 PC, and can also be paired via Bluetooth, but with either connection I see no option to send to PC, there's nowhere to activate Cortana from within the photo album (when viewing a photo) to then ask her to send the picture...

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I don't get the send photo to PC feature, I'm probably being dumb, but can someone explain this. My phone is on the same WiFi network as my Windows 10 PC, and can also be paired via Bluetooth, but with either connection I see no option to send to PC, there's nowhere to activate Cortana from within the photo album (when viewing a photo) to then ask her to send the picture...

Speccy, I think the phone and the computer need to be on Build 14356; but to execute the feature:

Open a photo from the default photo app> say "hey cortana...send this photo to my pc"

I do not have 13456 on any other computer, so she tells me that she can not find a pc nearby to send the photo to (even though I am sitting in front of 3 computers, all on the same account; but NOT on 14356)

Last edited:

Hophead1994

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, they also changed the scaling to include the tiles, I wish there was a way of undoing that or get rid of the text all together.

Hophead1994

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site

I think when the picture is open you can activate Cortana to send the picture, I tried it at my office but it didn't work since my computer is at home.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
14356 is getting better and better with time.

First: the update went off without the usual, hours and hours of the Window Splash Screen (like the last three updates).
Second: no Call Recorder recognized after update; after soft reset, works like a charm (probably would have corrected itself if I'd of given it a little time to do so).
Third: Cortana was not responding very well after update; now she works like a helpful lady:) - even with my bluetooth connected to a headset, although her reply is in written form when connected to the BT (this is new for me).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon