W10M Insider Preview 14361 Discussion (Redstone Branch, inactive)

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: W10M Insider Preview 14361 Issues (Redstone Branch, Fast Ring)

Some WP8 apps are crashing upon launch since upgrading to this build. Hard reset, too, didn't work.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

@swanlee - You should have tried a Hard Reset first. Might have fixed all of your problems. If you have issues with a build when other builds have worked fine a Hard Reset should be tried before anything else. I know it is a pain but we are on a Beta OS and we are supposed to be trying to help iron out the bugs. A Hard Reset has always fixed any issues that I have had on any Insider builds and I have been in the program since day one.

This is just my experience but it is worth a shot if you are having problems.
I totally agree. I had no option but to do a hard reset a few months ago on my ICON 929 - Heartbreak is the word alright. But Since then I haven't had any problems on any update installs. Just problems here and there with various features that have all been fixed in subsequent builds.
Peace. Alan

ps and Heartbreak really doesn't describe the pain quite well enough.:winktongue:

s7EPSIDe

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site

I'm sorry Cortana doesn't read messages, all other functions are awesome fast now, hope they are working on something new about istant reading.

OT: text prediction is awesome now

For some reason it got turned off during the update.... Works fine on my 1520 after enabling it again.

Cortana - The 3 lines in the upper left corner - Settings - Read Text Messages aloud - Always on

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

@swanlee - You should have tried a Hard Reset first. Might have fixed all of your problems. If you have issues with a build when other builds have worked fine a Hard Reset should be tried before anything else. I know it is a pain but we are on a Beta OS and we are supposed to be trying to help iron out the bugs. A Hard Reset has always fixed any issues that I have had on any Insider builds and I have been in the program since day one.

This is just my experience but it is worth a shot if you are having problems.

I tried a hard reset and it did not work then I tried the reset option in the phone and it crashed and restarted my phone as soon as I put in my credentials and hit the ok button. My ONLY option was the recovery tool on the pc I had no other way to revert my phone to a working state and am not interested to waste another night messing with it and put it back on the fast ring. I have several test PC's on W10 fast ring but for the most part I actually need a working phone and I'm not interested in wiping my phone again

I also tried to submit feedback through the feedback app but that crashed and restated my phone to. Cluster F, no way I was going to stay in this state until the next build.

Benetnach

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site

I gotseveral problems with this build:
- Phone freeezes when try to enable data
-Does not recognize WiFI connections
-videos crashes the video and movies app.
-almost any app closes suddendly
-settings keeps loading.

Lumia 950xl dual sim.

Rezelius

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

I'm still having a few issues not sure if I am the only one or what but I am having the following occur after updating and then doing a hard reset, with fresh install, no restore:

1) the store still seems to be having issues with updating installed Apps.
I will do a manual check for updates, get a couple updates and then 2 minutes later go to open an App (Groove or Films&TV for ex) and be told its not up to date.

2) I am using a 1520 and have all my regional & language settings set to Canada - English but "Hey Cortana" is telling me "To use Hey Cortana, make sure your region and speech language match your current display language" which they do.

Changaizee

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site

In Photos app, "set as background/lock screen" option is removed, any workaround for this?

Yes that is very annoying, but workaround is simple you wil have to go to the Start and lockscreen setting page to set the desired image.

Changaizee

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site

I'm still having a few issues not sure if I am the only one or what but I am having the following occur after updating and then doing a hard reset, with fresh install, no restore:

1) the store still seems to be having issues with updating installed Apps.
I will do a manual check for updates, get a couple updates and then 2 minutes later go to open an App (Groove or Films&TV for ex) and be told its not up to date.

2) I am using a 1520 and have all my regional & language settings set to Canada - English but "Hey Cortana" is telling me "To use Hey Cortana, make sure your region and speech language match your current display language" which they do.

Yup, you are not the only one,im with L1520 too i have same issue, mine tells all apps were updated but yet they wont run, i ended up in a bigger mess though, i did a hard reset and restored backup, and behold it didnt restore my Start screen setup, i was directly on the all appscreen, swiping didnt do nothing, so i did a hard reset again, store still wont auto update, even doenst manual update, specially Groove and Movies and TV app. . frustrating, cant set network to 3G only, cant set wallpaper on lock or start. but again we chose to be a fast insider right :p

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

mtf1380- I had not tried with Bluetooth off because I use that to connect to my Band 2. Anyways, no difference. I do receive the alert toast message and sound effects, just not Cortana kicking in and asking to read or ignore the message.

Tried doing a soft reset (volume down + power) and the first message was read by Cortana. Hopefully this will stay. Thanks for your help everyone!

Did you Check:

Settings > Ease of Access > More Options > Use Speech to announce call ID = "ON"?

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

Yes that is very annoying, but workaround is simple you wil have to go to the Start and lockscreen setting page to set the desired image.

hey there, thats probably why the picture i set for the photos live tile is gone. that and a previous thing from i think the last build or a few prior, where pressing the camera button vibrates the phone twice instead of once, are the only issues for me. lumia 950 XL dual sim (from microsoft store in u.s.)

btw has anyone installed this build in an alcatel one touch fierce xl? my mom has that and i was thinking of installing it in her phone. curious to know what people think of this build in that phone.

EDIT: I noticed now if my phone is locked and I select an incoming notification (not dropping down the action center menu) that I need to type my pin code to unlock my phone instead of using Windows Hello.

Last edited:

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

950XL, DS, US:

Settings > Privacy > ANY SELECTION (doesn't matter, pick one- other than location) > Choose the apps that can access your account info > Circling DOTS appear for a second, then disappear (No action can be done). Backing out of most selections, causes Settings to crash.

gjgill

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site

Nokia Lumia 830 here. Worst update ever. SD card issues (tiles greyed out), random system shutdowns, system will not shut down when commanded (sticks on "Goodbye"). Will perform a hard reset using WDRT. Very disheartening, since I have been an Insider for about a year and I have never really struggled with all previous upgrades in both branches until now.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

You and I must write differently. Word Flow is still a complete disaster on our Lumia 950 devices. I can never count on it getting anything more than words like "it" "you", etc. correct.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

I agree, Word Flow is dog sh1t on my 950 too. Word Flow on Windows 10 has never been anywhere near as good as it was on 8.1, not only that it seems to be getting worse lately.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

You and I must write differently. Word Flow is still a complete disaster on our Lumia 950 devices. I can never count on it getting anything more than words like "it" "you", etc. correct.

ScubaDog, I think your assessment is correct, I believe it does matter how you write; for example the words leading up to a terminus, or use the same set of words when texting, or constantly refer to a particular entity..."sooner or later" the word predictability should/will learn, improve and anticipate more accurately.

Seems to be getting better on my 950XL, anyway? the Main problem I encounter is mostly with the suffixes.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Word Flow has always worked great and is a godsend feature for me. Are you guys doing it right? Don't peck; just glide over each letter in smooth motion without lifting your finger. I don't even need to be accurate either and it recognizes the intended word for me.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site

Sometimes turning mobile data freezes phone.Going in app listing in store for some apps freezes store and sometimes closes it. Can't download keyboard suggestions. Having this issues since that 14342.1004 build.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

So far the only issues I have run into are:

*Instagram not launching
*Store is pretty slow

I do notice that windows boots much quicker. Anyone else notice this?

Few more issues found:

*After leaving continuum when I listen to music on deezer or anywhere, every time the track changes it mutes headphone sound. I have to change the volume in order for it to go back even though it doesn't show it muted. A restart fixes this.

*Background apps behave oddly at times. If I go to an app it will show as if it's restarting. So far seen it happening with Deezer but it could be the app.

*I have a Gym app that has a counter built in. Typically when I finish a set a counter goes off. I then turn the screen off and prep for the next set. The issue is that when the counter finishes the sound that normally plays won't play. It only plays once i turn the screen back on and unlock phone. Even if I do that 20 minutes later it plays it as if the sound is Queued to play once I unlock screen. That's really annoying as I have to change my timeout and let the screen stay on the entire workout.

*Battery is also not the best on this build. I'm not sure if being on these insider builds is worth it as we kill our batteries. And there's no way of getting new battery replacements.

I know my issues are not as bad as others, but I'm almost thinking of rolling back. I'm at the gym quite often and this is going to be annoying. I can't even use the disable screen app as the sound still doesn't go off when it's in the background, only foreground. And yes the settings are correct in both battery saver and privacy>background apps.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

Word Flow has always worked great and is a godsend feature for me. Are you guys doing it right? Don't peck; just glide over each letter in smooth motion without lifting your finger. I don't even need to be accurate either and it recognizes the intended word for me.

It's great with big words but it seems to have an issue with things like "it" "has" etc.. It just randomly picks words where you don't even hover over the letter. I will seriously hover over only "has" really slowly and it still picks "had" or something it feels like picking at the time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa