Windows 10 Mobile build 15254.1 Discussion (Fast Ring)

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Right. And I'm probably wrong, but if there will be no more Insider Builds it's better to be on Production, right? In case Insider has some bugs or something. That's just my opinion. I did today notice that Groove Music got an update and we can now sync via OneDrive inside the Settings menu. That was removed and they seems to have put it back.

This may help you, @Joe920. You can also manage your OneDrive music straight from the Groove Music app too.

Going forward there is no difference between being an Insider or not. It's the same builds you get. Maybe you will get app updates sooner when you are an Insider. On the other hand MS collects way too much information about you when you are an Insider so I would prefer being on production.
With the new Groove Music update it's now possible to have the photo of the artist playing on your lockscreen! (or was it already there before?)

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Right. And I'm probably wrong, but if there will be no more Insider Builds it's better to be on Production, right? In case Insider has some bugs or something. That's just my opinion. I did today notice that Groove Music got an update and we can now sync via OneDrive inside the Settings menu. That was removed and they seems to have put it back.

This may help you, @Joe920. You can also manage your OneDrive music straight from the Groove Music app too.

Going forward there is no difference between being an Insider or not. It's the same builds you get. Maybe you will get app updates sooner when you are an Insider. On the other hand MS collects way too much information about you when you are an Insider so I would prefer being on production.
With the new Groove Music update it's now possible to have the photo of the artist playing on your lockscreen! (or was it already there before?)

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

You are right. Artists photos can be on the lockscreen. I think that is actually something new!

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the heads up. I tried the folder renaming thing earlier (renamed the Music folder on onedrive.com, created a new Music folder. Turns out Groove on Win10 notices the rename and now 'looks for music' in the renamed folder. Removed that search location, set it to the new Music folder. I see it index 79 new tracks (the amount in that folder), then set the app to show 'Music on Onedrive'. Result: empty list. Maybe because I also have those files stored locally? But the iOS app also sees zero OneDrive tracks. Signed out on iOS and back in. Still nothing. Sigh... Thanks for the suggestions though!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. I tried the folder renaming thing earlier (renamed the Music folder on onedrive.com, created a new Music folder. Turns out Groove on Win10 notices the rename and now 'looks for music' in the renamed folder. Removed that search location, set it to the new Music folder. I see it index 79 new tracks (the amount in that folder), then set the app to show 'Music on Onedrive'. Result: empty list. Maybe because I also have those files stored locally? But the iOS app also sees zero OneDrive tracks. Signed out on iOS and back in. Still nothing. Sigh... Thanks for the suggestions though!

Are they your own downloads or purchases?
I synced a ton of songs offline that I did not ever purchase and it screwed up my playlists when I had to purchase and download the ones I wanted. Not sure if you are not seeing the tracks at all or if maybe you can build a playlist on your PC and sync the playlist offline to your phone (that is what I do).

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Okay. I am determined to help you solve this.

Here's what I did.

1 - Made a new folder called"Random" and copied all music from "Music" folder to it.

2 - Hid the Random folder (with music inside) inside another folder so OneDrive could not find it.

3 - Deleted original "Music" folder from OneDrive root and emptied OneDrive recycle bin.

4 - Renamed "Random" folder to "Music".

5 - Copied "Music" folder to root of OneDrive.

6 - Signed out of OneDrive on Windows Phone, restarted phone, signed back in to OneDrive on phone.

7 - Open Groove music on phone, sign out. Close app.

8 - Open OneDrive on phone, sign in. Make sure it matches the web version (e.g. it sees the "Music" folder in root.

9 - Open Groove on phone, sign in.

10 - In Groove on phone, go to the menu, and under OneDrive tap "Sync my music" and it should start syncing.

On my desktop, I signed out of Groove completely. Deleted all locally stored music and removed all folders for it to look in.

I then reset the Groove app by deleting the database (see below for how to do that).

• Make sure the app is closed (and the WWAHost process is not running)
  • Go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.ZuneMusic_[random string/hash]\LocalState\Database
  • I only had one folder listed, and the name was random. Likely another hash of something user-specific.
  • Rename (or delete) the folder, and the database will be rebuilt on the next program run.

Once done, I reopened Groove afresh and checked that I had no folders set for it to search for music. This meant that absolutely no music files were shown inside Groove at all and were all deleted.

I then signed in to Groove on desktop and it started updating from OneDrive directly using the new "Music" folder we made above.

The phone also started syncing from OneDrive inside Groove but was much slower than the desktop.

So, in the end, both phone and PC stream music from OneDrive with nothing stored or searched for locally.

Let me know if you have any issues or questions with this. I'll be happy to help.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Okay. I am determined to help you solve this.

Here's what I did.

1 - Made a new folder called"Random" and copied all music from "Music" folder to it.

10 - In Groove on phone, go to the menu, and under OneDrive tap "Sync my music" and it should start syncing.
Wow, thanks for all that. Amazing how many steps are needed to get Groove to so something that it should be doing out of the box! Pretty stubborn app.. I'll let you know when I have a chance to try all this out.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Wow, thanks for all that. Amazing how many steps are needed to get Groove to so something that it should be doing out of the box! Pretty stubborn app.. I'll let you know when I have a chance to try all this out.

Good luck! There may be less steps but this is what I pieced together from my own research and experience with this issue.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Now that MS has effectively killed the Insider Program for mobile, I was wondering what happens to this section of the forum? Will it be retired or just left to its own devices?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I say let us have our fun. It won't hurt for it to stay here. Yet I am not the one that makes those decisions. Plus the information contained is still a good source today for many, even if it was unofficially killed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb