https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-...s-insider-team

I think this pretty much confirms that Mobile is NOT on Redstone 3 and never will be.
    06-14-2017 04:17 PM
    https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-...s-insider-team

I think this pretty much confirms that Mobile is NOT on Redstone 3 and never will be.

I'm not saying I think it will, or wont get RS3, but, they said the "next update" will be Feature2, that doesn't actually mean W10M wont get Redstone 3...
    anon(3463402) likes this.
    06-14-2017 04:42 PM
    "As noticed by Neowin, in the Windows Insider team’s monthly webcast, the team were asked whether Windows 10 Mobile would be leaving the feature2 branch – the answer: no."
    06-14-2017 04:42 PM
    Sad but not completely unexpected news.
    06-14-2017 06:11 PM
    "As noticed by Neowin, in the Windows Insider team’s monthly webcast, the team were asked whether Windows 10 Mobile would be leaving the feature2 branch – the answer: no."

Did they actually say "no" or is that the website summing up what was said? I'm asking because I tried to listen to the podcast but I couldn't get it to load.
    06-15-2017 07:56 AM
    Even if feature2 is the end of the road for W10M, who cares? Thanks to UWP, the apps will continue to get updates and the latest fast ring build runs wonderfully on my 1520.
    anon(3463402) and ven07 like this.
    06-15-2017 08:04 AM
    Makes sense. WM is now a few years old and uses OneCore

The next OS will be written with CShell and will be forked from W10M.
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    06-15-2017 08:07 AM
    That's fine, as far as I'm concerned, I will keep using my 950XL until new hardware is introduced, then I'll buy that, if it has a big enough leap in features (AND a great camera!)...or, maybe wait until I see version 2.0. My current phone is doing everything I need for it to do.

I have other toys I can play with in the meantime:)
    06-15-2017 08:59 AM
    I have no problem staying where we are for now. From what I'm reading and being told, F2 will be the launching pad for the new hardware. Whatever that may be.
    06-15-2017 09:24 AM
    BUT, as Windows Phone / Mobile faithful continue to leave the platform behind ...

WHO will buy the newest iteration of WM10?

What do we have to look forward to?
    by innuendo / rumor ... full Windows10 on a mobile device?

I think MS needs to throw the faithful some substantive bone, else there'll be no one left to adopt the latest reboot of the platform. Give us an idea, a timeline, solid hardware (surface phone ?) ... it'll have to be the proverbial category defining.
    Sedp23, ven07, N_LaRUE and 1 others like this.
    06-15-2017 10:54 AM
    The last year and a half has been a two-steps forward, one-step back process; the last couple of months has yielded a slow, and steady, forward progress...my device (950XL) seems to now run like it should. Point is, MSFT is making process, and appears to have a goal in mind. I will 'most definitely' give any new device a STRONG "look-see", and again, if it offers a big enough bump in features...I'll buy one (must have a great camera, though).

I'm still giving MSFT the benefit of the doubt:)
    06-15-2017 12:31 PM
    The last year and a half has been a two-steps forward, one-step back process; the last couple of months has yielded a slow, and steady, forward progress...my device (950XL) seems to now run like it should. Point is, MSFT is making process, and appears to have a goal in mind. I will 'most definitely' give any new device a STRONG "look-see", and again, if it offers a big enough bump in features...I'll buy one (must have a great camera, though).

Agreed 100%! My 1520 runs better than it ever has thanks to "feature2"
    ven07 and mtf1380 like this.
    06-15-2017 01:07 PM

Nicely said and fully agreed. I think Windows Mobile as we know it will again get a reboot to support a new hardware design for a device that's somewhere between a pc and a phone.
    ven07 and mtf1380 like this.
    06-15-2017 01:28 PM
    @Mark Kaplan, fingers crossed!

I just hope they don't under estimate the importance of a great camera, I think a superior camera/video recorder is a "key" feature for this type of 'Swiss-Army device'.
    ven07 and camaroz1985 like this.
    06-15-2017 01:41 PM
    While this news isn't confirmed, its also not unexpected. Still kind of feels like a gut punch.

I agree with you @mtf1380. Camera is very important in a do everything mobile device.
    Sedp23, mtf1380, ven07 and 1 others like this.
    06-15-2017 02:12 PM
    I just read the info from multiple sites. As it seems yes f2branch sitting on the W10M phones will remain there. What does this mean for the OEMs like Alcatel and HP?
    ....and when will Microsoft stop going on super secret squirrel missions, and share some direction and insight so folks can keep trucking along?
    anon(9809330) likes this.
    06-15-2017 07:23 PM
    I just hope that MS offers great incentives for third parties to support the platform. Considering we generally like the UI and features of windows phones, clearly that hasn't been enough to entice users and developers alike.

