Removed features: What do you miss the most?

Nagesh Boppana

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
They use telemetry data to put the grid view of the camera roll at start up as this way photos are a one touch away. They noticed pretty much everyone was going to camera roll first. But unfortunately telemetry data does not include the delight and smiles on peoples faces when they see their favourite moments and memories.

I do not remember if they had Feedback hub when they replaced this photos app. If they did, I am sure lot of people like me would have shown angry faces :)

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
The me tile, posting statuses simultaneously to Facebook and twitter from the me tile, twitter and Facebook feeds in the people hub, being able to write on your friends wall or tweet them from the people hub without opening the apps to do so

Sent from mTalk

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
1.) Auto-hide system tray
2.) The Volume button behaviour of WP 8.1
3.) The built in QR-Code Scanner and the implementation for searching music like spotify

Random DS

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
And Skype, and Viber, and Xbox. But sadly, the new Facebook beta broke the integration :/

Posted with the Windows Central app for Windows 10
on Lumia 535, spring money for an Elite x3

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Maybe, just maybe, this is occurring due to the fact that the Mobile version of the OS is now being aimed at the enterprise market? If I used them in the business world, which I actually do, what is left is all that's needed. All 14 devices run the bare basics. No third party apps, no twitface, don't need the fm radio as most car manufacturers supply them ;-) etc.

Kids corner I'm a bit miffed by though, although the store does now include age ratings for games etc. Again, this seems to be "clearing" out the junk for an enterprise environment. Good or bad? Who knows, but from my perspective, W10M is great as a business tool, and the RS builds are another step forward

AllanQuatermain

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
It's there, but not available on every device...

I have the 650, and 950XL just ordered arriving soon, have been with windows phone since day one staying to the end,as yet I can not find Double tap to unlock on 650, hope it arrives soon a very useful feature, still using 820/920 with this feature, any one know how to have text messages read aloud as it was easy to find in 8.1, any advice will be appreciated many thanks,

joeonsunset

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
But unfortunately telemetry data does not include the delight and smiles on peoples faces when they see their favourite moments and memories.

Perfectly put. Everytime they remove a delighter or unique feature, they use the 'underused' justification. But, if you design an OS that way, you will end up with the most boring experience ever. It is reasonable to focus resources on what people use and need the most, but, an OS is a design processs, which should be informed by metrics but also by art, smarts, and heart. (Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they laid off all of those things.)

Whodaboss

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Great subject! Where should I start? And I'm holding an HTC Radar 4G version 7X, Luma 830 version 8.X and a Lumia 950 in my hands right now doing a full comparison. Windows 10 doesn?t even measure up to the previous versions not by a long shot. Sure there are new things with WP10, but what has been removed has made it as a loser iteration. I miss the good ole days of OS updates. At least you had hope knowing each year you would or might get some significant updates. This notion that you can get updates quickly now is so incremental it doesn?t feel anything substantial is happening. But here are some of the things I miss from previous versions.
1 - Photo Hub
2 - Built-in OS Music & Video Zune
3 - Rooms
4 - METRO UI (Ellipsis based OS) without Hamburger menus
5 - Game Hub
6 - Wireless file transfer
7 - Groups (previous version much better) better content
8 - Travel App
9 - Email system (previous version better (IMO))
10 - ME App
11 - Marketplace - The Windows 10 version is bad.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I miss the removal of any feature that originally sold me on Windows Phones. And most are, in fact, gone. Social integration: gone. Me Tile: gone. Pivots: gone. Clean, beautiful app and UI experience: gone. Here suite of apps, including City Lens: gone. Performance: gone. Hubs: gone. Kids Corner: gone. FM radio: gone. My enthusiasm for the platform: gone.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
1.) Auto-hide system tray
2.) The Volume button behaviour of WP 8.1
3.) The built in QR-Code Scanner and the implementation for searching music like spotify

I can't believe I forgot to mention the volume control issue! I HATE that I have to spend half and hour adjusting flipping volumes when a simple press up or down on the volume control fixed it all. What you have to do now is just retarded.

I also can't believe I forgot to mention the built-in QR scanning AND TRANSLATION!!! I live on the Texas border w/Mexico and there are times I really found the ability to immediately translate some signage or document was very handy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786