The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-21-2016 07:57 AM
276 ... 89101112
tools
    More APIs to the developers
    12-23-2015 08:16 AM
    YouTube has a video showing 10 differences between 8.1 and 10.

For me personally ms took more away than they added.
    The start screen is a big improvement.
    Phone app. Has changed, added some.
    Ability to pair a bt keyboard is nice.
    The office applications are improved.

Now for what they took away.
    Calendar no longer has year view.
    People is totally stripped of features.
    Email no longer gets you reply or forward to groups.
    Keyboards are tweaked and I make more mistakes on 10.
    Settings are grouped but still takes me just as long to find what I want.

Overall for me apps. Are improved most, with exception to calendar, people and email. Those 3 core apps. Pushed me back to 8.1 for now. For record, calendar and email have been improved I just wish the wouldn't have removed anything.
    12-23-2015 08:37 AM
    Better UI, better multitask performance, and freezing screen on my lumia 720. XD
    12-23-2015 08:41 AM
    Thx Cracgor... question though:

for someone that has a surface 3 and a desktop can you imagine why anyone would ever sit down stationary at a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to do stuff on a phone when they can be mobile with there tablet w/ attached keyboard?

would you do it?
    12-23-2015 09:32 AM
    In the next generation or two when they have wp mobile handsets running an Intel instruction set then it will be awesome to have a full pc experience when wandering near a miracast display. The behavior will be emergent I think and I can't begin to predict what this will mean though I expect that the impact could be significant.

As an aside: I reckon that they could easily take the current continuum experience and adapt it to the car. How awesome would that be? The independent interface paradigm that they have would be perfect for it.

Mick.
    andraeseus likes this.
    12-23-2015 09:44 AM
    Love love love love love this idea.

In the next generation or two when they have wp mobile handsets running an Intel instruction set then it will be awesome to have a full pc experience when wandering near a miracast display. The behavior will be emergent I think and I can't begin to predict what this will mean though I expect that the impact could be significant.

As an aside: I reckon that they could easily take the current continuum experience and adapt it to the car. How awesome would that be? The independent interface paradigm that they have would be perfect for it.

Mick.
    12-23-2015 01:14 PM
    There's so much more that's built in, now, instead of you having to download a stupid third party app for - like stopwatch, timer, world clock, unit converter, file explorer, adjustable tile transparency AND (can you believe it?) a FLASHLIGHT app!
    Last edited by Bobcat665; 12-23-2015 at 02:55 PM.
    HeyCori, lankylars and Fire 29 like this.
    12-23-2015 02:32 PM
    12-24-2015 01:09 AM
    A system that is not totally dead and beyond any hope?

WP8.1 has no development at all going on, no new apps, no fixes, no new features, not from anyone (and especially not from Microsoft).

W10M has at least a glimpse of hope (at least until it is released (or they finally cancel the project...)).
    HeyCori likes this.
    12-24-2015 02:58 AM
    There is a lot of interesting stuff in windows 10 mobile, built in apps we didnt have in 8.1, real, refreshed and new apps coming, a refresh in ui an ux, also noticed that its a bit colourful than 8.1 and customisable in settings than 8.1 which is limited, notification centre which is a so cool and a plus of everything thats coming. Windows 8.1 no longer have development, its alive but reached end support.
    Last edited by MobileOperator; 12-24-2015 at 03:52 AM.
    12-24-2015 03:40 AM
    Better notification center, better browser and better file explorer

Sent from mTalk
    12-24-2015 06:43 AM
    Why dont we go back to What did we have in Windows phone 8.1 that we LOST in WIndows 10 phone ?

-Wallet
    -Cortana (control to mute)

and there is a ton more but, those are the 2 that bother me the most..
    12-24-2015 09:22 AM
    Thx Cracgor... question though:

for someone that has a surface 3 and a desktop can you imagine why anyone would ever sit down stationary at a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to do stuff on a phone when they can be mobile with there tablet w/ attached keyboard?

would you do it?
    I would not. I do not see the benefit to Continuum in my workflow. I would have to carry a keyboard, mouse, and docking station with me to accomplish what I could do with my SP3 and a cable. Not to mention I don't even need the monitor if I don't want it with the SP3. It is a neat idea, but less useful to me.
    12-25-2015 08:41 PM
    Maybe it was more about something that's drastically"new" and now about refactoring the code base to streamline their "one windows" concept. They could've done that without calling it Windows 10 sure. Fans are fickle however, and a new branding makes it a shiny new toy to play with.
    12-25-2015 08:48 PM
    I am missing HTC Sense TV to use the IR port on my M8.
    12-26-2015 04:05 PM
    Better UI, better multitask performance, and freezing screen on my lumia 720. XD
    Worse UI, in my view. Now it's a kind of illegitimate offspring of WP8.1 and iOS. A kludgy bodge without the simple elegance of the original WP8.1 design language.
    12-27-2015 11:09 AM
    Better Skype integration
    Voice to text for all text fields
    No "resuming" on my 1520
    Send texts and calls through a Windows 10 PC
    Reply to messages from the notification center
    Windows 10 only apps
    Adjustable zoom
    File explorer
    Better search
    ... and other features already mentioned

Truth be told it doesn't feel like a whole new OS. There's a lot of neat new things but nothing that dramatically changes how you use the phone. To be fair, Apple has added a lot of new features over the years but it still feels like iOS6 to me.
    12-27-2015 11:52 AM
    one thing I could not do under the windows phone stock 8 email app was edit the contents of a forwaded email. Now, no problem in outlook under windows 10 mobile. Pretty sweet if u ask me.
    12-27-2015 11:57 AM
    I am starting to notice. They took a lot of stuff out. I bought her a surface 3 so she doesn't want the android. She is now inclined to stick it out and learn the new windows 10. What we are seeing is that they stripped away some really convenient things. Small things but appreciated for their convenience non the less.

I would not. I do not see the benefit to Continuum in my workflow. I would have to carry a keyboard, mouse, and docking station with me to accomplish what I could do with my SP3 and a cable. Not to mention I don't even need the monitor if I don't want it with the SP3. It is a neat idea, but less useful to me.
    12-29-2015 09:41 AM
    Better Skype integration
    How so? I thought the first windows 8 Skype integration was pretty spot on. The app it self sucked and it wasn't simply due to bad networking on either end.

Voice to text for all text fields
    No "resuming" on my 1520
    We don't get resuming but what we get is the phone (and the tablet) freezing up and crashing. Weird artifacts over the screen. We have to back out of the application and reload it.

Send texts and calls through a Windows 10 PC
    You could do this before. This isn't new or necessarily better as far as I can tell. You could do this with any windows 8 and up device via Skype. HEll you can do it from onedrive.

Reply to messages from the notification center
    Windows 10 only apps
    There are just a few of these and they aren't the most popular ones. I would hardly tout this as a PLUS until it's worth looking at. Now drawing attention to it just shows a spot light on the fact that there is so little

Adjustable zoom
    What do you mean by this?

File explorer
    Eventually this came to wp8

Better search
    ... and other features already mentioned

Truth be told it doesn't feel like a whole new OS. There's a lot of neat new things but nothing that dramatically changes how you use the phone. To be fair, Apple has added a lot of new features over the years but it still feels like iOS6 to me.
    12-29-2015 09:45 AM
    How so? I thought the first windows 8 Skype integration was pretty spot on. The app it self sucked and it wasn't simply due to bad networking on either end.
    Skype now integrated into messaging app.

What do you mean by this?
    Under Settings > Display > "Size of text..."
    k72 likes this.
    12-29-2015 10:04 AM
    If nothing else, the new Windows 10 Universal Apps are far faster, start faster, and use less memory than Windows 8 apps.
    12-29-2015 10:18 AM
    Most of bugs
    12-29-2015 10:19 AM
    bugs
    LMAO - you beat me to it!!
    12-29-2015 11:11 AM
    I now have 2 Window 10 phones, but my main phone is still my 8.1 phone. I had the Window 10 phone lock up a few times, where I had to pull the battery, just to power cycle it. The 950 XL,
    I just received for testing, my other Nokia 520 with Windows 10 responds much better then the 950 XL. Every time I go to pick up the 950 XL I accidentally press the camera button, which
    is a pain, I setup double tap, it works much better on the 520 , then the 950. Texting is much better on the Windows 8.1 phone, then the Windows 10 phones. On the Windows 8.1 I can tap once
    to open an app, the Windows 10 phones it's multi times to open the app.
    Last edited by sheldon cohn; 12-30-2015 at 08:56 AM. Reason: correct typostypos
    12-30-2015 08:50 AM
276 ... 89101112