Windows 10 Mobile build 14977 Discussion (Redstone 2; Fast Ring)

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
HELP - this build on my Lumia 950 is bordering on un-usable. I cant play music, it is stuttery, starts and stops when it wants. It crashes all of the time, at the most in-opportune times, and its generally driving me crazy - almost as crazy as i was back in the day when i gave up on Android and switched to WP. All i want to do is plug into my Surface, go through Device Recovery, and flash the latest release build, and establish some sort of normalty, and of course, my device is not detected. Ive tried it on other PC's, still not discovered. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to Hard Reset, but im not quite sure what happens when you hard reset a Insider Fast build. Does it just re-install the fast build, or does it revert back to factory? Please help - Thanks!!!
see if your questions can be answered here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12379/windows-10-mobile-device-recovery-tool-faq

Rubenidas

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
My WhatsApp has suddenly stopped working. The app refuses to open.
Did a soft reset. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Downloaded whatspp beta also. Did a hard reset too.
Still the app refuses to open.

Any one else facing this or is there any solution, Using Lumia 930. On latest Insider Fast Ring Build.

I got the exact same problem! and it happens to several apps so far.. it just sits on the "loading" screen... never opens. I already did a full reset and nothing helps. I guess we have to wait till next build to see if it gets fixed.

Rubenidas

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
YouTube can't work on this build

True. I have not been able to play any youtube videos or even use youtube client apps like tubecast and metrotube. The worst thing is that I cant even play videos using Cortana search (bing video). It is horrible... but I will wait till the next build to see if that is fixed.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
True. I have not been able to play any youtube videos or even use youtube client apps like tubecast and metrotube. The worst thing is that I cant even play videos using Cortana search (bing video). It is horrible... but I will wait till the next build to see if that is fixed.

I found Movies and TV missing and many videos would not play.....

I have just tried it I cannot go to Google, but YouTube will play, odd.

I have have difficulty setting up email on this build, a couple of times I would have to try and set up G-mail two or three times, rebooting did help I think on one occasion.

Other than the irregular behavior of the web browser because of its distaste for all things Google, this build has shown promise.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Other than the irregular behavior of the web browser because of its distaste for all things Google, this build has shown promise.
For me the camera app, the photos app, Edge, and WhatsApp are a disaster in this build. WhatsApp use can make the phone reboot, Photos app can make the phone reboot. Edge shows blank pages after loading, and as mentioned before started refusing to load google.com at some point.

Aside from that, the battery life is BAD. Yesterday I had my 950XL on battery saver all day. Watched an hour of video in the Movies and TV app at medium brightness, did a little browsing, took a couple of pictures. Started at 99% at 10 am, ran out of battery at 6pm.

For me, terrible build all around.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I jumped into the Fast ring yesterday after many months on my 950XL and 2 things struck me, using it a day
1. Almost no new features or changes in the OS compared to RS1. There are some changes in the settings app, but can't find much else
2. This is the most reliable fast ring build I have seen. The phone runs noticeably cooler, I haven't encountered any bugs (yet) and battery is much better than the RS1 production builds.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I jumped into the Fast ring yesterday after many months on my 950XL and 2 things struck me, using it a day
1. Almost no new features or changes in the OS compared to RS1. There are some changes in the settings app, but can't find much else
2. This is the most reliable fast ring build I have seen. The phone runs noticeably cooler, I haven't encountered any bugs (yet) and battery is much better than the RS1 production builds.

The screen shuts off in Continuum

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Give it time.. :D

Actually 5 days in, I am pleasantly surprised by this build. Only one bug I could find, emails are not being pushed, in spite of the frequency being set to "As they arrive", I have reported this in the feedback hub.

I love the fact that my phone is so cool to the touch most of the time. With RS1, it was always a little warm.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
For me the camera app, the photos app, Edge, and WhatsApp are a disaster in this build. WhatsApp use can make the phone reboot, Photos app can make the phone reboot. Edge shows blank pages after loading, and as mentioned before started refusing to load google.com at some point.

Aside from that, the battery life is BAD. Yesterday I had my 950XL on battery saver all day. Watched an hour of video in the Movies and TV app at medium brightness, did a little browsing, took a couple of pictures. Started at 99% at 10 am, ran out of battery at 6pm.

For me, terrible build all around.

Same here on my HP Elite x3. Outlook doesn't load some emails and Groove music can sometimes make the whole phone freeze. No reboots though, but I need to power cycle the phone sometimes in order to start using it again. I also have a lot of apps crashing when scrolling through content. For example, Tweetium, Newsflow, Groove Music and Outlook Agenda.

The battery seems really fine though on the x3. My 950 just TANKED though by unlocking the screen, haha.

Anyway, rolling back the x3 and using the 950 to give feedback.

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Well, I bought a Nexus 6P over the holidays and am trying that out for a while as my daily driver. Not getting rid of my 950XL, though. I will stay on the Fast Ring and see what the new builds bring to that platform.

First observation on Android: the Outlook app is OK, but you can't edit calendar entries unless they were made on the phone and you can't snooze calendar reminders. Also, you can't set recurrences for appointments using the app.

...and I miss Live Tiles (even though they never worked perfectly for me). Widgets are no substitute.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
First observation on Android: the Outlook app is OK, but you can't edit calendar entries unless they were made on the phone and you can't snooze calendar reminders. Also, you can't set recurrences for appointments using the app.
That's the kind of thing you don't know in advance when switching. For all the glitches and crashes with WP10, I'm 100% certain that there would be plenty of annoyances to be had on either iOS or Android. No such thing as a perfect mobile device just yet! Not rebooting after taking a picture would be pretty sweet though..

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So by now we've gone for seven weeks on this crashy build. Remind me never to be on the Fast ring in December, because both the OS and the engineers go on an extended vacation. :| At the time (Dec 1) the release notes didn't list any significant 'known issues', so I'm not quite sure how they test these builds. Maybe they run them on clean installs with only natives apps and nothing on the SD card? Sheesh.. I hope today is the day we finally get a new FR build.

Edit: ugh, no new build today, via Sarkar: "there is no build today, Thursday REdmond time." Boo

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss