Difference between Release and Fast/Slow Rings?

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Fast/Slow should be for testing new features, right?
Release should be to get those new features little earlier than Production, right?

Now when Fast/Slow is on "feature2", which means no new features, what's the difference between those Rings and Release Preview Ring? :eck:

If 152xx builds are only bug fixing releases then why they're not pulled to Release Preview/Production too? And is it better to stay in Production/Release Preview area and avoid Fast/Slow atm?

They made such a mess with '(no)feature2'.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I moved to Feature2 Fast yesterday. I would never normally do that on a daily phone, except the current mobile Fast branch appears more of a bug fix branch that is ahead of Production. It seems to have a bunch of fixes in it as that is all that appears to be occurring on this branch.

Saying that, historically Fast/Slow are both risky, with Slow less risky than Fast. I may now select Slow so an untested and breaking Fast update won't break my phone.

So far though, it appears more reliable. But I guess there is more of a danger of an update breaking things.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I moved to Feature2 Fast yesterday. I would never normally do that on a daily phone, except the current mobile Fast branch appears more of a bug fix branch that is ahead of Production. It seems to have a bunch of fixes in it as that is all that appears to be occurring on this branch.

Saying that, historically Fast/Slow are both risky, with Slow less risky than Fast. I may now select Slow so an untested and breaking Fast update won't break my phone.

So far though, it appears more reliable. But I guess there is more of a danger of an update breaking things.

Yes!

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
So - excuse me if i'm being daft, but it makes sense to shift to the Fast Ring now, and then back to the RP to make sure i dont download anything too unstable?
BE NOTED that you'll not be able to jump to RP from the Fast Ring. You are only able to switch between Fast and Slow, or disable Insider builds temporarily.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb