W10M Insider Preview 14383 Discussion (Redstone Branch, Inactive)

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

Vasrias

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: W10M Insider Preview 14383 Discussion (Redstone Branch, Fast Ring)

Is the FW update only for certain models?
Is the FW update a separate update?
Thanks. Peace. Alan

MS Lumia ICON 929 [Win10 M Insider Preview, Redstone 14383.0]

Yes, only L950 and L950XL and yes, it's a separate update.

To all with battery issues: Have you already the new firmware installed (01078.00053.16236.35xxx) and/or did recharging your phone resolve the issue?

I just want to find out a connection or solution to that problem. I have the latest fw and no battery issues.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site

After upgrading to this build my phone got really hot, even after reboots. Had to power off the phone. Also random stuff, like super long vibration, Cortana response times and speech recognition (same as always). Auto brightness adjustment not behaving like normal, it flashes bright then dims. Seems to be better now after cold boot.

No new firmware atm. Even checked WDRT. Still rolling out i think.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

The release does refer to the 950, and 950XL, specifically (and roll-out is by Region), so it may be a while for a lot of us, based on model and Region:(

Check here for the write up: Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL getting double-tap to wake, WiFi fixes in new firmware | Windows Central

Thanks, mtf1380. I'm on a ICON 929 so who knows when, if ever
Peace. Alan

Rvacha

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site

Lumia 950xl here, on 14383, battery drains like 20-25% per hour. Been like since the update. Restarted, soft reset multiple times. But no improvement. Suggest a hard reset?? I never had any problems before with the insider builds.

I had the same issue and same 20-25% battery drain. Soft reset did not fix it, but for some reason simple power cycling did the trick. Not the fist time I've had a power cycle fix things soft reset couldn't. Right now I'm at 84% after 18 hours with light usage - I'm happy with that

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

I had the same issue and same 20-25% battery drain. Soft reset did not fix it, but for some reason simple power cycling did the trick.
Nice! Glad to see that a simpler solution resolved the issue for you. :) Unfortunately, I have tried a graceful reboot (Power button - then swipe down and wait until fully powered off) and a forced reboot (Hold power+volume down until the phone vibrates as it restarts itself).

I'm hoping that draining my battery completely will reset whatever is causing the phone to kill the battery. It'll be another hour or so before the battery is fully discharged for me to test this theory, however.

EDIT: I even went so far as to remove the battery from the phone to encourage the entire device to cool down before powering it back on.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

I had the same issue and same 20-25% battery drain. Soft reset did not fix it, but for some reason simple power cycling did the trick. Not the fist time I've had a power cycle fix things soft reset couldn't. Right now I'm at 84% after 18 hours with light usage - I'm happy with that
I guess it would be best to turn off the battery saver mode to do the power cycling...yes?
Thanks.

Peace.

Last edited:

Rvacha

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site

No battery saver. What I meant is press & hold power button, swipe down to turn off

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

For those with battery problems, I ran into that twice on my 930 (albeit on earlier builds). The first time I did a hard reset which fixed the problem. The second time I noticed it happened after updating Microsoft health app, so I uninstalled it and also turned off motion data (and NFC for good measure), since then battery life has been good.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

No battery saver. What I meant is press & hold power button, swipe down to turn off
OH!!! I thought you meant to let the phone on until the battery is totally dead and then charge it fully before using it.
Thanks.

Peace.

Last edited:

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

OH!!! I thought you meant to let the phone on until the battery is totally dead and then charge it fully before using it.
Thanks.

Peace.

OMG..
In the real world, that's called "Turning off phone" -_-

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

OMG..
In the real world, that's called "Turning off phone" -_-
Where's my brain? I know I had it this morning when I went to the Aquarium Shop.
I used to work on Ni-Cad Aircraft batteries. I had to disassemble all the cells, discharge each cell (individually) to 0v then reassemble all the cells in the battery Case and charge the whole battery up (all the cells) at one time.
I just thought that's what they we're talking about. Git the battery DEAD and then Charge it all the way up. Where's my brain? I need a nap.

Peace

Last edited:

Tendlya

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

You aren't alone. My Lumia 950 XL does the same thing.

This is the first insider build to cause my 950 XL to misbehave at all. The phone gets quite hot to the touch and is burning through its battery as if background apps are running full-tilt all of the time.

I took the phone off the charger at 8:18am this morning and, at 9:47am, I checked the battery and it was down to 67%. 33% lost in just about 1.5 hours?! Wow.

Part of me wonders if this apparent change in behavior is due to the missing firmware update.

With all of that said, I do recognize that this is the risk I take with running the Insider Fast builds. You roll the dice and then you win some and lose some. :)

True, but when we are this close to RTM and I get this battery drain issue is little disappointing. I expected a better build. Now, I probably need to hard reset this thing. Losing all the apps, including Amazon I guess.

Tendlya

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

Lucky for you. It went through the power recycle. It drained the battery entirely and shutdown by itself. But after the restart, it is still the same. I used to laugh at IPhones on chargers all the time. Today is my turn. :)

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Apps Corner still does not work properly in this build.
Still cannot pin the Apps Corner to start screen.
never mind that the layout doesn't stick.
hope this build is not a candidate for being the Anniversary Update for Mobile.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

I took the plunge with this build on my Icon so far so good. I'll see how the battery life is over the weekend. Though I'm having an issue with Gadgets app. It finds the devices and when I tap on them the app goes back to add a device. Any other Icon users having the same problem?

I've done a factory reset via the Windows Device Recovery tool and upgraded from 8.1 to this build.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site

I have a 950XL running the old firmware but the latest build. I hard reset a couple of builds ago because my wallet app was misbehaving, and was relatively careful when reinstalling everything. All of that out of the way, I don't think I've ever seen battery life this good on my phone. I took it off the charger this morning at around 8:30 and at 3:15 I have 75% left. I've played about an hour of music via Bluetooth, taken several slo-mo videos, and general usage. The phone has been cool as ice and I'm frankly amazed-- it's finally living up to the potential of that massive battery.

To all those with large battery drains: when was the last time you hard reset? I always hate to suggest that, but one data point (me) says it can help.

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site

NOT fixed in this build:

- WiFi disconnects
- Dead Outlook live tiles

Other than that, it works smooth.

Dano91

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site

It's quite funny to say, after reading so many responses about high battery usage on this build, that on my L650 DS I never saw such a good battery life! To be more specific, it seems that standby usage has been greatly improved.

On the other hand, I still have issues with Glance screen, which cannot be turn off separately when charging, since the option has been removed.
But what is even worse, clock on a glance is not moving across the display which can potentially cause burn in, especially on OLED screens. For this reason I cannot use glance with "always on" option.

Other than that I see only a problem with MS Health app which is causing high background battery drain, but fortunately that can be solved by not allowing it to run on background.
Plus I have never ending problem with GPS causing issues with background tracking, but that is a very specific problem and probably more related to a firmware than OS..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05