Windows 10 Mobile build 15228 Discussion (Fast Ring)

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

2-3 weeks ago I moved from the Release Preview to the Fast/Slow Ring. I'm on this build right now.

When I first switched to Fast Ring I noticed a weird issue where the battery percentage increases/drops rapidly (by 30-40%) in a short period of time. Also saw cases where when charging it would cap at 70%. I haven't seen this yet after moving to this last build. I don't think it's real battery drain, but more of buggy battery percentage reporting. Not sure if a specific build fixed it or it's just a battery calibration problem that resolved itself.

One positive thing I noticed was how much my USB data transfer increased. I have about 5000-6000 high quality MP3 on my phone. I use MediaMonkey to sync between my PC and my phone. In the past, just scanning the audio files on my phone easily took 30-40 minutes. Now I could swear it takes like 10 minutes or something.

I like this so far.

Still having complaints regarding Bluetooth music streaming skipping (only initially, single skip) when another BT device connects. Also, more skipping when opening and using a graphically intensive app like Maps. Only when loading new directions or map, but not during navigation. Not sure what happens there.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I just switched to my Fast Ring 950 as my daily driver from my Release Preview 950 XL (I wanted a change of size and feel). So far it's been fantastic. I've had only a few stutters in performance with a few apps like Windows Central and Twitter crashed once (but that's just Twitter). I mean, feature2 is basically just a better RS2 for Mobile so I'm not sure what I expected. Nothing has changed. It just feels smoother and more stable.
Battery life feels the same.
Bluetooth does feel good.

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
In the past couple of weeks I've gone back to using my 950 as my daily driver. Android was nice on the S7 Edge I used for a couple of months (given to me free by my mum), much better than when I'd last used it in circa 2012 (expected after 5 years of further OS development!), but I just found myself missing my Windows Mobile..!

I leave my phone on 24/7 and yesterday, after a week or so of being on build 15226, I started to have performance issues when using it on the bus to work. It was not as smooth to navigate, slow to respond to my inputs and animations when opening apps were stuttering. Switching the phone off and on again resolved all of that, but then I couldn't pull down the notification bar once the phone had restarted! Having arrived at work by that stage I just put my phone in my pocket, but by the time lunchtime came the notification bar issue had resolved itself.

Anyway I bit the bullet and upgraded to this build whilst watching the WC podcast last night. I've not encountered anything show stopping and have put some minor issues on Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/windowspho..._there_really_no_known_issues_now_for_mobile/), including the one-handed mode bug highlighted a couple of days ago by @mtf1380.

Sent from mTalk

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
A quick update on my 1520 and 1320. My 1520 has seen zero issues sine installing this build. Not even the nagging issues like Bluetooth.

The Roku remote in the Roku app works again, The WC app doesn't seem to freeze as much and it seems to sit on the "goodbye" screen for less time.

On my 1320 Pandora acts a little weird. If I leave the app, the song will pause until I reopen the app and press un-pause. Also there is an oddly long pause between songs on the 1320.

And some apps don't show up in the store on my 1320.

But, all in all, a really good build. :grin:

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I've just been listening to music on my L950 (stored on my device) through Groove for the past hour and a half whilst outside gardening and the battery only went down from 94% to 92%. Happy with that. 🙂

Sent from mTalk

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I've just been listening to music on my L950 (stored on my device) through Groove for the past hour and a half whilst outside gardening and the battery only went down from 94% to 92%. Happy with that. ??????

Sent from mTalk

Agreed! I played Pandora for over 8 hours yesterday on my Lumia 1320 and it used about a quarter of my battery.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
If you have been listening to the news around Windows 10 you may have heard the phrase "in-box apps".

This term is used to describe those official apps from Microsoft that are included with the installation of Windows 10.

There are six of these apps and they are actually separate from the operating system but are included to provide the user basic functionality in key areas.

They have two unique properties:
1) They cannot be uninstalled like other Windows Store apps although you can choose an alternate app as the default for that functionality (Windows Settings>System>Default apps).

2) Although they are installed alongside the operating system they are developed by a separate app team instead of the Windows OS team. This allows updates to the app as necessary without needing an OS update to add new functionality or bug fixes. This aspect of updating these apps is part of the Windows as a Service (WaaS) process of keeping Windows up to date.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/ask-winobs-what-are-inbox-apps-provided-windows-10

A while back those apps (Outlook - Groove - etc.) were not included in some builds, was that when they began doing that?

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
The only issue I noticed on this build, so far, is: when I am in 'Settings', on a Topic Header, or Topic Sub-Header; when I reduce the screen to half size (by holding down the windows icon), I am unable to scroll to the bottom on the page's content - this seems to only happen on the Settings' Topic Header, and Sub-Header pages - all returns to normal when on the content pages, further down into the hierarchical structure. (950XL, DS, US)

My understanding now is that it's not actually a bug. If you're using the phone one-handed you can reach what's on the bottom of the screen - the purpose of the one-handed mode is to bring the top portion of the screen down and into reach.

Sent from mTalk

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
My understanding now is that it's not actually a bug. If you're using the phone one-handed you can reach what's on the bottom of the screen - the purpose of the one-handed mode is to bring the top portion of the screen down and into reach.

Sent from mTalk

Nah, he's right. He means WHILST using one handed mode he can't scroll fully down the page in settings. I've just tried it and mine does the same. It scrolls a little further but not all the way down and the page just springs back

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
@13paul13, I still feel it must be considered a bug, or at the very least an oversight... and in need of repair:

1: only happens when on certain screens that you are unable to scroll down, making it necessary to go back to full screen and adjust the positioning and then go back to one-hand mode...not very function friendly IMO (having to back and forth).

2: Like I said above..."only happens when on certain screens"; most screens allow you scroll down to the bottom of the current page, go back to a previous page (and scroll to bottom of it), go to an app, read the full content (top to bottom), etc. BUT, when to go to the Settings Page, in the header sections, you can NOT scroll.

looks to me that the code writer didn't take into account the extra lines needed to allow scrolling to the bottom when in one-handed mode.

ie:

when in full screen mode, it may only take 30 additional lines to hit the last of the pages' content; which would be accounted for in the code, one way or another.

but,

when in one-hand mode, because the action reduces the page size by half, you would have to add the number of lines taken away, back into the event - so the math, using the example above, should be: add half a screen of lines to the code (to make up what the screen removed) + 30 additional lines to hit the last of the pages' content. I don't think they did this...if they did, they did it wrong:)

Ektalog

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Is there really a "Photos" app, by this specific name? I ask because they refer to it in the WI notes for this new build. I've never seen it as such (but I may have missed it). I can't find it in the store (but they may have now hidden it). Or it is a generic term, they may be referring to any Photos/photography taking app.

It appears that they tinkered with this, heavily.

Which may explain the sudden issues that this build has brought to my L1020* photo apps. For the first time ever I am seeing a few radical behaviors. For example, the "1Shot" app is locking up itself very often -- usually with a solid green screen that also pervades any other camera app that is then loaded right after. A reboot is required to deal with it..

"Camera 1020" is also acting up a bit, though much less predictably More often, it freezes or simply vanishes.

"Lumia Camera" and "Camera" do seem stable...so far. However, neither will recover from a "green screen" previously caused by another app, like what "1Shot" is prone to cause.

It seems like these camera apps are draining the battery faster than on build 15226 (which has good overall for my system(.

This is all early reporting during the first 24 hours. I have not tried any HDR apps yet.

*To be sure, the L1020 is not supposed to be using these builds:wink:

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
@dov1978 that happens on mine too and I thought it was a bug when I first read it. However, I think it's how the feature is intended to work.
@mtf1380 I can get very few screens to scroll all the way to the bottom in one-handed mode. Even when all information shows on the screen anyway in full screen mode, it doesn't scroll all the way to the bottom when in one-handed. (For example Settings > Devices > USB.)

I fully understand your point. But, if you're using the phone one-handed, then you can reach any options on the bottom half of the screen in normal mode. However you can only reach to about halfway up the screen. I believe the sole purpose of one-handed mode is to just bring those out of reach options down when you need something higher up the page, select which option you needed and then exit one-handed mode immediately. I dont think the intention is for one-handed mode to be used for any extended period of time. As I say, you're not going to need one-handed mode for anything lower down the screen in normal mode as you can already reach it.

I use the phone 2 handed, so I don't really know how people use one-handed mode in practice and whether they want/need the ability to scroll all the way to the bottom in it.

Sent from mTalk

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Is there really a "Photos" app, by this specific name? I ask because they refer to it in the WI notes for this new build. I've never seen it as such (but I may have missed it). I can't find it in the store (but they may have now hidden it). Or it is a generic term, they may be referring to any Photos/photography taking app.

I believe the notes are referring to the preinstalled / inbox Photos app that comes with W10M.

I only use the default Photos and camera apps on my 950 and haven't encountered an issue with either on this build.

Sent from mTalk

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
@13paul13, we are going to have to agree, to disagree:). Your point is valid, but would make the feature somewhat limited.

Lets say you a carrying a small child in one hand (or a bag of groceries), with a lot of distance to cover (parking lot, through the lobby, to the elevator, down the hall...you get the picture), and also have a million of things on your to-do list you would like to check off, one of which is checking emails from a number of different accounts, another may be view a facts on the internet...whatever. If the one-handed feature was intended to only be limited to accessing to the top of the current page, you would be at an extreme disadvantage and very limited to navigate through your phone, therefore making the feature non-productive.

Like I suggested in the earlier post (and probably not well:), I think that the problem with the feature is that it does not include the code that compensate for when the screen's content is moved down, and therefore not able to fully reach the end of "ANY" page (it will scroll down on some content pages a very long way, but never seems to go to the very end of the page).

> if, for example, a full page is 100 lines long, and:
> you go into half page mode, and the content slides down by 50 lines (half mode), and:
> and your code is written to scroll down the original page's 100 lines, then there would always 50 lines at the end of the page that wouldn't be seen. This computation would apply to any page content's length, always leaving 50 lines at the end, unaccounted for.

Another point to consider: if the feature were intended to work on the current page only, then it should automatically convert back to the full page mode then hitting the back page arrow...but it doesn't.

I do respect for points, but I still feel it is a bug in need of a tweak:)

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm not a coder, but your explanation of the mathematics is perhaps a simplified version of how Microsoft has actually coded it to function as it does. I felt initially that it was a bug, but a comment on Reddit made me think about the feature more and I'm sure it's working as intended.

I've done a little bit of searching on the internet this afternoon to try and get a definitive answer and http://www.digitalcitizen.life/what-one-handed-mode-windows-10-mobile-and-how-use-it supports my understanding.

"When you try to use the smartphone with one hand, you quickly realise that you rely on your thumb for all your actions that require touching the screen. Most people will not be able to reach the top of the screen with their thumb.

Getting out of the one handed mode it is as easy as getting in. For an immediate reaction touch the top half of the screen (the black part). The screen will slide up and reveal the whole Windows 10 Mobile screen and everything goes back to normal.

The same effect is achieved by not touching the screen for a few seconds. This one handed mode is, after all, a temporary state that allows access to the links and buttons in the top half of the screen. Once your actions are taken, you want to go back to your normal usage. In the one handed mode you do not see the bottom half of your screen and you cannot interact with it. Therefore you do not want to linger there more than necessary."

By design, it will automatically go back to full screen after a few seconds of inactivity. Microsoft have seemingly only envisaged it being used by someone for a few seconds to bring something at the top of a screen within reach.

As it appears to be working as Microsoft designed I don't think it can be classed as a bug.

You have however come up with a good example of where the need to scroll all the way to the bottom of a screen in one-handed mode could be necessary. I'm sure we've all seen somebody laden with something in one hand and trying to use their phone in the other, so it does happen in real life.

So if it is working as designed, perhaps it should be reviewed by Microsoft to ensure all of a screen is scrollable in one-handed mode to take into account real life scenarios as per your example?

Sent from mTalk

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
@13paul13, I understand why you believe as you do, based on this tutorial by Daniel Parchisanu, in the Digital Citizen (and I could very well be wrong). But, taking into account that this article was written a year and a half ago, by a guy that originally though this new feature was a gimmick, I would conclude that he may be mistaking, or at the very least, the feature was young and not fully developed at the time of his assessment. I would however lean in your favor - that it may not be a bug - if the article had been written by Microsoft (or equivalent source), but would then consider it an oversight on MS's part.

I am not a coder neither, but 'my' logic dictates, to me, that this feature is not fully baked. So, I will (and have) report this bug/shortcoming to MS Feedback:)

I do thank you for your thought provoking option, I hope I have provided the same:)

Cheers!:^)

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I do thank you for your thought provoking option, I hope I have provided the same:)

Indeed you have and I can definitely see your logic and viewpoint.

Whereas we probably won't be able to agree on whether the feature is working as designed or there is a bug, we're both in agreement that being able to scroll to the bottom in one-handed mode should be coded in - whether that's Microsoft reviewing their initial design decision for the feature, or fixing a bug if that's what's causing the missing bottom section of the screen :).

I've enjoyed this civilized discussion. :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb