Removed features: What do you miss the most?

gjgill

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
I miss Lumia Camera and FM Radio on my Nokia Lumia 830.
Yes there are replacements, but the original built-ins were great.
Oh yeah, the AccuWeather lock screen info was great too. Hope it is coming back.

mcmc08

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
1) OCR in the Bing Vision lens.
2) The feature in Quiet Hours that allows you to silence the phone when there is a calendar event marked "busy".

Keith Hooker

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
That setting is (or was, last time I checked which has been a while) under Cortana.

Thanks for pointing me to that. It annoys me that the "settings" apparently doesn't include many of the settings. How is that a Cortana specific setting? Anyway, it's working again, so thanks.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
What I miss the most is focus…
I.e. When Nokia/WP came with new/fun and intelligent things and when Microsoft apps was better on WP vs Android/iOS.

I went for the iPhone a couple of months ago and I will not go back to W10M as long as I do not gain anything (just lose).

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
  • Can hardware design be considered a feature? I miss the unibody designs. Those were just unique and so different from the curved corners. Now the new phones have curved corners; why?
  • Vivid colours for the covers -now only white and black are available, or dull colours. If you ever saw a colourful phone anywhere, you knew it was a lumia
  • Wrist strap slot -this is so useful and yet most phones don't have it

The thing is software features can be brought back with minimal effort. Hardware features on the other hand cannot be done. There's no insider program for hardware - where we can test different hardware designs and give feedback.

chinni subhash

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I miss
1. Double tap to wake up
2. smoothness of 8.1 and stability
3. Lumia panorama
4. Photosynth
5. Here maps. Right now maps is just total ****.
6. Photos app being very fast and not loading.
7. ability to turn off background tasks for apps. Its still there but doesn't work.

Last edited:

ibbbo

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I miss
1. Double tap to wake up
2. smoothness of 8.1 and stability
3. Lumia panorama
4. Photosynth
5. Here maps. Right now maps is just total ****.
6. Photos app being very fast and not loading.
7. ability to turn off background tasks for apps. Its still there but doesn't work.

+

8. Album/ Artist Art on Lock screen
9. integrated QR Scanner
10. Weather information on lock/ glance screen
11. 15sec preview on Glance screen

dthx

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I had high expectations for my Lumia 950XL, but since day one, I suffered from:
- The list of bugs I encountered in 8 months is longer than my arm...
- The inability to wake up the phone with a double-tap on the display is annoying (not a bug, a missing feature but one I was used to with my still wonderful Lumia 925).
- The disappearance and come-back of some camera features depending on the version...
- Pretty incompatible Bluetooth (address book not downloading to the car, needs reboot to communicate sometimes).
- The inability to offer stable operations, despite hard resets without restore of data/settings (sacrificed to make sure I don't re-introduce any mess).
Slow ring, fast ring, release... nothing helps. Once you turn the Access point feature on and then off, you know it's only a matter of time before the phone will eventually become slow/hot or reboot. The same goes for Bluetooth sometimes (better leave it on 100% of the time than trying to play with the switch)

These are unacceptable issues for a flagship phone with this price tag (now they are heavily discounted, but it wasn't for the early adopters). I could live with it in the first couple of weeks, I accept that a new OS needs a few updates to work reliably, but we are now 8 months later and this crap is still as unreliable as on day one (OK, new/different bugs but no improvement in the reliability in general). As soon as I find a poor victim to take over my L950XL, I'm done with WP10 and will get a Nexus 5x or similar thing that's worth the money.

AlainF2016

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
- FM Radio
- Kids Corner
- Voice recognition in French version (Canada)
- Search button (8.1) - Short press, go to Bing (8.1) and long press - voice recognition
- Also with voice recognition you had, Song recognition (8.1). No need to speak to Cortana
- Camera - no panorama picture

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
- FM Radio
- Kids Corner
- Voice recognition in French version (Canada)
- Search button (8.1) - Short press, go to Bing (8.1) and long press - voice recognition
- Also with voice recognition you had, Song recognition (8.1). No need to speak to Cortana
- Camera - no panorama picture

I knew Cortana and speech to text works well in French, it was one of main developed languages as far as English, Chinese, Jap, Spanish, German, Portoguese (and very very very last) Italian
Kids corner was removed, according to Microsoft, due to "too much unused to justify future developments"
For camera, did you tried 360 app ?

IsraelDuran

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Also something I just realized that's a daily frustration, when cortana searches it just uses the web browser to pull up stuff, so now things like the local section don't exist and it won't pull up a map for finding let's say restaurants in the area.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Also something I just realized that's a daily frustration, when cortana searches it just uses the web browser to pull up stuff, so now things like the local section don't exist and it won't pull up a map for finding let's say restaurants in the area.

My restaurant searching works. She undestand pizza, fast food, dinner, bar, chinese, jap food (Italy country)

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
- FM Radio

I do find it annoying that you can't go to the bing homepage. At some point, I guess they will rebrand Bing.com as Cortana.com and replace the backgrounds with a blue circle. At that point, I will probably go back to Google search entirely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12