I'm sure that if developers start supporting the platform, for one reason or another, then users will similarly be happy to try it out. That's definitely what I saw with the launch of the L920, that hardware was awesome, there was heaps of interest, maybe not quite apple level, but it certainly encouraged a lot of people to give it a go. Unfortunately, a lack of features and apps, meant that when users decided on their next phone, they didn't stick with WP.

This is something which constant reboots worries me about. Going to cshell makes a lot of sense, but what is MS going to do about turfing a whole swathe of existing apps and encouraging them to come back?
    06-15-2017 08:19 PM
    While this news isn't confirmed, its also not unexpected. Still kind of feels like a gut punch.
    It really does. So it sounds like all we can hope for is for our current phones to run the best that they can.
    nate0, mtf1380 and Elky64 like this.
    06-16-2017 01:42 PM
    'cough' 'cough'
    FW updates from...Alcatel...HP...other OEMs?

I am fine with that. To some degree though certain OEMs need to step it up a notch to maintain the status of their device.
    Keith White Jr and Sedp23 like this.
    06-16-2017 06:41 PM
    It really does. So it sounds like all we can hope for is for our current phones to run the best that they can.
    Why is our phones running the best they can a bad thing?
    06-17-2017 06:40 AM
    Why is our phones running the best they can a bad thing?
    That's not a bad thing, I'm more disappointed in the lack of features because W10M still needs things, like a blue light filter.
    xandros9, Elky64, Sedp23 and 1 others like this.
    06-17-2017 06:54 AM
    I am still wondering why this site has not reported on this yet?

Anyway, I think this may be looked upon as the death knell for W10M and, whilst it may be. I just think it means that Microsoft IS working on one last reboot of the mobile OS and this is their way of putting the old system out to pasture so that the new system and hardware can be focused on.

At least, that's what I like to think. Knowing Microsoft though, it is most likely the end of it all. But I hope not.
    libra89 likes this.
    06-17-2017 06:55 AM
    I am still wondering why this site has not reported on this yet?

Anyway, I think this may be looked upon as the death knell for W10M and, whilst it may be. I just think it means that Microsoft IS working on one last reboot of the mobile OS and this is their way of putting the old system out to pasture so that the new system and hardware can be focused on.

At least, that's what I like to think. Knowing Microsoft though, it is most likely the end of it all. But I hope not.
    Curiously, a quick google search this morning betrayed a recent Windows Central article on the topic of Feature2 and forthcoming enterprise features, but I found it to be inaccessible, which may suggest it was pulled before publishing.

That said, slowly and surely developers are pulling the plug on apps and app updates, e.g. Runtastic recently announced it will no longer update its apps on W10M. Ouch--it's been a go-to app for me for years (despite the functionality missing on W10M vs. other platforms). Another--Garmin Connect hasn't worked for me since CU. Apparently, we have MS to thank for breaking Bluetooth for many devices in CU (not limited to Mobile).

So, two recent examples demonstrate (1) developers continue to leave the platform and (2) MS isn't always improving the W10M experience. Even if/when CShell comes to the platform we can, I think, expect to witness the demise of a gob of more apps that developers have already abandoned or will b/c there's no money to be made.

Hanging on to W10M at this point feels like hanging on to that one beaten down stock in your portfolio to which you have an irrational attachment and b/c of that you ride it all the way to the delisting. No doubt I'll keep my 950xl until it up and dies, but for me the ride ends June 20.

P.S. I'm not trying to be a nay-sayer, but my life sometimes seems littered with great ideas that MS ultimately abandons. Kinect...? Yeah, it still works, but functionally it's declined since the advent of W10. Is any developer making use of it anymore? (I don't think so.)
    Elky64, nate0, libra89 and 1 others like this.
    06-17-2017 09:52 AM
    WHO will buy the newest iteration of WM10?
    Suppose those that find Android and iOS just does not work for them, and the diehards who are steadfast that WM is their calling and nothing else will do. I for one am neither and pretty much given up on the platform.

What do we have to look forward to?
    Basically, more uncertainty... One or two new devices WILL NOT erase the past since too much damage has already been done, only time (years) will heal and that's if MS finally gets it right whilst keeping forward momentum, and w/o another "change of direction" or "retrenchment". Yes, everything has its ups and downs but IMO, what MS has done w/WP/WM is utter insanity.

I own several devices on all platforms, phones, computers and tablets. Out of them all, the most problematic by far in the past couple of years has been anything bearing the MSFT name, especially since the inception of W10. Really has me questioning their abilities in getting it right and doing it in a timely fashion. If it weren't for the fact that many of my "chores" in computing rely on the Windows platform I'd seriously be contemplating abandoning it altogether.
    libra89 likes this.
    06-17-2017 03:44 PM