07-28-2018 08:28 AM
62 123
tools
    I'm scared that the failure of Windows RT, Windows phone and Win 10 Mobile will have bigger consequences than we think. Down the road, 7 - 10 years, i'm thinking that we may see the total demise of Windows 10 on PC. Microsoft will be providing their Office 365 service suit for iPhones, iPads, and Macs, as well as for Android phones, tablets and Chromebooks. They will dominate cloud storage with their Azure service, and that's it. No one will need 'Windows' anymore...people will choose between Apple's 'App store', or Androids 'Google Play Store'. No need for a third option...just like way back in the 1980's, people had a choice between Apple's Macintosh and IBM's DOS operating systems. No 'third choice'. Right now, students are either on their iPhones and iPads, shopping the App Store, or they are on their Android phones, tablets, and Chromebooks, shopping the Google Play store. None of them are visiting Microsoft's Store. In 7 - 10 years, they will be in their early 20's, and the only place they will see Windows 10 OS is in businesses and stores.
    zr2s10 likes this.
    07-19-2018 01:49 AM
    I'm scared that the failure of Windows RT, Windows phone and Win 10 Mobile will have bigger consequences than we think. Down the road, 7 - 10 years, i'm thinking that we may see the total demise of Windows 10 on PC. Microsoft will be providing their Office 365 service suit for iPhones, iPads, and Macs, as well as for Android phones, tablets and Chromebooks. They will dominate cloud storage with their Azure service, and that's it. No one will need 'Windows' anymore...people will choose between Apple's 'App store', or Androids 'Google Play Store'. No need for a third option...just like way back in the 1980's, people had a choice between Apple's Macintosh and IBM's DOS operating systems. No 'third choice'. Right now, students are either on their iPhones and iPads, shopping the App Store, or they are on their Android phones, tablets, and Chromebooks, shopping the Google Play store. None of them are visiting Microsoft's Store. In 7 - 10 years, they will be in their early 20's, and the only place they will see Windows 10 OS is in businesses and stores.
    Exactly. They have dropped the ball so hard on mobile, that it crashed into the sub-sub-basement. And in 99% of consumers minds, Andromeda is a smart phone to be compared to iPhone and Android.
    07-19-2018 12:55 PM
    I wanted to add to my little app rant that Microsoft should do something exclusive with Xbox games for Andromeda. Gamers would buy Andromeda if it is a compelling mobile gaming platform that has license to play an Andromeda variant of Xbox games they have already purchased.
    07-19-2018 11:44 PM
    This is my opinion and my opinion only. I'm excited about Andromeda. Yes yes I know. Microsoft could yet do it again. Get me all hyped up for a year or two and then move on to something else.

What is everyone else's thoughts? Let's discuss. (Without bashing other opinions please)
    Too many Microsoft fans writing the same thing here over and over 😴.

I would dearly love to see an alternative to Android and iOS to keep them honesty but Microsoft isn't the one to pull it off.

Google had already, inadvertently perhaps, created the alternative: AOSP.

AOSP can access rich ecosystems of apps and offers a heavily streamlined UX.

For Microsoft to succeed in the mobile space it would need a killer form factor AND the patent portfolio to make that form factor exclusive.

It's the latter piece that I somehow doubt. Apple has been VERY busy registering patents as has Google.

Without patents to make an idea exclusive what is to stop Apple or Google from out Andromeding Andromeda?

Apple and Google have deep pockets and over a decade of rip roaring success in the mobile world.

If Andromeda was truly a threat do you honestly think that Apple and Google would be resting on their laurels?
    07-21-2018 02:06 AM
    Too many Microsoft fans writing the same thing here over and over .

I would dearly love to see an alternative to Android and iOS to keep them honesty but Microsoft isn't the one to pull it off.

Google had already, inadvertently perhaps, created the alternative: AOSP.

AOSP can access rich ecosystems of apps and offers a heavily streamlined UX.

For Microsoft to succeed in the mobile space it would need a killer form factor AND the patent portfolio to make that form factor exclusive.

It's the latter piece that I somehow doubt. Apple has been VERY busy registering patents as has Google.

Without patents to make an idea exclusive what is to stop Apple or Google from out Andromeding Andromeda?

Apple and Google have deep pockets and over a decade of rip roaring success in the mobile world.

If Andromeda was truly a threat do you honestly think that Apple and Google would be resting on their laurels?
    Unfortunately you have fallen into the same category as those you bemoan. Andromeda is not a mobile OS platform. It's an ultraportable PC form factor with telephony services. It's not W10M redux.
    TgeekB and a5cent like this.
    07-21-2018 07:33 PM
    Unfortunately you have fallen into the same category as those you bemoan. Andromeda is not a mobile OS platform. It's an ultraportable PC form factor with telephony services. It's not W10M redux.
    Flog it baby, flog it! Erm... or lead it to water... or whatever... you know what I mean.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    07-21-2018 08:31 PM
    Flog it baby, flog it! Erm... or lead it to water... or whatever... you know what I mean.
    Oh stop horsing around.
    a5cent likes this.
    07-21-2018 08:33 PM
    Hee haw!
    a5cent and fatclue_98 like this.
    07-21-2018 08:49 PM
    I don’t know that much about Xbox to comment. Maybe a gaming smartphone for those people could gain interest.
    As for anything else I just don’t think enough people think of MS as being in the consumer business, at least not like Apple or Samsung.
    Interesting times ahead though.
    Exactly this. MS keeps pushing that they are focusing on enterprises and businesses that when the time comes for them to need consumer support (and they will) there'll be nobody left to support them s whatever they try to launch will ultimately fail.
    07-21-2018 09:51 PM
    Hee haw!
    I'm a pickin' and you're a grinnin'
    TgeekB and a5cent like this.
    07-21-2018 10:37 PM
    What about this https://twitter.com/mech_dome/status...5751098327040?

Do you guys think sth like that would solve the app gap issue?

I also can't understand why no manufacturer like the one making GPD pocket has thought of putting a modem inside their product and write software to make calls and SMS and then call it a phone, with full Windows 10.

Is it that hard, really? Even with 5 hours battery, it would be worth to see as an experiment and improve. Even a launcher could be developed if windows 10 are not vertical-friendly or whatever.
    07-27-2018 08:36 PM
    What about this https://twitter.com/mech_dome/status...5751098327040?

Do you guys think sth like that would solve the app gap issue?

I also can't understand why no manufacturer like the one making GPD pocket has thought of putting a modem inside their product and write software to make calls and SMS and then call it a phone, with full Windows 10.

Is it that hard, really? Even with 5 hours battery, it would be worth to see as an experiment and improve. Even a launcher could be developed if windows 10 are not vertical-friendly or whatever.
    That is some pretty clever coding. Hope they can bring it full circle soon.
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...pc/coming_soon
    Mark Kaplan likes this.
    07-28-2018 08:28 AM
62 123