Windows 10 Mobile build 15228 Discussion (Fast Ring)

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
For me, I still get the occasional random restarts when waking up my 950XL. This happened in the previous two builds as well. I just press the lock button to unlock my phone and it goes to a black screen and restarts. It sometimes happens when switching between apps too.

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
This evening I've just started getting black screens for a few seconds before something then actually shows on screen. It's happened twice so far.

1. I pressed the power button to wake the phone, the red light came on as it does for the iris scan but no lock screen appeared for a few seconds.

2. After speaking to mum on the phone, I took the phone away from my ear but the screen was black so I couldn't end the call. It was a good 5 seconds before the "in-call" screen appeared. Mum had evidently ended the call from her end in the meantime anyway as the end call option was greyed out when something finally appeared on my screen.

Sent from mTalk

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Further to the above, I got no further black screens :smile:.

However, Glance stopped working properly at some point last night. I have it set to only show for 30 seconds. When I locked the phone after use, it showed for 30 seconds. But when taking the phone out of a pocket or waving a hand over the proximity sensor, no Glance screen appeared as it should.

Turning the phone off and on again has got things back to normal.

I leave my phone on 24/7. Over the last couple of Fast Ring builds, after around a week, the phone has started to have issues (15226 started to not be as smooth or responsive to input, with opening app animations also stuttering, and 15228 as I've mentioned in the above post and this post). Thankfully a quick turn off and on of the phone has got things back to normal.

Does anybody else who keeps their device on 24/7 start to encounter performance issues/unexpected behaviour after around a week of installing the build?

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Glance screen playing up again in the same way as it did last night.

Also just a few moments ago, when I took the phone away from my ear during a call, the speakerphone did not come on automatically like I have the option set to do (and it always has done in the past).

Sent from mTalk

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I'm having problems with is cellular data intermittently turning off but the toggle shows it still being on. 950 on att by the way.

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Does anybody else who keeps their device on 24/7 start to encounter performance issues/unexpected behaviour after around a week of installing the build?

Not exactly the same thing, but I have noticed the following on my 950XL DS:

1) Powering the phone off and on always gets better results than a soft reset when I have issues.

2) I often (but not always) have issues crop up over time after I install a build. (I also keep my phone on 24/7)

My advice to someone who asked would be to power-cycle the phone every few days (maybe twice per week). I don't do it because, when I think of it, I am often not plugged in and a power cycle seems to cost me close to 10% off my battery.

Ektalog

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Not exactly the same thing, but I have noticed the following on my 950XL DS:

1) Powering the phone off and on always gets better results than a soft reset when I have issues.

2) I often (but not always) have issues crop up over time after I install a build. (I also keep my phone on 24/7)

My advice to someone who asked would be to power-cycle the phone every few days (maybe twice per week). I don't do it because, when I think of it, I am often not plugged in and a power cycle seems to cost me close to 10% off my battery.

Hmm, interesting observation about the power off 10% penalty. It is not that I have or not been affected, I simply may have been blaming the wrong factor. All along, I've been blaiming the camera apps for the extraordinary battery drain with this build.

Since I use my L1020 for photography a lot daily, I been been frustrated by a tendency of this build to cause camera apps to lock-up and other issues. These force me to reboot often. In fact, almost every time I use either 1Shot or ProShot, a reboot will soon be needed. This did not happen before this build.

Your observation suggests that they are separate issues. Meaning that whatever is causing the camera apps to misbehave, is different from the cause for the battery drain.

Could this mean that more folks would see the battery drain effect if something force them to reboot more often?

(Also, perhaps related, the battery indicator has not been reliable in this build...a low-ish indicated level after a recharge, gets refreshed to a higher indicated level upon an immediate reboot.)

BTW, yesterday I did begin to observe that rebooting via power off is perhaps working better than soft reset. I thought it was my imagination until now. I'll try to keep an eye out for this.

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Glance and loud speaker have behaved and worked as they should over the past 24 hours 🙂.

Following the above couple of replies, I thought I'd have a look at whether I get any significant battery drain from switching the phone off and on again. It was 98% when I turned it off (I'd charged it to 100%, then took a phone call just as I was about to start the test!). After switching back on, it's at 71%!! Either:
1. the battery percentage reading was showing wrong before I turned the phone off,
2. it's showing an incorrect reading now, or
3. both readings are correct, and I really did lose 27% battery charge by just turning the device off and on!!

Sent from mTalk

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
turned power off (1st time) = 70%
turned power on (1st time) = 66%

turned power off (2nd time) = 66%
turned power on (2nd time) = 65%

Ektalog

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Something just does not add up with this build. Half an hour ago I was in the car waiting for my wife at the supermarket. I figured I'd check the thread on my phone. Instead of arriving at this last page directly, the browser landed on the thread's introduction, page 1. (That's just my bad key fingering, of course.) But I did not realize this at first.

I was delighted to "see" that there was now a new build that specifically addressed our issues. YEAH!!!

Bummer! Not so. THIS build was supposed to be the one to fix the issues, according to the intro.

Then I amused myself with some "fake theories":
-- This is a mutant build, damaged by in transit to my phone by cosmic rays - I ran to the basement
-- I simply forgot to check that the build actually installed (I went to recheck, nope 15228 it is)
-- They know that my L1020 is not supposed to get these builds...and singled out my unit for fake installs. Locked basement door.
-- The phone is working fine, they are redirecting the cosmic rays to my head (quickly donned my aluminum foil cap)
-- My head was messed up to begin with; they simply switch me to "dumb mode" - (I tightened some more belts on my straight jacket)
-- The developers are enjoying a strong batch of weed and got confused -- I emailed for my share!

To wit:
Changes, improvements, and fixes for Mobile

We have fixed notifications (SMS, Calendar) with all Fitbit trackers.
We have fixed crashes reported while using Photos app.
We have fixed a deployment issue in where if an admin uses ActiveSyncCSP to provisioning email account on device running the Windows 10 Creators Update without providing a valid password, and the email server enforces a limited number of denied access retries, then the server will lock out the email account.
We have improved battery performance by fixing a bug in a scenario where 30% more power was used during Camera app preview and capture mode.
Some Insiders provided feedback that playing video on phone resulted in a black flash and/or stuttering when in landscape mode. We have fixed this issue.
We have improved Bluetooth connectivity with Garmin Wearable devices.
General improvement in reliability of phones by fixing top crash issues.

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I decided to do a soft reset last night and then stuck my 950 back on charge and left it plugged in until I went bed.

It went from 100% to 94% overnight, pretty much the usual discharge rate I experience overnight.

I used a few apps on the way to work and, when I got to work, the phone was on 84%. I decided to 'brave' a power off and on cycle, and it was at 80% when it had turned back on. So only lost 4% battery charge.

Sent from mTalk

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
This may not be a "bug" but if it is by design it is very annoying. When using my phone as a hot spot, when the last client disconnects (like when my laptop.... the only client.... goes to sleep) the hotspot turns off. I have to re-enable it each time I want to use it. The hotspot on my Android phone remains enabled regardless of whether there are connected clients.

Paul

After using this build for about five days while camping and using the phone as a hotspot, I think I will revise my position. The benefits of having the hotspot de-activate after the last client disconnects would seem to outweigh the hassle of having to turn it back on again when I next want to use the hotspot.

I keep my phone (L950) in a wireless charging cradle in the camper with the hotspot enabled. When I leave the camper, I put the phone in my pocket and don't have to worry about turning the hotspot off (to conserve battery). The function is growing on me ;)

Paul

Ektalog

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
After using this build for about five days while camping and using the phone as a hotspot, I think I will revise my position. The benefits of having the hotspot de-activate ...

... The function is growing on me ;)

Paul

I am glad that you sorted this one out. I bypassed it for a very specific set of reasons, not applicable to most other people's situation. In the general context, there is good role for this feature. (Like: Why would one needlessly leave a gateway visible for a bored hacker to be tempted into? And it drains battery also.)

pgoelz

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I am glad that you sorted this one out. I bypassed it for a very specific set of reasons, not applicable to most other people's situation. In the general context, there is good role for this feature. (Like: Why would one needlessly leave a gateway visible for a bored hacker to be tempted into? And it drains battery also.)
I use the hotspot almost exclusively when camping in our trailer. After thinking about it, it is less work to have the hotspot turn off automatically but still have to turn it back on manually. What would be even nicer would be to be able to set the hotspot to turn on when on the charger and off when off the charger. That would follow my use scenario perfectly.

Paul

suburbanl3g3nd

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Huge heads up to anyone running the most recent fast ring build on a daily driver. The update killed the earpiece on my Alcatel Idol 4s to the point where I couldn't hear anyone on a phone call without being on speakerphone but the recipient could hear me just fine. It only seems to affect the earpiece because Bluetooth and speakerphone still seemed to work (usually).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo