Windows 10 Mobile build 14915 Discussion (Redstone 2; Inactive)

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Mobile build 14915 Discussion (Redstone 2; Fast Ring)

Thank you Microsoft! You have managed to f**k up my phone!

I did hard reset couple of weeks ago and restored settings, Everything was working fine. I have Lumia 930....

Now today I installed the new build: 10.0.14915.1000. And Now for the fist time ever! The phone is stuck somehow! I mean the phone gets super hot! It won't charge properly (well the charger can barely keep it alive and give a little juice). I have done soft reset (power + volume down) multiple times no help. Something is always stuck right from the start and it eats all the processing power and battery... I can't even turn the damn thing off! It just stays on goodbye forever! All i can do is do another soft reset and it starts to get hot again!

Now I need to try to get it charged enough so i can do hard reset... maybe that will help, maybe not... I think I need to use the "windows device recovery tool" for this.

Unbelievable! I have been on insider fast ring from the start of Windows 10 Mobile, and even before! And there has never ever been anything like this.

This makes me so angry I start to seriously think of switching to Android (even though I hate Android in general)

You're so angry that you chose to use pretty much untested alpha/beta software on your phone you mean. It was your decision and you should know the risks, Microsoft make it very clear that these builds are not for the general public, because there will likely be issues (sometimes big issues). Are you seriously surprised? I have issues too with my phone from time to time too, and I don't like it sometimes, but I know the risks of using pre-release software, and I choose to take that risk. It's no one else's fault other than my own if it all goes t1ts up.

Go back to the official AU release of Win10M, and do not sign up for the insider program if you want a more stable outcome.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

So far I am really liking this build. Cortana is back. I initially had problems with her picking up my voice over BT in the car but after deleting and re-pairing the connection, all was good. The only "bug" I'm having right now is sometimes the screen goes black when I try to wake up the device. Holding down the power button seems to wake the screen up. 950 XL DS US.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

I have had a look at this before but I still don't have this option ! I hope i get this update soon ! Can't understand though why i have not got it especially as i have the 14915 update installed ?

You'll have to WDRT it or wait for over the air. One snag with WDRT is that phone rolls back to last stable release.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

I guess you realise this is a beta software? I guess you didn't read the Mi flashing tutorial? Have you reset the device? PS, when released, this will be the next manor update...

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site

Having problems with BBM again on this build (last few builds of Redstone 1 it was working pretty good). Slow opening and crashing.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

Now today I installed the new build: 10.0.14915.1000. And Now for the fist time ever! The phone is stuck somehow! I mean the phone gets super hot! It won't charge properly (well the charger can barely keep it alive and give a little juice). I have done soft reset (power + volume down) multiple times no help. Something is always stuck right from the start and it eats all the processing power and battery... I can't even turn the damn thing off! It just stays on goodbye forever! All i can do is do another soft reset and it starts to get hot again!

Now I need to try to get it charged enough so i can do hard reset... maybe that will help, maybe not... I think I need to use the "windows device recovery tool" for this.

Marko,

Sorry about your troubles.

The phone usually runs hot during an update, this is pretty normal. And, it does take a while (in most cases) to settle, and cool back down - and, can very easily, take a day, or two, to act like something.

I don't pretend to know about your 930 issues; but, you could have interfered with the update, and settle, process - this go round - and may need to take a more aggressive action to fix the issue...but, with these fast rings; it is usually a day or two, before a verdict is clear. I believe I would give the phone a day, or so, to try and correct its self before doing anything more aggressive.

I am not being patronizing, I just been in your boat.

Good luck!

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

I admire people got still patience with people unable using google before doing anything else...
I'm a old school pc HW repairer, and when things are messing up I learned spending hours looking for.
New generations prefer all ready, all clear.... bah! :(
Long live to developers and repaires

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Coming back to lagdroid. I will wait a new "major" version to come back to w10m.
i am very sad about it, i bought mi4 for w10m...
Now i have to use android and i could take a mi5 at this point...

Your avatar = Full respect

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

If I use a 3rd Party, Phone Dialer App (have tried three different ones), it causes the Call Recorder to disappear as an option. It usually takes the uninstalling of the Phone Dialer App, and about 2 or 3 soft reset to get the Voice Recorder option back in Setting>Phone>Default apps>Choose apps>Choose the app you want to use to manage recorded phone calls.

Anyone else been having this issue?

950XL, DS, USA, Builds: 14393.xx, 14905, 14915

Reported to Feedback

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site

I just replied to a gmail email from my 950XL DS using the Outlook Mail app. The reply did not show up as a threaded message with the original email, nor does it show in sent mail (even after syncing). Basically, there is no sign on the phone that the reply ever happened. But it did, as I can see it in gmail on my PC.

Last edited:

Marko Lainio

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

You're so angry that you chose to use pretty much untested alpha/beta software on your phone you mean. It was your decision and you should know the risks, Microsoft make it very clear that these builds are not for the general public, because there will likely be issues (sometimes big issues). Are you seriously surprised? I have issues too with my phone from time to time too, and I don't like it sometimes, but I know the risks of using pre-release software, and I choose to take that risk. It's no one else's fault other than my own if it all goes t1ts up.

Go back to the official AU release of Win10M, and do not sign up for the insider program if you want a more stable outcome.
OK, I may have slightly overreacted :D. I think i just had a bad day, and phone eating all the battery like that when I would have needed my phone on the go was just too much :(

Before I left home, I disabled WLAN and bluetooth, did soft restart and let the phone be. I didn't enter SIM Pin code or unlock the phone.

When I got back home couple hours later the phone was 100% charged and cool. Then I turned on wifi and cellular and it seems to work now.

To be honest, I don't get this angry usually, I think it was just really bad timing. I know i'm in insider fast, and I probably should move to Insider Slow instead. But it's still shame that this kind of new bugs/whatever come up in the builds. The previous build was working just fine and the changes to this build didn't seem (well MS probably doesn't give us full changelog anyway) that big, but somehow something got messed up :(

Anyway, yeah. sorry about the earlier post, i just was really angry with it... From time to time it really is challenging to be one of the few Windows Phone users left. (really, most of my friends have moved away from Windows Phones :( ) But I still love Windows 10 Mobile when

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Thank you Microsoft! You have managed to f**k up my phone!

I did hard reset couple of weeks ago and restored settings, Everything was working fine. I have Lumia 930....

Unbelievable! I have been on insider fast ring from the start of Windows 10 Mobile, and even before! And there has never ever been anything like this.

This makes me so angry I start to seriously think of switching to Android (even though I hate Android in general)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go back to the very first post of this thread and read it!

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

Anyone else having screen issues with this build? I've lost brightness control and the screen goes dark and sometimes black. Reboot is the only fix I've found. 950 XL DS US.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Just installed on my 950xl single sim. D/L and install went perfectly. I was expecting some issues after reading this, but it went very well. Dare I say it, but my device had NO heat issues at all. It's warmer posting this!

I've not come across any deal breaking issues ( for me anyway ), although one I have found is odd. In Cortana home page, if I select reminders lightbulb, it crashes back to start screen. If I use Cortana search bar with text, or I tell her, it works fine!! If that's the only gripe I have found so far, I'm happy! Now watch what happens...... ;-)

My new fave gizmo? Coloured glance screen! Hell yeah!! Now have a Kawasaki colour scheme glance screen. Black and Green. Coool. The Red and Black is very black Sabbath!

Lastly, my Blaze now sync's in seconds, rather than 90 seconds, as has been the case since TH through RS1.

Overall, it isn't to bad for me. Then again, no two devices are the same, in regards of software / apps etc, so we will all have different experiences, and therein lies the issue of all things tech. We are all different, we all have different experiences, and having been with the insider program for a while, OS wide issues do occur, but the niggly issues we personally experience, are down to the fact we are all using differently configured devices.

Long live the insider breed!

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

Anyone else having screen issues with this build? I've lost brightness control and the screen goes dark and sometimes black. Reboot is the only fix I've found. 950 XL DS US.

I read that MS is working on a feature were Redstone 2 will automatically change the tone and color of your screen depending on your current lighting environment, or time. Do you think it is possible you are seeing some of effects of this development, and we all may see some of these effects on future builds, as it progresses?

Microsoft bringing new 'People Bar' and night mode features to Windows 10 Redstone 2 | Windows Central

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

I read that MS is working on a feature were Redstone 2 will automatically change the tone and color of your screen depending on your current lighting environment, or time. Do you think it is possible you are seeing some of effects of this development, and we all may see some of these effects on future builds, as it progresses?

Microsoft bringing new 'People Bar' and night mode features to Windows 10 Redstone 2 | Windows Central

It's possible but I had this same error during the early builds of RS1. When I try to wake the device up, the screen is black. With Iris scan enabled, the screen does turn on when it tries to scan me or if I hold down the power button. I had this exact issue early on with RS1.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

It's possible but I had this same error during the early builds of RS1. When I try to wake the device up, the screen is black. With Iris scan enabled, the screen does turn on when it tries to scan me or if I hold down the power button. I had this exact issue early on with RS1.

I don't bother with the iris scanner anymore, it's just quicker to actually punch in the pin (for me at least). I also saw the issue previously though where the iris scanner seemed to come on at the wrong time and the screen was black.

I also now have the brightness issue, though not as bad as you it would seem. My screen goes darker unexpectedly on this new build, but not so much that I can't see the screen, simply locking the screen, then unlocking it brings it back to the proper brightness. I haven't needed to reboot to clear this... yet.

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site

...and the screen goes dark and sometimes black. Reboot is the only fix I've found. 950 XL DS US.

Same here. Noticed it first time in the previous snapshot. 950XL Norway. I do a soft reset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb