W10M Insider Preview 14367 Discussion (Redstone Branch, Inactive)

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Here's some more stuff:

Improvements:

*Iris scanning: seems to be more consistent and quicker. Previous build it would fail at times and required me to enter pin.

Issues:

*Hey Cortana just stops working at times till I reboot the phone.

Funny, I was thinking iris scanning seemed a bit slower and more finicky than other builds on my 950. I also have Hey Cortana not work sometimes. I've found that if I manually start Cortana, then go back later using Hey Cortana, it works.

Rican914

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Try the simplest first. Restart, soft reset and lastly after backing up your phone, hard reset if needed. Also have 950 xl DS and have no major issues.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I see pretty much the same thing in our vehicles with both of our devices. Also, the Song Title is shown most of the time, but often just says "Unknown" and we NEVER get the Artist Name...only the Album Title (which I don't care about). When it comes to iHeartRadio, Pandora and other music apps, we almost never see Song Title even transmitting to our vehicles via BT. BT is basically a shambles in W10M.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't even use the iris scanner. It almost never works, regardless of the COUNTLESS times I've gone through the process to train it. It was a stupid idea for a phone in the first place. They should have gone with fingerprint scanners. With fingerprint scanners you get the benefit of biometric login without being distracted. You can unlock it safely while driving using a fingerprint scanner---you certainly CAN'T do that with the idiotic iris scanner.

Will Gilliland

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Bluetooth connectivity issues... When I connect my 950XL to my vehicles head unit (Subaru) the music plays normal all controls work.
I have a Subaru Legacy 2016 and the Bluetooth in that vehicle is the worst. It's a very nice car with incredibly intelligent iSight features but the Bluetooth disconnect voice calls constantly with my Samsung Galaxy S4, Lumia 640 and Lumia 950 XL DS.

However, with this build the normally stable earpiece Bluetooth (Blueant Wireless Q3) will lose audio. It's still connected, I just can't hear anything.

Racxie

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
My phone updated to this build last night and I' now having the same issue as some others with certain apps crashing when I try to open them such as Messenger, Edge, Nextgen Reader, and Skype (Windows Central still works lol), although I'm still getting notifications come through for them. Paper Boy will open on the splash screen before getting stuck/crashing.

Updated from the last Fast Ring build and am on an unlocked 950 XL in the UK. Have tried soft reset with no luck (will not hard reset my phone due to having some delisted games I need to complete first). Had no problem downloading app updates

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
My phone updated to this build last night and I' now having the same issue as some others with certain apps crashing when I try to open them such as Messenger, Edge, Nextgen Reader, and Skype (Windows Central still works lol), although I'm still getting notifications come through for them. Paper Boy will open on the splash screen before getting stuck/crashing.

Updated from the last Fast Ring build and am on an unlocked 950 XL in the UK. Have tried soft reset with no luck (will not hard reset my phone due to having some delisted games I need to complete first). Had no problem downloading app updates

Are you pretty sure you don't got any pending core app update?
Try removing, checking on notebook sd reader and re-inserting SD card

Murali Gopal1

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
On my Lumia 950, everytime I press the Call button, the screen powers off and doesn't come back on. It works once in a while the way it is supposed to but most times it doesn't. I have to use the Power button just to end the call. The other issue I am facing is that Living Images is not working on my phone despite selecting the option in settings. I am on the 14367 build by the way. But experienced these problems in the earlier builds too.

I was wondering if others too are having this problem or am I the only one experiencing it?

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I turned off the iris scanner as most of the time it was quicker to enter a pin, though I will happily turn it back on if we can ever make payments using it as the means of authentication. I have several apps that work for a bit, then crash back to the start screen, Amazon is definitely one of them, but I think it affects others as well, just can't think which ones at the moment. Sometimes the lock-screen is unresponsive, not sure if this is the unlock button or a software issue, though I think it's software. Overall not a bad release, most things work most of the time... Lumia 950.

bpsmicro

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Interesting gltches new to this build:

1. When traveling from my house to anywhere, there's a short stretch where cellular connectivity drops very low, or even zero. Most of the time, a bit further down the road it sees the next tower and all is well. But sometimes (like, more than 50% of the time with this build), if the cell signal drops to zero, I get the ghostbusters symbol for cell strength, and it never comes back. Just totally ignores all towers. Toggling airplane mode resets that.

2. Cortana on bluetooth is working much better with this build. Even mostly reads incoming texts again on my car (Dodge uConnect) system. But with this build, something I've never seen before, I can turn off & exit the vehicle, and the phone seems to not notice the bluetooth has gone away. Still thinks it's connected. That, of course, means no alert tones. And the volume buttons want to alter the bluetooth volume. If I go into the bluetooth settings, it seems to be hung. Only a power cycle reset fixes this one.

3. Lock screen icons (and also in Glance) don't update reliably to show incoming e-mail, texts, etc. Sometimes they do, most of the time they don't.

On the plus side, live tiles from apps that weren't working before (eg. Data Counter) have started working again. Most of my standard apps are functional, Cortana works.

girish_19

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi, in my Lumia 730, build 14367, photos app has set as background/lockscreen options . But they are'nt working. When I try to set as lockscrenen/bg , pop up says "this photo cant be set as lockscreen". Same issue for all the photos even after hard reset. Pls reply even if u are same issue, and workaround. Thanks.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't even use the iris scanner. It almost never works, regardless of the COUNTLESS times I've gone through the process to train it. It was a stupid idea for a phone in the first place. They should have gone with fingerprint scanners. With fingerprint scanners you get the benefit of biometric login without being distracted. You can unlock it safely while driving using a fingerprint scanner---you certainly CAN'T do that with the idiotic iris scanner.

It seems to be one of those things where it works great for some and not for others. Mine works from quite a distance and at diff angles. I'll be at stores and just look down slightly and it opens up. I have done insane optimizations in different lighting and angles using the green line that scans as an indicator of how far i can be and adjusting by tiny increments to keep the line green if it goes yellow. But it's actually a safer and better tech. In my car it works fine from my mount but problem is there's no double tap to wake so only way to wake it is hey cortana. It used to ask for iris scan with hey cortana the secret was to wait a bit to let it get into scanning mode. This way the IR is activated then all I had to do is look quickly and it unlocked. The longest part is activating the IR light.

This is the future of biometric tech and only way to have really secure phones that can be used for many things from passport to payments. The ones we have here at our airport are really expensive and work instantly and super fast. The tech in the 950xl is very early implementation. Samsungs new note will have a better implementation. And as the tech becomes more and more popular it will become faster and easier than fingerprint readers. My iphone 6 constantly fails touchid. My friends iphone 6s does the same. Don't think that it's something that works every time, because it doesn't.

Edit: I should mention I'm writing up a feature request for MS for implementation of something like "security zones". This would be perfect for phones like the HP elite X3 that come with both a finger print reader and an iris scanner. The idea is that you would use the finger print reader for things like unlocking phone or simple stuff. Then you could create a business zone or whatever you want to call it. You will assign things like wifi connections, wallet, in-store payments, business apps, encrypted business files to this zone and apply the iris module. This would require more security for anything within this zone.

I think MS and HP have an opportunity to really redefine security.

Last edited:

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
So far, my biggest issue with this build is that Cortana will intermittently stop reading messages. I have to go into settings, turn the feature off, then on again. Other than that, the build seems pretty stable. 950 XL US DS.

BB_Nicky86

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I just updated to build 14367.0

Lumia 950XL - Dual Sim - using two sims

I cannot access Mobile & Sim at all, the entire phone locks up until settings crashes and it goes home. If i use the mobile data icon in Notification center the entire phone locks up completely and i have to soft reset or pull the battery.

I cannot use mobile data at all, my mobile data is used from SIM 1 not 2

For quick actions
- Bluetooth is missing, reboots have not restored it

WiFi
- Terrible now, takes forever to find networks and connect to them

Bluetooth
- all paired devices are completely gone now, i can turn Bluetooth on and off from settings but not quick actions as it's missing

I've only been on this build for a whopping 20 minutes and it's terrible as a whole. I would not recommend this update to anyone. I'd provide feedback but i can't seem to find a wifi network to connect to and i can't check my mobile data settings without crashing my phone.

Up to this point, MS has been fantastic, this update is a joke

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I just updated to build 14367.0

Lumia 950XL - Dual Sim - using two sims

I cannot access Mobile & Sim at all, the entire phone locks up until settings crashes and it goes home. If i use the mobile data icon in Notification center the entire phone locks up completely and i have to soft reset or pull the battery.

I cannot use mobile data at all, my mobile data is used from SIM 1 not 2

For quick actions
- Bluetooth is missing, reboots have not restored it

WiFi
- Terrible now, takes forever to find networks and connect to them

Bluetooth
- all paired devices are completely gone now, i can turn Bluetooth on and off from settings but not quick actions as it's missing

I've only been on this build for a whopping 20 minutes and it's terrible as a whole. I would not recommend this update to anyone. I'd provide feedback but i can't seem to find a wifi network to connect to and i can't check my mobile data settings without crashing my phone.

Up to this point, MS has been fantastic, this update is a joke

Keep phone wifi and charger plugged 2 days, and read all dual sims know iussues in offcial blogs. Your phone needs caching and core apps updating. That's incredible in 2016 someone assumes a phone as soon as updates itself it's full of its features.
As droid, iOstuffs and pcs, not. Wait a little, it depens on your device and connection power.
That's a terminal, not a washing machine...
Last build is the faster ever made

nwnjjim

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Updated my L950 from Production Release, looked like it was ready for a daily driver. Updated smoothly and without errors. No hard or soft resets. Waited overnight for everything else to load, update and settle down. All apps work properly, battery life is great, no app or Phone freezes, and no restore. Buttery smooth and fast. As good as Production Release and that was hard to leave, it was flawless.

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
New build 14371 just installed. Store live tile seems to be back (for me at least). More observations later. For now, install was quick and smooth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb