W10M - New features listed (compared to WP8.1)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
New features in the latest build:
1. Texting from your PC through your phone on the same Microsoft Account.
2. Missed call notification to your PC (from Cortana on the phone straight to your desktop.)
3. Map storage on SD card is back and now officially part of the OS!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Search engine can be changed. I put it google default search engine

Yeah, that's new for Edge.

However, in this thread we're talking about things that are new in W10M in comparison to WP8.1. We could already set Google as the default search provider in mobile IE, so that's not really new. It's just catching up to what we already had.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
running latest windows 10 (10525) and windows 10 mobile builds (10572) but this texting functionality is non-existent. Cortana on the PC just does a search for "text" or "send text". Any clues?

ETA: hmm, hang on 10525 isn't the latest build, why aren't I getting updates? set to fast ring and all .... investigating ...

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Noticed something new in the build. In previous builds, the lockscreen follows the same pattern a WP8.1. In the latest build, I noticed that the lock screen has been changed. Instead of swiping up and the whole image goes with it, the time and date goes up with the swipe, with the picture staying still in the background (kind of like a transparent layer over the image). When fully swiped, the image will dissolve into the background. Minor, yes. But I feel the small things are what matters most.

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Something small I noticed yesterday. When the Store app is in landscape your categories are listed across the top of the screen...no hamburger.
That's about all you get for my $.02

ivan sarmiento

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
You guys noticed when you long press your Home button, the screen gets half showing only the top portion?

This is so nice so one can never drop their phone reaching icons on the top of the screen..

*Oh.. it was listed already.. :D

r2SN

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
What about the viewing of battery percentage in the top? So we still have to pull the action centre to view it

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
What do we have in windows 10 mobile that we didn't have in 8.1

First off... I know this line of questioning will lead to some very subjective responses and I take that with a grain of salt and absolutely appreciate anyone who contributes.
Can someone help me understand some of the less subjective "features" of the new mobile os? I just bought my wife a brand new Lumia 950 (upgrade from the Lumia 925). I am having a hard time helping her see the "NEW" features. Keep in mind she is a typical user, fairly techy but not so concerned with novelty fly-by "all the rage" features like androids screen noticing you are drifting off. Doesn’t even need a lot of Apps… just the common most popular ones. On that note of really cool stuff that techy folks can appreciate, she could care less about things like continuum or extra font editing options when in outlook. She has a tablet and there is no reason to go upstairs, dock her phone, and sit stationary to do anything productive or fun when she can move about the house with her tablet.
She wants to know about things that are above what she already had from a non-techy perspective. She wants to feel like she got a new phone and not just a new skin, or theme, wrapped around the same OS. If that's what we wanted we would have bought an iPhone. But we like NOKIA for their innovation and design and consistency. Microsoft is the next best thing for us. Only natural to migrate that direction now that Nokia mobile is prob all but dead.
I understand that better hardware is a plus to some of the more techy of us however, it means didily squat to someone who never thought there phone was "slow" in the first place. I get that the camera kicks *** but again... a novelty. She was fine with her previous camera. The mobile pics she takes and sends to say... hmmm, asking Mom "should I get this for Dad for Christmas or that" simply do not require a "great camera" Same thing with battery life. She was not upset about the batt. Life of her old of phone. She is super down in the dumps about the App Gap, especially when she can't download the dunkin doughnut app that gets you the free coffee. Or the latest app from her favorite retail store. Even the APP from our internet service provider will nto work for the lonely wp OS. It sucks. All of that on top of not being able to walk into almost any store and KNOW they will have every accessory cute, ugly, and in between, known to man for her device. We windows lovers walk a road less traveled and it is starting to wear my wife's feet down. All these things and more have brought me here. I know the WPCentral community can help me out. I have been tasked to buy her a new Samsung galaxy device this weekend and this is my last shot! I don’t want the android device because I love windows but I realize now, it may be the best thing for her.

Anywhoo, So far I have found 3 useful additions that can be considered to improve one’s experience either via functionality, visual aesthetics (maybe more approachable? intuitive?), and added features. I found 3 !!!! Sadly I have searched the internet and couldn’t find much ( I also didn’t receive my 950 XL YET !! haha so I can’t tell her from experience)

1. Respond to text without leaving an app
2. Customize what the swipe gestures do to emails
3. Seems like you can resume EVEN apps you have "backed" out of using the soft key. I don't believe we could do that on 8.1

Thanks in advance for reading and or commenting.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: What do we have in windows 10 mobile that we didn't have in 8.1

It's mostly just improvements on what went before rather all that many new additions, It's less about there being more, more about it being better. I'll take the live-tiles over the dead icons of Android and IOS any day of the week. For those that care, the start screen is way more customisable than before, so people can personalise it in whatever way they see fit, more so than Android and IOS in some respects. A better option for you might have been to just upgrade the 925 to Win10M perhaps... The 925 was a very nice handset, I wish they had stuck with that styling and used it for more models.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12