Windows 10 Mobile build 15063 Discussion (Redstone 2; Fast Ring)

BrunoMG

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
W10M has been around what? For 1 year? A bit more?
One of MS most important apps is still in Beta? For over a year?
Skype will get better when?

I rest my case......I am right....MS apps work better in Android and iOS.
Skype is an example....and it's not in beta in Android and iOS

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
My 950XL is not getting detected when plug into my computer when plug in via USB-C; doesn't show up in 'File Explorer', nor 'Phone Companion'... any suggestions?

1. Try to restart both, phone and computer. It might fix it.

2. If not, check your "Device Management" and try to update a driver (look an enclosed pic).

3. Install WDRT for your computer (it will reinstall drivers for your computer).

View attachment 134593.

I'm having the same issue with my Lumia 640. Not recognized by my laptop. Never had this issue before.

I tried all the steps. Doesn't show up in Device Management, and no matter what steps I follow, WDRT could not find the device.

So, I added another step!

4. Try a new, higher quality cable to connect the phone to the computer.

5. Use a USB 3 port instead of a USB 2 port.

My regular cable would not connect no matter what port I tried on the laptop. However, when I used a higher end, thicker cable, it would connect, but only when using my USB to USB-C adaptor. Plugging in my phone to the USB-C port on my laptop registers it. But ONLY when running WDRT and I have to tell it that I have a Lumia, then select my model.

Doing this added the Portable Device to my Device Manager. However, it had the asterisk on my Lumia 640 LTE in the device manager. I attempted to Update Driver, at which point I got the following:
2017-03-31.png

After the failed update of the driver, it no longer shows it to be a Lumia 640 LTE, but now is an "Unknown Device."

I'm still unable to use Explorer to browse the files on my phone.

I removed the "Unknown Device" from Device Manager, and tried the procedures again. WDRT recognizes it straight away, however, it will no longer show up anywhere in Device Manager, and Explorer still cannot see it.

Looks like Microsoft needs to fix the driver files for older devices that have upgraded to this version of Windows 10 Mobile.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
15063.2 is a huge battery suck for me. I could make it through the work day with 40-50% battery left on Production and original 15063, now I am less than 10% at the end of the work day. It just seems that all apps are using more battery.

I also have bluetooth crackling when opening other apps and listening to audio over bluetooth.

For me, 15063.0 became the big battery draining pig for me. I was down to 40% before noon. I had a number of other issues as well, and it was driving me nuts.

I did a hard reset before upgrading to 15063.2, and everything cleared up, including the battery drain issue (and bugs in Skype that bothered me.) 15063.2 is running great for me at this point, with the exception that as of 15063.x, my laptop will not recognize my phone. Not a huge deal, as everything is backed up on OneDrive, but I wanted to do a local copy to an external hard drive via my laptop before I did the hard reset, and I had to copy it all to the SD card from the phone, then remove the SD card and put it in my laptop to do the backup. Considering I only do that on very rare occasions, I guess it isn't that big of a deal, but it is a serious enough bug nonetheless. Just not one that will have a HUGE impact on me, but it will still bug my OCD now that I know about it.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
If there were yet any doubts on MS lack of investment in WM......

Samsung Galaxy S8 getting Microsoft custom version - Business Insider Deutschland

It's common knowledge that MS apps work way better in Android and iOS than in WM.....

After reading the article, I for one am every impressed...finally MS is starting to do things with regards to the growth of mobile. MS, currently, has 'no' short term chance of hitting one out of the park, OR winning the mobile game on that one hit...the competition is just to capable to let any grand innovation go unchecked, and would immediately dawn their rally caps and most likely steel back the thunder. BUT, if MS were to get the competition 'on board' then their is a greater chance of success, for them as a company and the mobile market as a pivotal point for an untapped industry...and, it would only make since that you would provide an olive branch that was 'worthy' of a committed collaboration for the benefit for all parties:

> Businesses would benefit because everyone would have access to their apps (even us WP guys and gals).

> Developers would benefit because they could develop in the protocol they are most comfortable.

> Hardware innovations would be abundant.

> Competition would be directed at the improvement of the industry, and not just their slice of it (albeit, a large slice at the moment).

> A larger, focused consortium, for dealing with future obstacles (cost, regulations, privacy, security, innovative materials, universal protocols).

By introducing the W10M ecosystem to a much larger audience in this manner would guarantee a more sustained acceptance, and growth, for the windows ecosystem. At the time when (if) the Surface Phone is ready for primetime, it would have a stronger likelihood of unlimited success, due to a much broader customer base than WP has now.

Maybe Android sees how collaborating with MS could provide a method to introduce innovations that they do not have immediate access to now - mostly the simply technology of walking up to "any" other consumer level technology, and have it 'securely and dependably', activated by the phone on their person (car, home, bank, store, office/home computer, etc.)? This would mean that Automotive Manufacturers, or any other volume supplier, would not have to worry about omitting any potential buyers because of technology incompatibility.

Just my thoughts on the subject...again, I wouldn't care whose hardware I used; as long as it provided the latest innovations 'AND' ran Windows...anything else is a plus for me.

Sorry for any typos you have experienced:)

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my Lumia 640. Not recognized by my laptop. Never had this issue before.

I tried all the steps. Doesn't show up in Device Management, and no matter what steps I follow, WDRT could not find the device.

So, I added another step!

4. Try a new, higher quality cable to connect the phone to the computer.

5. Use a USB 3 port instead of a USB 2 port.

My regular cable would not connect no matter what port I tried on the laptop. However, when I used a higher end, thicker cable, it would connect, but only when using my USB to USB-C adaptor. Plugging in my phone to the USB-C port on my laptop registers it. But ONLY when running WDRT and I have to tell it that I have a Lumia, then select my model.

Doing this added the Portable Device to my Device Manager. However, it had the asterisk on my Lumia 640 LTE in the device manager. I attempted to Update Driver, at which point I got the following:
View attachment 134674

After the failed update of the driver, it no longer shows it to be a Lumia 640 LTE, but now is an "Unknown Device."

I'm still unable to use Explorer to browse the files on my phone.

I removed the "Unknown Device" from Device Manager, and tried the procedures again. WDRT recognizes it straight away, however, it will no longer show up anywhere in Device Manager, and Explorer still cannot see it.

Looks like Microsoft needs to fix the driver files for older devices that have upgraded to this version of Windows 10 Mobile.

Hi rhapdog,
@nikosxri gave me a tip (see post# 141 ^^^) that cured that problem for me...worth a 'look see'.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Should I leave the SD card in, or remove it?

I remove the SD card when I do it. And since I removed the card it is actually highly recommended to format the card in the phone's storage when reinserting it back.

Not only your phone is cleansed but your SD card as well.

This is especially true if you install your apps and games in the SD card (Highly Not Recommended).
I always install my apps and games in phone storage. I let the SD Card do the storage duties for pictures, music and videos.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
so Glance ?

Do you mean how glance screen is working with this build ? - it is working well, even when using a background pic of lockscreen in a glance screen. Well, I prefer just clock and lock screen info on a glance screen with 30 secs timeout, that's enough when taking off from a pocket. It is always on when charging. (950 XL DS)

wgrs

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Until now no reboots with the current version, and relatively stable.

Today, after ending a Skype call, the device immediately rebooted. So no hopes to be out of beta. A never ending disaster.

spoonxii

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Do you mean how glance screen is working with this build ? - it is working well, even when using a background pic of lockscreen in a glance screen. Well, I prefer just clock and lock screen info on a glance screen with 30 secs timeout, that's enough when taking off from a pocket. It is always on when charging. (950 XL DS)

hmm unfortunately my Glance settings won't even boot up - or rather it opens and instantly closes. The glance screen is on but it so dim that it is unreadable. If I cover the proximity sensor like I was holding to my ear it goes off and then when i uncover it flashes proper brightness for half a second and goes dim again. :-( 950XL DS

PauloP

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
Until now no reboots with the current version, and relatively stable.

Today, after ending a Skype call, the device immediately rebooted. So no hopes to be out of beta. A never ending disaster.

Calm down, man... It's still a fast ring insider build. It's not the final release build yet...

PauloP

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
hmm unfortunately my Glance settings won't even boot up - or rather it opens and instantly closes. The glance screen is on but it so dim that it is unreadable. If I cover the proximity sensor like I was holding to my ear it goes off and then when i uncover it flashes proper brightness for half a second and goes dim again. :-( 950XL DS

Mine's working fine. Lumia 950 DS.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

I think that it could be fixable by hard reset (settings - system - about - reset your phone).

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I ran 15063 for about two weeks, and things seemed to work better as time wore on. Just installed 15063.2 Sunday night, and all seems to be right. HTC One M8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium