Removed features: What do you miss the most?

offroad73

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Music player panoramas - rather than the totally unusable one-handed playing with an hamburger menu
Music search
QR reading
People hub
LinkedIn integration
Consistent metro experience - again, that worked great for one-handed manipulation

TheFerrango

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
solid black colours look childish to me , the grey like colours are the real deal for me and is a very good improvement. i would also like the brightness to be reduced even futher, so that at night i will not be blinded by me screen display. and thast part of what i like in IOS

you don't have an AMOLED display then. those grey backgrounds, despite being nicer than a solid black, are a drain on the battery

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I miss following features :
3. When was app updated last time &
4. List of app which have been recently updated in store.
These two are there on the Store app's Downloads and Updates page. You need the latest version of the Store app for them to be visible.

nedarata

May 5, 2015
Visit site
splash screen-less system apps
fb/twitter integration/ people hub
image review at camera app with simple slide
built in qr reader
almost instant store/onenote/office apps
square contact images
IE showed tabs at opened apps screen
metro look
fm radio (soon to be removed?)
better one hand use
video recording with stereo sound

basically ms just tries to kill all features that set them apart from competition
what is up with double tap to wake? did ms just remove that feature from some phones? i still have it

TheFerrango

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
These two are there on the Store app's Downloads and Updates page. You need the latest version of the Store app for them to be visible.

I think he means the date of when the last update was published, not when it was installed on your phone.
I'd also like version numbers to be back in the store

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I think he means the date of when the last update was published, not when it was installed on your phone.
I'd also like version numbers to be back in the store
Ohk. Version numbers are also there on the Downloads page; they indicate the latest version installed. But they should be on the apps' description page.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh how quickly people forget. Windows 10 is quite the improvement over 8.
People need to stop complaining because of a silly little people integration and an FM radio

For some reason you just cannot please Windows Phone users. Since gods knows when they have been complaining about the facebook app.

Facebook finally releases an official (but still in beta) app for Windows 10. Guess what? It's not good enough because people integration is gone. WHAT?! get over it!

If you miss Windows Phone 8/8.1 so much, buy an old lumia on ebay or amazon and use that. No one is forcing you to use Windows 10 Mobile.

I love Windows 10 over 8.1 despite the bugs here and there.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Oh how quickly people forget. Windows 10 is quite the improvement over 8.
People need to stop complaining because of a silly little people integration and an FM radio

For some reason you just cannot please Windows Phone users. Since gods knows when they have been complaining about the facebook app.

Facebook finally releases an official (but still in beta) app for Windows 10. Guess what? It's not good enough because people integration is gone. WHAT?! get over it!

If you miss Windows Phone 8/8.1 so much, buy an old lumia on ebay or amazon and use that. No one is forcing you to use Windows 10 Mobile.

I love Windows 10 over 8.1 despite the bugs here and there.

the issue in my opinion is that if you have to progress, why leave behind parts? We can understand if the part left behind is one that less than 1% used like wifi sense (sharing wifi details with contacts) but when features get left behind even though there are people who like it and use it, that does not make sense.

There is hope that given enough feedback, features can come back the same or stronger. Like for example, the MS news app had sorting by source feature, it got removed but now it's back in the latest update. That's how things should happen.

For those that don't know this: complaining here in the forums doesn't translate to feedback to MS. We have to give feedback in the app, upvote feedback and suggestions from others too for us to make a difference

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
the issue in my opinion is that if you have to progress, why leave behind parts? We can understand if the part left behind is one that less than 1% used like wifi sense (sharing wifi details with contacts) but when features get left behind even though there are people who like it and use it, that does not make sense.

There is hope that given enough feedback, features can come back the same or stronger. Like for example, the MS news app had sorting by source feature, it got removed but now it's back in the latest update. That's how things should happen.

For those that don't know this: complaining here in the forums doesn't translate to feedback to MS. We have to give feedback in the app, upvote feedback and suggestions from others too for us to make a difference

I think we need to start share our feedbacks here to let easily other people to upvote. The problem with is that alot of nice feedbacks on Feedback Hub doesn't get noticed often simply because of posting on the wrong time where people don't actively scan new feedbacks. Good luck when the feedback is old enough that most likely it will be unnoticed forever, no matter how awesome the idea is or important the feedback issue is.

Feedback Hub is still bad in terms of recoverability of feedback post. It's became a chore and a luck to find and gets the feedback upvoted. This is why sadly, spamming same feedbacks over and over became a norm just to get heard enough.

So if any of you guys miss a feature that is worthy to bring back, please post a link here of your feedbacks. This is seems the only effective way for Microsoft to even realize things they often overlooked.

I'll start with some of my feedback post:

Swipe from the right to quickly switch apps like from Win 8.X
feedback-hub:?contextid=214&feedbackid=cf064622-6e2a-4e78-97c0-c652918aad1a&form=1&src=2

Refine Option similar to Windows 8.1 All Apps
feedback-hub:?contextid=203&feedbackid=61ac92bb-6119-4676-9bca-db7fbe6e7a6d&form=1&src=2

OneDrive Placeholder
feedback-hub:?contextid=148&feedbackid=a4976121-4049-44c3-ba82-c9308ef1a80c&form=1&src=2

Tab syncing from IE Metro
feedback-hub:?contextid=351&feedbackid=c716b6a3-9bf1-45d1-b70d-3086ae574463&form=1&src=2

Cheers!

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

And there are people who don't like it and don't use it. You cannot make everyone happy. Me for example. I care not for people integration or me tile or FM radio.

Sometimes you have to cut your "losses" and move on.

You can upvote as much as you want in feedback hub. But there are certain things that Microsoft is just not going to bring back.

Save your breaths, suck it up and move on.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Oh I forgot to mention the good old health and fitness and food & drink. They were very helpful

On the phone and on the tablet. Food & Drink, Travel and Health & Fitness were wonderfully made apps that got killed for no reason with no alternatives. Great plan there, MS.

I've never seen a company suck the fun and joy out of a platform as fast as MS has done with WP.

ibbbo

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I agree, that sometimes you need to pass something, but I start wondering how long we could pass...

For example Here Drive - why MSFT forced us to stop using it in newer versions of W10M? Okay, I understand this is not their property anymore, they won't support it anymore and so on. But why they stop/ remove the apps at all and forced us to use another products - is it not possible just to stop development and updating it, but to be still available for using??? May be MSFT Maps is good, too, but it misses something critical for me (and not only) - there is no way to set a Voice guidance (and most important in your language) - you are forced to listen the EN voice of Cortana (or I should say Robotana).

Another example is for the Glance screen - there was option to use background - it's missing now; there was an option to seek for 15 sec - it's gone now.... How much cost to keep this additional option of 15sec?! If I check the time and notification hundred times every day....

Last but not least - 2 tap to wake is gone from the last generation of Lumia, and from the new W10M at all - are you kidding me?! Such an important and useful function (in android it was introduced from Kit Kat and still existing as far as I know) here is removed?!

Niavlys77

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
- App bar/ellipses menu swipe up from both left and right side (seriously, why the eff did they change this in WP10!?!?)
- Zune (for the UI, stability, and polish)
- Photo Hub (UI)
- Camera app's swipe left to view photos (miss this so much!)
- Rooms (GroupMe is NOT a viable alternative.. it's terrible in comparison)

I know there's a lot more I can add, but can't think of any at the moment. WP10 has some nice improvements.. but they just love to remove great things!

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
did flip to silence actually work? I tried it on my 1020 when it was on 8.1 and it didn't work the first few times

I did not have 'flip to silence ' on 8.1,had only double tap to wake up.After last update for touch settings on W10 ,flip to silence is working in my 535DS. Double tap to wake up has always been there both on 8.1 and 10.

Demian Mioc

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Thank you all for your contribution to this topic. I think we can all agree, well, almost all :) that with upgrading to Windows 10 mobile we lost features that we care about and love, making our experience on this platform unique compared to others. I'm well aware that there are workarounds for apps missing and as well some features. Apps like FM, Health & Fitnes, Travel and Food, Gestures and so on will surely be missed, especially because there are no real alternatives to them. Sure Tunein and 3rd party FM can somewhat replace FM, but the experience is not great as it was on default apps.
Maybe one day we will see features like tap to wake on last gen devices and even stuff from Gestures beta, as we recently got swipe left/right in Edge. Hamburger menu, really bad implementation in it's current state could be fixed by adding system wide swipe option that's been included in marvelous apps like Groove and Windows central.

Loosing features due to upgrade is unprecedented, and have never seen that on other platforms, correct me if I'm wrong.

Let's not be ungrateful though, we got some really great features in Windows 10 mobile and as Insiders we got a sneak peak into birth of an OS, along with option to give feedback. We as insiders and feedback providers have power to influence development to a certain extent, like in OneDrive example. Give feedback or upvote existing so we can, hopefully, get stuff we miss back!

P.S. What I really miss the most is theme color sync between phone and PC and vibrant color phone cases in x50 generation. With same color palettes on both operating systems it should be easy thing to do with a toggle option in settings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss